Sign in to follow this  
ur just a man in a jacket

The songs that we never sing anymore....

1. If i had the wings of a sparrow......

2. My old man said be an ipswich fan....

3. Not even ''Who are ya'' at away fans anymore!!

4. You are my Norwich, my only Norwich, you make me happy.......

anymore?? and why dont we sing them anymore at home???

Wings of a sparra and my old man said be an ipswich fan get an occasional airing and will be sung more now the derby approaches, but a lot of the songs now are unimaginative and boring. Take away OTBC, He''s got no hair and we don''t care Bryan Bryan Gunn and the Yellow Army song and we don''t sing much really.

I used to like the songs back in the 60''s and 70''s.  [8]Bertie Mee said to Bill Shankleeeeee .............

"We are top of the league...""Ee i ee i ee i o, it''s up the football league we go""We want five..."need I go on?

I think that there is more variety of chants at away games than there is at home. At home games there is probably only 3 or 4 chants that get sung by enough people to actually notice it. On the bright side that''s still alot better than what the Binners can produce at Portman Road.

I agree Phil,I think as times change and phases pass, new songs need to be created, chants need to be fresh to keep an atmosphere.Obviously, the crowd have played a huge part in our revival (it isn''t over yet ofcourse!) but at times, we haven''t had much to sing about in fairness.

On the ball city is still great but that "we''re the Barclay, we''re the Barclay, we''re the Barclay over here" repeated by the snake pit but using the snake pit instead of Barclay makes me cringe - like a cub scout song!

Here we go for all the oldies!

- I was born under the Barclay stand

- Mariner''s a w**ker

- We will fight forever more because of Boxing Day

- Sing up the Reeves stand

- We''ll take more care of you Kenny Brown, Kenny Brown

- On the pitch, on the pitch, on the pitch

- We all p*ss in a blue and white pot (sung to Yellow Submarine)

- Cheer up George Burley

- Super, super Chrisy Sutton

- Oh Bellamy

- We''re all going on a Europan tour

I could go on but need the sleep (no this is not a song!)

''In your Liverpool slums''You look in the dustbin for something to eat

You find a dead rat and you think it''s a treat

In your Liverpool slums

In your Liverpool slums

You shit on the carpet, you piss in the bath

You finger your grandma, and think its a laugh

In your Liverpool slums

What about "You''re going home in a Norfolk Ambulance"?

It''s good to hear the reappearance of "We are Norwich, Carrow Road" though, which has been sung at the last few home games.

I used to love the classic:

Everywhere we gooo-oooo! Everywhere we go
People always ask us! People always ask us
Whoooooo-we-arre! who we are
Where we come from! where we come from
We always tell''em! We always tell''em
We come from Narwich! Nawty Nawty Narwich
And if they cant hear us! if they cant hear us
..We shout a lit-tle louder! WE SHOUT A LIT-TLE LOUDER!

(Repeat for 90 mins!)  ;-)

[quote user="Don Pratt"]

If someone would shoot that tool who plays records before the game there would be alot more singing I reckon.

[/quote]

I wonder if it is something to do with the police. Play some music... keep ''em quiet sort of thing. Lets have one day getting back back to basics: No loud speaker (well not one you can understand), spend the game standing up, move from one end to the other at half time, have no visitor section, have girls moving thru the crowd selling mars bars, etc., have no fourth official, only ten minutes for half time, have "fair" charges on the goal keeper, no "happy birthdays" on the score board, police sorties into the crowd to grab over enthusiastic supporters, crush barriers for your girlfriend to lean against!

Naw it couldn''t happen could it?

How about

"Keep on scoring Fashanu, Keep on scoring Fashanu"

I don''t know why that isn''t sung anymore

[quote user="Jamo the Lamo"]I miss singing along to Daydream Believer before kick off every Saturday afternoon!!!
[/quote]

So do I. I particularly liked the line telling Mr Burley to go forth and multiply, with his crap football team.

[quote user="Don Pratt"]

If someone would shoot that tool who plays records before the game there would be alot more singing I reckon.

[/quote]

I''ve often felt like shooting the "DJ" as well, mate. Talk about a deadful racket! I reckon if you were to conduct a poll on match days at Carrow Road, as to whether the pre-match "music" should stay or go, 90% of respondents would answer GO!

The strange  thing when looking back at the songs we used to sing was how back in the late 60''s and early 70''s  we would quite happily sing other clubs anthems. The Barclay would regularly hold the scarfs above our heads singing Liverpools "You''ll never walk alone" and we had a version of West Hams "I''m for ever blowing bubbles" which I seem to remember ended with "Tottenhams always running, Arsenals running too, we''re the barclay Boot Boys[:S], running after you."

"Knees up mother brown" kept us warm on a cold day and one of the most popular I remember was "We hate Nottingham Forest" to the same tune as "We will follow the city" which is where the "and ipswich" bit in that song originates from.

And this little gem from the 60''s :-

In Norwich fair city

Where the football''s so pretty

I first set my eyes on Terry Allcock

As he wheeled his wheelbarrow

Through King Street and Carrow

Singing.... clap-clap clap-clap-clap clap-clap-clap-clap NORWICH

That afternoon in Wetherspoons the day we got promoted was a fantastic afternoon.  I headed up from West London and thought to myself I will get up there for about 12 for a few beers before the game to turn into Watford High Street to hear OTBC greet me as I turned the corner about 1/2 mile away and then to see that I was obviously late arriving and the party had already started as I could barely get in the door.  That and the UEFA cup games, and standing on the Kop when Goss scored for the last game it was open terracing are some of the best memories I have watching Norwich. 

i just dont understand we why sing 2 or 3 songs at home matches. away matches we sing nearly all the old songs. we dont even sing 1-0 to the norfolk boys!! (I know it is rare we are 1-0 ahead at homr recently!!).

also, if you look at late 90''s / early 00''s we sang a range of songs and the atmosphere felt so much better..... none of this barclay / snake pit rivalry either!!