Sign in to follow this  
singing canary

delias love for the fans

[quote user="The Butler"]

Words are cheap actions seem very slow in that direction.

[/quote]What....action like £11mDont see much coming from elsewhere, how much are you putting in pal?

No he''s not he''s just an idiot who is insignificant and tries to be significant by saying these things. Just like a lot of the other numbskulls on this board

Well she does not sound like a woman who is desperate to sell and get out , looks like she will stick around untill she finally kills the club off , and as for £11 million , Marcus Evans has pumped that much into Ipswich in a year , if she cannot afford to run a club she should go and the sooner the better.

Do you have say 30m to invest or do you personally know anyone who has 30 odd million to invest? If not then give it a rest and go and support the arms dealer down the road then if that''s the kind of investment you''re looking for.

[quote user="DonnysDoom"]Well she does not sound like a woman who is desperate to sell and get out , looks like she will stick around untill she finally kills the club off , and as for £11 million , Marcus Evans has pumped that much into Ipswich in a year , if she cannot afford to run a club she should go and the sooner the better.
[/quote]

Bet yer man Marcus is chuffed to bits with his return on the extra 9m then[Y] at nearly 700 grand per point it looks like money well spent[:O]

[8] ''e fanned a tygas ''ead wahn day, nailed to a piece of wood......

[quote user="DonnysDoom"] Marcus Evans has pumped that much into Ipswich in a year , if she cannot afford to run a club she should go and the sooner the better.[/quote]Yep - and we beat them TWO NIL!!!![B]

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

......I''m only human - born to make mistakes - line from the Human League classic from 1986!!........

[/quote]I''d forgotten that one; a real cracker, proof that good commercial pop music can be made. An odd group - I  loved Open Your Heart & Love Action (I Believe In Love), but hated Don''t You Want Me. They also wrote the silliest line I''ve ever heard in The Lebanon   ... "And where there used to be some shops" .....

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

......I''m only human - born to make mistakes - line from the Human League classic from 1986!!........

[/quote]I''d forgotten that one; a real cracker, proof that good commercial pop music can be made. An odd group - I  loved Open Your Heart & Love Action (I Believe In Love), but hated Don''t You Want Me. They also wrote the silliest line I''ve ever heard in The Lebanon   ... "And where there used to be some shops" .....

[/quote]Nah, Keep feeling fascination was their best track! I agree DYWM was massively overrated but I think it was the Xmas number one in 1981?About Delia, we are aware that she & MJW love the Club and there''s no question that they have invested large sums of their hard earned money, spread over the near 12.5 years they have been involved at boardroom level.However, as much as we appreciate their generosity, it does not make them or their fellow directors immune to constructive criticism when they have clearly made mistakes that have been costly to the Club. I would never attack them on a personal level but as board members, some of their decisions have to be questioned in the context of where the Club is positioned today - in a relegation battle and suffering a severe shortage of financial capital to invest in improving the squad on a longer term basis instead of continuing short term loans. The statement often quoted by board defenders challenges us to "find someone else to put 30 million into the Club then," is

completely irrelevent as the vast majority of us do not personally know

any multi-millionaires willing to put money in and it is not our job to seek extra investment anyway.

They have appointed Keith Harris to do that .

[quote user="IBA"][quote user="The Butler"]

Words are cheap actions seem very slow in that direction.

[/quote]

What....action like £11m

Dont see much coming from elsewhere, how much are you putting in pal?
[/quote]

£250,000 at the last count pal!

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

Then Wiz how do you feel about Myra Hindley, Mrs Mugabe, Rosemary West and other similiar women who are just the teeniest bit more wicked than the diabolical Delia?

Or has your sense of perspective and common sense completely deserted you?

[/quote]

Eh?

Those woman are nowt to do with, or are destroying the club I love, therfore they are irrelevent to me

[/quote]

Extraordinary and mindblowing.   Mass murderers are not as bad in your eyes than a patently honest woman who owns the club you support and is not running it to your specific satisfaction.  Parochial small mindedness doesn''t begin to describe it.  There is obsession, then pathology, then apparently Wiz!!

OT - The Human League were at their best before they split and two of them set up Heaven 17, leaving the others to recruit a couple of female backing singers and sell out by going poppy. Check out their albums Reproduction and Travelogue - with a fantastic version of Being Boiled (which has an even better bizarre lyric "Listen to the voice of Buddha, saying stop your sericulture" - sericulture is silk worm farming!?!) and the classic Empire State Human. And bear in mind they were making electronic music at the height of punk. Sigh... those were the days...

You really are a classic Wiz.Last week you "detested" me and this week you "despise" Delia.Are you moving on to E''s next month?

[quote user="LQ"]You really are a classic Wiz.

Last week you "detested" me and this week you "despise" Delia.

Are you moving on to E''s next month?

[/quote]

Possibly LQ.[;)]

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

Then Wiz how do you feel about Myra Hindley, Mrs Mugabe, Rosemary West and other similiar women who are just the teeniest bit more wicked than the diabolical Delia?

Or has your sense of perspective and common sense completely deserted you?

[/quote]

Eh?

Those woman are nowt to do with, or are destroying the club I love, therfore they are irrelevent to me

[/quote]

Extraordinary and mindblowing.   Mass murderers are not as bad in your eyes than a patently honest woman who owns the club you support and is not running it to your specific satisfaction.  Parochial small mindedness doesn''t begin to describe it.  There is obsession, then pathology, then apparently Wiz!!

[/quote]

Err? Okay Cambridge.[:D]

[8]

Well the truth may need some
Re-arranging
Stories to be told
And plain to see the facts are changing
No meaning left to hold

And so the conversation turned
Until the sun went down
And many fantasies were learned
On that day
[;)]

To be honest, its really the sycophantic crap that does it for me, be it from the media or from the usual brigade of fans.

I thank her for being a supporter and I thank her for the money that she actually has put into the club (when it hasn''t been shares which have made her and Michael more powerful than the reviled Chase ever was). But the club has been good for her too. It has boosted her profile and kept her in the public eye for a long time. It has boosted her career which may well have died a death long ago.  How much has she really lost from being involved with the club?  She still has the shares too.

Think of Norwich and everybody thinks of Delia. Even when she made an idiot of herself on the pitch in 2005, it meant that Norwich''s brief Premiership stint would always be remembered for her. Not for beating Man Utd. Not for Dean Ashton''s goals. Not for anything else. But for Delia.

We get the spiel that she alone saved the club when in fact she was part of the process. The roles of other figures such as Geoffrey Watling, Martin Armstrong and Gordon Bennett (especially the latter) are slowly airbrushed out of history.  The press never dare question her when we are losing and when we are winning, they provide her with easy answers.   But Delia has been in the media game a long time.  She knows when to speak and (with one major exception) knows when not to.  She knows how to keep the fans happy ("best supporters in the world" - repeat till fade) without publicly addressing the real issues of a club that is in its worst state for a generation.

I don’t hate her and I don’t despise her, but I''m not fooled by the constant hype and revision of history.  Delia is slowly turning into a Diana-esque figure in the eyes of some supporters and the press. The canonization is slowly beginning and it will get worse with time.

She''s a successful lady who along with her husband, put some money into a football club.  She also hasn''t done a very good job in the long run.  She''s not a saint.

[quote user="JJ"]

To be honest, its really the sycophantic crap that does it for me, be it from the media or from the usual brigade of fans.

I thank her for being a supporter and I thank her for the money that she actually has put into the club (when it hasn''t been shares which have made her and Michael more powerful than the reviled Chase ever was). But the club has been good for her too. It has boosted her profile and kept her in the public eye for a long time. It has boosted her career which may well have died a death long ago.  How much has she really lost from being involved with the club?  She still has the shares too.

Think of Norwich and everybody thinks of Delia. Even when she made an idiot of herself on the pitch in 2005, it meant that Norwich''s brief Premiership stint would always be remembered for her. Not for beating Man Utd. Not for Dean Ashton''s goals. Not for anything else. But for Delia.

We get the spiel that she alone saved the club when in fact she was part of the process. The roles of other figures such as Geoffrey Watling, Martin Armstrong and Gordon Bennett (especially the latter) are slowly airbrushed out of history.  The press never dare question her when we are losing and when we are winning, they provide her with easy answers.   But Delia has been in the media game a long time.  She knows when to speak and (with one major exception) knows when not to.  She knows how to keep the fans happy ("best supporters in the world" - repeat till fade) without publicly addressing the real issues of a club that is in its worst state for a generation.

I don’t hate her and I don’t despise her, but I''m not fooled by the constant hype and revision of history.  Delia is slowly turning into a Diana-esque figure in the eyes of some supporters and the press. The canonization is slowly beginning and it will get worse with time.

She''s a successful lady who along with her husband, put some money into a football club.  She also hasn''t done a very good job in the long run.  She''s not a saint.

[/quote]

Absolutely 100% spot on [Y] [*]

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="JJ"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And where on this thread has anybody hyped up Delia or revisited history. The only hype has been against her to try to prove she''s a lia... inconsistent.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="JJ"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And where on this thread has anybody hyped up Delia or revisited history. The only hype has been against her to try to prove she''s a lia... inconsistent.

[/quote]

I''m referring to the fans and media in general, and to be honest, you''d be one of them.

''She knows when to speak and (with one major exception) knows when not to''. I see, so she is criticised for being media savvy, and at the same time derided for daring to having a few drinks and letting her passion show.

[quote user="JJ"]

......But the club has been good for her too. It has boosted her profile and kept her in the public eye for a long time. It has boosted her career which may well have died a death long ago.  How much has she really lost from being involved with the club?  She still has the shares too.

Think of Norwich and everybody thinks of Delia. Even when she made an idiot of herself on the pitch in 2005, it meant that Norwich''s brief Premiership stint would always be remembered for her. Not for beating Man Utd. Not for Dean Ashton''s goals. Not for anything else. But for Delia.........

[/quote]I''m afraid that''s complete rubbish. Her cookery stuff made her a long, long time before her association with NCFC & has a miniscule effect on her ''saleability'' as a celebrity; it''s about as important to her persona as her Christianity - it''s seen as just another little interesting quirk. Her shares are now pretty well worthless.And, I''m afraid, think of Norwich is something 99% of the poulation would never do sans the Delia connection .....

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="JJ"]

......But the club has been good for her too. It has boosted her profile and kept her in the public eye for a long time. It has boosted her career which may well have died a death long ago.  How much has she really lost from being involved with the club?  She still has the shares too.

Think of Norwich and everybody thinks of Delia. Even when she made an idiot of herself on the pitch in 2005, it meant that Norwich''s brief Premiership stint would always be remembered for her. Not for beating Man Utd. Not for Dean Ashton''s goals. Not for anything else. But for Delia.........

[/quote]

I''m afraid that''s complete rubbish. Her cookery stuff made her a long, long time before her association with NCFC & has a miniscule effect on her ''saleability'' as a celebrity; it''s about as important to her persona as her Christianity - it''s seen as just another little interesting quirk. Her shares are now pretty well worthless.

And, I''m afraid, think of Norwich is something 99% of the poulation would never do sans the Delia connection .....

[/quote]

I should have said, "Think of Norwich City and everybody thinks of Delia".  Like it or not, people do.

She was a huge success long before the NCFC involvement.  I just think that its helped keep her in the public eye longer and been an additional benefit.  I''m not naive enough to think she joined the board for that reason, but it didn''t do her any harm

[quote user="JJ"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="JJ"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''m referring to the fans and media in general, and to be honest, you''d be one of them.

[/quote]

Why is that then JJ? Am I one of them because I don''t make stuff up about her? Because I say what I see?

I have no time for most of the reporting of the club in the media. I believe that a lot of posters on this board know more about the club than the journos who write the stories.

But if you believe I have hyped Delia or revisited history to show her in a better light then you could surely produce just one post that proves it.

To be honest, I''ve said my piece and its nice to see the usual suspects get so wound up.  Truth hurts doesn''t it?  Goodnight!

And when it hurts you knowThey love to tell youHow they warned youThey say dont be surprisedAt someones liesThey think they taunt youBut if you can stand the testYou know your worst is betterThan their best

[quote user="First Wizard"]

So City start to pick up points and Ms Slyness crawls out from under her rock.

Yesterday, I foolishly said that if Doncaster was removed, I would try, try and tolerate her, well sod that! I near damn choked over brekkie reading her crap this morning.

Me tolerate her? despise her would be a more accurate description of my true feelings towards her!

[/quote]

It is fair enough for fans to dump all over their Board but I would like to offer a little bit of background if no one minds.

The crap which choked you Wiz was first uttered weeks ago before City started to pick up points or certainly not as many points as they have subsequently picked up.

This is a weeks old story.  The Womans Hour interview arises from an interview which DS gave to The Times where the writer asked her how much money she had paid out since her involvement with your club.  Her answer was "around about eleven". 

This was picked up by the Womans Hour research team and she was phoned weeks ago and fixed to be "slotted in" to a future appearance, either live or recorded. This is standard practice for many programmes, BBC and elsewhere.  You have a whole library of slot in stuff which may get used or may not.  It''s called padding.  Normally for padding Womans Hour and others work two to three weeks in advance, sometimes four, sometimes six.  Some get used, some never make it.  It was a good idea at the time.  This sort of stuff is there in case the main features fall down or fail to turn up or are overtaken by events

It may well be fair to say that she has crawled out from under her stone but I think you should point out that she crawled out quite a while  ago and Lakey''s cobble up is the Mighty Eastern Daily Press following up Someone Else''s Follow Up to a Times story that they missed in the first place.   Apparently floated through the Sports Desk, the News Desk and an Editor who claims to "read" The Times. 

She didn''t ring Womans Hour.  They rang her. This end we know that for a fact (or FACT as some say) because they had an incorrect telephone number for her ("it''s a dead line" - go on, there is material, Wiz).  And, no, before you ask one BBC department does not talk to another.

Womans Hour researcher: "I seem to have a duff phone number for Delia Smith.  It would be FANTASTIC if you could help me out on this."

"Okay, we''ll try.  What is the number you have?  (Spot digits missing).

Me: "Hmmmm....she might have changed it of course.  We''ll see what we can do."[:D]

Leave it an hour and and a half, ring in with the correct number.

Womans Hour researcher: "That is FABULOUS.  Thank you so much."

It should show up on CONTRIBUTORS PAYMENTS around April 3/4. "All contributions are programme coded: for codes see reverse."

So she may have crawled out Wiz but the initial encouragement for her to do so  was  a while ago and fuelled by Charlie and Samantha at Womans Hour but firstly by The Times whose interview they were attempting to follow up and Lo and Behold it eventually falleth Unto The Lakey Bettereth Late Than Never Rule (Pickitupitus: 1:13 "And Saint Archant came upon what the Scribes had written and was smote by it.  And he saw that it was good and lifted it up on high and set it down upon his own stones that his followers should know more." 

Fair enough to blame her for the ills of Norwich City but I honestly don''t think you can pin the timing of the Womans Hour thing on her.

[quote user="JJ"]

To be honest, I''ve said my piece and its nice to see the usual suspects get so wound up.  Truth hurts doesn''t it?  Goodnight!

[/quote]

If that isn''t the epitomy of hit and run then I don''t know what is.