Sign in to follow this  
southstand

Alan Lee - will he elbow his way to a red card

Having watched the Birmingham game on TV I thought that Alan lee was fortunate not to get a red card.

In the remaining 6 games we just cannot afford to be playing with 10 men - we need all 11 to salvage as many points as we can

We have already seen Russell get sent off more than once, and with Lee and Russell in the same team it would be too much of a risk

Bryan Gunn needs to show his management skills with these two - he needs to take them to one side and tell them the facts of life - we cannot afford red cards and we cannot afford the available playing staff to be reduced by suspensions.

Yes, we will get replies saying that their competitive edge will be reduced if they change their style - nonsense, we need discipline and self control - and another 8 points

We won''t achieve that with violent elbowing , reckless tackles and playing with 10 or even 9 men

I still think we will get the 8 points and be safe by about a point

Same old scummer, always cheating.

I also saw the highlights TV.  While he seemed to have an alright game there were at least two occaisions of him elbowing someone in the head.  That sort of play isn''t going to win him any fans.  If I''d been the ref he''d have been off the pitch, and I''m usually as partisan as the next bloke.Anyone at the game tell us how he played other than the fouls?

[quote user="Jez"]

Anyone at the game tell us how he played other than the fouls?
[/quote]

See the'''' how did Alan Lee play thread ''''

Guess it was his first game for us and he wanted to prove his commitment to us so maybe went in a bit rough but don''t we need a played like that upfront?

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="Jez"]

Anyone at the game tell us how he played other than the fouls?[/quote]

Guess it was his first game for us and he wanted to prove his commitment to us so maybe went in a bit rough but don''t we need a played like that upfront?

[/quote]A bit rough I can deal with, but blatently fouling is just stupid.

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="Jez"]

Anyone at the game tell us how he played other than the fouls?
[/quote]

[/quote]

Angel, he can play tough but fair. Better that he draws flying elbows and let the other team risk having a player sent off. It''s probable that we are not going to go through the six games without dropping points, so we don''t have the luxury, at this stage, of risking losing a game/s we might get something from because a player is either sent off and/or not available in other matches.

Hmm.. I think he might have a bit more savvy than you''re giving him credit for. After Carsley elbowed & flattened  him at the start of the match he didn''t do a Franck, but (I reckon) registered that the ref. wasn''t too concerned about arms flailing about a bit, so waited a while, then had a go himself - nothing that he judged would likely get more than a yellow. If I''m correct he got it just right.

[quote user="ron obvious"]
Hmm.. I think he might have a bit more savvy than you''re giving him credit for. After Carsley elbowed & flattened  him at the start of the match he didn''t do a Franck, but (I reckon) registered that the ref. wasn''t too concerned about arms flailing about a bit, so waited a while, then had a go himself - nothing that he judged would likely get more than a yellow. If I''m correct he got it just right.

[/quote]

Perhaps you saw it Ron. I didn''t have that luxury but I was just going by the input of the original poster that, if it looked like a red, that''s not the kind of chance we need to be taking at this stage. It''s all a guess, of course, as to how a match result might turn out. If one looks at the majority of games where a team has received a red things usually don''t turn out in its favour.

Norwich have been a soft touch for far too long, especially away from home.  I''m not saying do anything too blatant but the odd flying arm or kick to the back of the ankles will make us in to a more difficult side to knock over.  We''ve never truely replaced big Iwan as a physical presence up front-maybe Lee can fill that role

Didn''t Alan Sherear make a career out of jumping with his elbows leading ?Can''t see anything wrong with it personally.   Querdrue made a complete meal of it and was trying to get Lee sent off.

Nice to have a physical presence up front, but I think he was a bit lucky on Saturday though.

I would say that if that was the opposition on the Doc I would have been calling for a ban.

No way.. Never a sendng off. He''s got his eyes completely on the ball. Taylor for Newcatles elbow on Sunday was a sending off as there was obvious intent, Lee''s was a booking at worst.