Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

Delia's has invested 11 million into Norwich

[quote user="colneycanary"]

Interesting story in today''s EDP.  Delia has said she and Michael have invested 11 million into club so far and they never expect to get a financial return on their investment.

http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/Sport/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=Sport&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=Sport&itemid=NOED23%20Mar%202009%2017%3A07%3A23%3A927

[/quote]

Good for them.

I think to be fair to her and Michael, they have given a substantial part of their fortune to NCFC.  The problem is making sure that you have the right people at the club to disperse the money in the best way possible, rather than reserving it for buying off old managers and paying agent fees to get loan players in.

if she never expected a financial return on her investment then why did she put such a huge price (56 million if i remeber rightly) on her shares for any potential buyer?dont get me wrong, i am very grateful that she has pumped some money into the club but but it is wrong to think of her as some kind of philanthropist.

I don''t think £56m was for any potential deal, was the cost of buying her out of the club.  She has said repeatedly that if the right offer came in - looking to put substantial money behind the team and the club as a whole she would step aside.  The Cullen deal never even got to that stage.

Interesting story in today''s EDP.  Delia has said she and Michael have invested 11 million into club so far and they never expect to get a financial return on their investment.

[/quote]

I can''t be bothered to actually read the article.   Just because they have invested X million and they never expect to get a ''financial return'' on their money it does not mean that they do not expect to get their money back.  as with most people that own football clubs they will still want a fair price paid to them when they sell up.  Just look at mike ashley at newcastle. 

Not sure you can say Ashley wanted a fair price - didn''t he want to make a massive profit when the Saudis were interested?

However much she has put into the club has been negated by how far the club has sunk under her leadership imo, even though she didn''t want to sell she should have been seeking a buyer for the good of the club after we were relegated from the prem. She has hung around for far to long when she must have known she could take the club no further.

The most worrying thing about that piece is that she doesn''t rule out another rallying call on the pitch which makes it sound like she''ll still be at the club for a while yet, one embarrassing alcohol fueled rant was enough for me.

Doesn''t tell us anything new really.  That amount has been quoted before, so its a bit of a non-story.

[quote user="rjwc22"]I don''t think £56m was for any potential deal, was the cost of buying her out of the club.  She has said repeatedly that if the right offer came in - looking to put substantial money behind the team and the club as a whole she would step aside.  The Cullen deal never even got to that stage.[/quote]that maybe so, but if she has written off that 11 million as something she doesn''t expect back then surely she can drop the price from 56 to 45 million?she is quite rightly entitled to get her money back, i would want it back if it was me, but if thats the case then she shouldn''t make it apear that her and her husband have GIVEN the club money because quite clearly she hasn''t.neil doncaster is constantly harping on about the reason that ''smaller clubs'' then us  are doing better than us is because they have rich sugar daddies funding them, well, according to that interview, so have we, 11 million pounds worth apparently. now that either means that the club has been mis-managed because how come we are in such dire financial straits especially after a season in the prem., which the majority of clubs above us haven''t had the benefit of recently, or is that 11 million pound that we have been ''given'' by delia not really a gift, but just a share purchase, because there is a big difference.              

[quote user="spudgfsh"][quote user="colneycanary"]

[/quote]

I can''t be bothered to actually read the article.   Just because they have invested X million and they never expect to get a ''financial return'' on their money it does not mean that they do not expect to get their money back.  as with most people that own football clubs they will still want a fair price paid to them when they sell up.  Just look at mike ashley at newcastle. 

[/quote]in terms of english footy - on average £1m per season invested is small beer...and agreed - their no return position is honourable (but unlikely anyway)  - but naturally they want their money back and who wouldn''t??? - but in the current economic climate - this is extremely doubtful - i would estimate if they got back £5-6m that would be all and thats probably next year...more realistically - if they want to sell at the mo - then it would probably be on a ''wolves'' type £1 peppercorn price imo...i see them toughing it out for another season and testing the water for a sale next year - as the world economy recovers - they will hope to get back what they paid...and imo - maybe a trophy will be thrown to the crowd - expect donny to take a walk...unless new significant new investment can be found for next season to plug the turners black-hole,,,its reasonable to assume the board will seek to balance the books and return to profitability,,,and my guess is they will do this via slashing the playing side budget - and as usual selling players - such as clinkers...who might generate a few quid...its doubtful imo that they will seek to sell other assets (land etc) to balance the books - because obviously in their minds this would be at depressed values - and could injure the future selling price of the club...so - i suggest - player sales and gunny/crooky''s budget will bear the brunt...

Fair point.

I think if Delia were to get rid of ND and put a footballing man in place it would help a lot.

For too long we have focused on making NCFC a community business rather than focusing on the football.  Until we can find a sideline that could generate £50m a year (as Prem football would) think all resources should be aimed at the team.

She indicates it could be 11mil, on another thread I think that the accounts show slightly differently. (TFA)?

She also says "does not want a return" that means they are NOT looking for a profit NOT that they don''t want their money back.

As they are just doing this because of a love affair with the fans YOU SHOULD ALL FEEL ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES SO THERE!!!!!!!!

Spin,spin spin

If she loves the fans so much then for the last 6 months or so I have to ask....

Where is she?

Where is she?

We need a strong chairman right now.

Let''s be avin you.....

*hangs head in shame*

Wrong.  It makes no difference whatsoever to the club whether the £11m is a gift or a share purchase because the club has no obligation to pay it back in either case (unlike a loan).  As far as the club is concerned the £11m HAS been given to it.

[quote user="mr carra"]Wrong.  It makes no difference whatsoever to the club whether the £11m is a gift or a share purchase because the club has no obligation to pay it back in either case (unlike a loan).  As far as the club is concerned the £11m HAS been given to it.[/quote]

So she would not look to sell her shares or get the loans back?

I think I just heard the first cuckoo[:D]

Agreed, there is a big difference between a gift and a share purchase as one gives you legal rights and the other does not.

[quote user="The Butler"]

She indicates it could be 11mil, on another thread I think that the accounts show slightly differently. (TFA)?

She also says "does not want a return" that means they are NOT looking for a profit NOT that they don''t want their money back.

As they are just doing this because of a love affair with the fans YOU SHOULD ALL FEEL ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES SO THERE!!!!!!!!

Spin,spin spin

[/quote]exactly this

i dont resent her for wanting her money back, i just resent the fact that her INVESTING in the club is spun to make us all feel grateful for her ''generosity''.i travel all round the country with my work and i am sick of being told by people when they learn that i am a norwich fan that the only reason we are in business is because we have the backing of a wealthy owner, and its all because the nation hears interviews like this. they seem to not hear that we have the highest average attendances in this division, which also beats about a third of the premier teams too, no matter how low we sink . we take thousands of  fans to away games, no matter where they are, when they are or who they are, and, according to a recent survey, are apparently the 17th biggest team in the uk (including celtic and rangers) in terms of support. no. they just think we are small backwater team who has got a celebrity chef bankrolling us, and it is all because of interviews like this.

[quote user="plan b"][quote user="The Butler"]

Spin,spin spin

[/quote]
exactly this

i dont resent her for wanting her money back, i just resent the fact that her INVESTING in the club is spun to make us all feel grateful for her ''generosity''.
i travel all round the country with my work and i am sick of being told by people when they learn that i am a norwich fan that the only reason we are in business is because we have the backing of a wealthy owner, and its all because the nation hears interviews like this. they seem to not hear that we have the highest average attendances in this division, which also beats about a third of the premier teams too, no matter how low we sink . we take thousands of  fans to away games, no matter where they are, when they are or who they are, and, according to a recent survey, are apparently the 17th biggest team in the uk (including celtic and rangers) in terms of support.
no. they just think we are small backwater team who has got a celebrity chef bankrolling us, and it is all because of interviews like this.
[/quote]

Yep, interviews like this where it''s all about her, never mentions the supporters does she?

"It wasn''t all given in one go, it was sort of trickles and trickles and trickles," she said. "But we knew we would never see any of that money again. And we are looking that straight in the eye and not bothering, because it is only money - and it isn''t just the game, it''s the whole community aspect of it and the supporter aspect of it.

"I think probably I have fallen in love with the supporters just as much as I have with the game and therefore it''s kind of for them, really."

Hold on though she has again gone on public record stating that she does not expect to get ANY money back out of the money she has put in. As has been stated above this is completely at odds with the response and public statements when Cullum was sniffing about. I don''t really mind if she does want to get some money back when she walks away but if thats the case be open about it and don''t keep publically saying you will give the club away for nothing and then when someone much richer than you calls your bluff demand £30 a share!

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Hold on though she has again gone on public record stating that she does not expect to get ANY money back out of the money she has put in. As has been stated above this is completely at odds with the response and public statements when Cullum was sniffing about. I don''t really mind if she does want to get some money back when she walks away but if thats the case be open about it and don''t keep publically saying you will give the club away for nothing and then when someone much richer than you calls your bluff demand £30 a share![/quote]

I think she said a return on her money NOT the return of her money.

Only two little words but a world of difference

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Hold on though she has again gone on public record stating that she does not expect to get ANY money back out of the money she has put in. As has been stated above this is completely at odds with the response and public statements when Cullum was sniffing about. I don''t really mind if she does want to get some money back when she walks away but if thats the case be open about it and don''t keep publically saying you will give the club away for nothing and then when someone much richer than you calls your bluff demand £30 a share![/quote]

With respect Jim, she says that she "doesn''t want a return". I would read that as not looking for a profit, rather than not looking to get some or all of her original capital back. As for calling bluffs I suspect that it was more a case of her calling Cullum''s rather than vice versa. As far as I can see Mr Cullum''s little ego trip did no good for the club at all and almost certainly lost us the services of Gow as a permanent signing in pre season if Cam''s info is correct.

Don''t get me wrong, I''m not supporting Delia, and agree that we desperately need change in the boardroom, but I''m fed up with the ongoing eulogisation of Cullum when, in my view, he''s done the club nothing but harm.

http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/Sport/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=Sport&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=Sport&itemid=NOED23%20Mar%202009%2017%3A07%3A23%3A927

[/quote]£11mil...invested in some poor managers and bad buys...same old same old...and to say they dont expect a return for thier investment...deLIAR