Sign in to follow this  
CHIRPING CANARY

Where are you all based?

Born in cromer,moved to Norwich 1939,First game at CR 1946 v Sarfend, joined RN 1951, moved to King''s Lynn and still there.

[quote user="3canaries"]

[quote user="Herman "]Welwyn Garden City,Herts. It''s a bit like one of the footballers WAGS; Pretty to look at but dull as ditchwater![/quote]

Herman - I work in Welwyn Garden City 3 days per week, I reside at the ''Stanborough'' Premier Inn during the week.  Work down Broadwater Road.

[/quote]

If you need a pub for football etc.try O''Neills in the town centre,about 15 mins walk.Can be a bit like Moes Tavern but the beer is good! What do you do on Broadwater?

Small but quite attractive village just outside Bingley in Yorkshire. Originally from Malvern in Worcestershire. Grandfather is a proud canary and has been for over 90 years. His first game was in 1923, I think!!!!!

[quote user="obiwancanary"][quote user="Berkshire Canary"][quote user="Marty"][quote user="Berkshire Canary"]

[quote user="obiwancanary"]Swindon now - having lived in Reading for ten years. (incidentally I will be running the Reading half marathon this weekend in my Norwich Top so for all of the Reading based supporters on here please feel free to give me some encouragement!)[/quote]

I am doing the Reading Half as well so will keep an eye out for you. [:D]

[/quote]

I didn''t realise it was so early in the year, i might schedule it for next year, how popular is it? I''ve run 2 HMs and will do more this year. What times are you aimining for, or is it just about finishing? Good luck.

[/quote]

Reading is always a popular one, usually it fills up as it is considered a decent pre London Marathon training run. This is the first year I have entered this one but have been told it is a good race, timewise I am looking to get as close to the 2 hour mark as I can - I am training for the Stratford upon Avon Marathon and also did the Bisham Half last weekend, hoping legs have recovered in time for Reading!!! [:D] Which other Half''s have you done??

[/quote]

This is my first and I am aiming for around 2hr15. I think there are about 17,000 running this year. Berkshire are you going to be wearing your Norwich top too?

[/quote]

Blimey, that is a massive turn out, I didn''t realise it was so big. I might check the Stratford upon Avon one too, not so far for me. I have done the Nottingham HM twice and will do it again this year, it is in September so nice time of the year since you have all summer to prepare. I am aiming for a sub 1h 30 this year, a tough ask I think but I''ll do my best. I''ve got a 10K in Derby next month, it finishes in the football stadium, I think the Reading one does too doesn''t it? I think it takes a fair old time to recover from races as longs as HM''s, I am a big believer in rest, rest and more rest! Good luck.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="KingsLynnCanary"]Despite my name.. Hunstanton[/quote]

Don''t you mean Hunston which is near Snetsum and Dersnum?

[/quote]ignore the post above - it was in reply to this... i''m such an amateur :(

[quote user="pat51"]Alton in North Hampshire....also lived in Reading for 9 years.[/quote]No way me too, currently in Bath at University. Before moving to Alton used to live in Langley.

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="Irish canary"][quote user="Chirping Canary"]

Hi. as i read everyones posts every day. I just wondered where you are all based.

I live in Wokingham, near Reading, Berkshire. i used to live with my family in Diss.

[/quote]

Dublin, Ireland    [B]

[/quote]

Well done on the 6 Nations btw!! A few happy fellows down my local on saturday.

[/quote]

Cheers Herman, there were some serious celebrations for it here!! Only recovering now! Been waiting awhile for that! Great match

malaga spain just moved here from varese italy its such a bummer not being in the premiership and thus no games on sky but at least me shirt gets alot of wear

Stevenage. Born in Yarmouth, parents live in Acle and relatives near Sherringham.

Watch Stevenage Borough in the BSP quite often and they could make the league via the play offs so if City get relegated they will only be one promotion/relegation away from playing each other!

[quote user="Marty"][quote user="obiwancanary"][quote user="Berkshire Canary"][quote user="Marty"][quote user="Berkshire Canary"]

[quote user="obiwancanary"]Swindon now - having lived in Reading for ten years. (incidentally I will be running the Reading half marathon this weekend in my Norwich Top so for all of the Reading based supporters on here please feel free to give me some encouragement!)[/quote]

I am doing the Reading Half as well so will keep an eye out for you. [:D]

[/quote]

I didn''t realise it was so early in the year, i might schedule it for next year, how popular is it? I''ve run 2 HMs and will do more this year. What times are you aimining for, or is it just about finishing? Good luck.

[/quote]

Reading is always a popular one, usually it fills up as it is considered a decent pre London Marathon training run. This is the first year I have entered this one but have been told it is a good race, timewise I am looking to get as close to the 2 hour mark as I can - I am training for the Stratford upon Avon Marathon and also did the Bisham Half last weekend, hoping legs have recovered in time for Reading!!! [:D] Which other Half''s have you done??

[/quote]

This is my first and I am aiming for around 2hr15. I think there are about 17,000 running this year. Berkshire are you going to be wearing your Norwich top too?

[/quote]

Blimey, that is a massive turn out, I didn''t realise it was so big. I might check the Stratford upon Avon one too, not so far for me. I have done the Nottingham HM twice and will do it again this year, it is in September so nice time of the year since you have all summer to prepare. I am aiming for a sub 1h 30 this year, a tough ask I think but I''ll do my best. I''ve got a 10K in Derby next month, it finishes in the football stadium, I think the Reading one does too doesn''t it? I think it takes a fair old time to recover from races as longs as HM''s, I am a big believer in rest, rest and more rest! Good luck.

[/quote]

Stratford Upon Avon sounds like a nice one, also there is an option to do 1 lap of the course as a Half Marathon or 2 laps as the full Marathon which is pretty good. If you do enter it let me know. Reading Half does finish in the Madjeski Stadium, sounds like there will be more people there than at a Reading home game!!! Bet the Nottingham Half is a nice one, good luck with your 10k.

Obiwancanary - I am probably going to be wearing a Reading Roadrunners T-shirt on Sunday so if some random wearing a green and blue T-shirt approaches you it will probably be me!!! [:D]

Berkshire Canary, i didn''t realise the Stratford HM was next month, I am away in Latvia that weekend. Maybe one to look at for next year. I tend to plan more the the longer races later in the year, like the Notts and Leicester ones. My theory is that I get a few 10K''s under my belt first and have the whole summer to get into the longer distance stuff, but this year I am ahead of shcedule so may look to do a HM earlier. The Notts HM is good, great atmosphere and most of the course is nice, good crowd too, have you considered it?  

[quote user="waggers"]

Stevenage. Born in Yarmouth, parents live in Acle and relatives near Sherringham.

Watch Stevenage Borough in the BSP quite often and they could make the league via the play offs so if City get relegated they will only be one promotion/relegation away from playing each other!

[/quote]

Are Boro still in with a shout for the FA Trophy.A large crew of my mates went the other year to Wembley to see them,sounded like a good day out.

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="waggers"]

[/quote]

Are Boro still in with a shout for the FA Trophy.A large crew of my mates went the other year to Wembley to see them,sounded like a good day out.

[/quote]

They certainy are, made the final again this time against York City. Saturday 9th.May 2:00 at Wembley. I think that given the curent league positions of the two clubs, Boro will be favourites. I went last time too and if you get the chance to go this time I would take it if you can. I think it will be a while before City get to play there :( 

[quote user="waggers"][quote user="Herman "][quote user="waggers"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

They certainy are, made the final again this time against York City. Saturday 9th.May 2:00 at Wembley. I think that given the curent league positions of the two clubs, Boro will be favourites. I went last time too and if you get the chance to go this time I would take it if you can. I think it will be a while before City get to play there :( 

[/quote]

Sadly i think you are right there.I was in Barcelona last time so will definitely go this time.I must admit it was a bit odd watching a replay of Boro at Wembley at 2am in a Spanish bar!

[quote user="Marty"]Berkshire Canary, i didn''t realise the Stratford HM was next month, I am away in Latvia that weekend. Maybe one to look at for next year. I tend to plan more the the longer races later in the year, like the Notts and Leicester ones. My theory is that I get a few 10K''s under my belt first and have the whole summer to get into the longer distance stuff, but this year I am ahead of shcedule so may look to do a HM earlier. The Notts HM is good, great atmosphere and most of the course is nice, good crowd too, have you considered it?  [/quote]

Yeah, I think it used to be around October time but they seem to have brought it forward, nevermind, I can let you know what it is like for next year. Would be interested in doing the Nottingham Half, Bath is also one which is on the list - I am aiming to try and do 2 Marathons a year and Halfs are ideal for training and getting up to speed, it is also a great way of seeing the country. Will have a look at the Notts one and am hoping to do Norwich again in November!!!

[quote user="Berkshire Canary"]

[quote user="Marty"]Berkshire Canary, i didn''t realise the Stratford HM was next month, I am away in Latvia that weekend. Maybe one to look at for next year. I tend to plan more the the longer races later in the year, like the Notts and Leicester ones. My theory is that I get a few 10K''s under my belt first and have the whole summer to get into the longer distance stuff, but this year I am ahead of shcedule so may look to do a HM earlier. The Notts HM is good, great atmosphere and most of the course is nice, good crowd too, have you considered it?  [/quote]

Yeah, I think it used to be around October time but they seem to have brought it forward, nevermind, I can let you know what it is like for next year. Would be interested in doing the Nottingham Half, Bath is also one which is on the list - I am aiming to try and do 2 Marathons a year and Halfs are ideal for training and getting up to speed, it is also a great way of seeing the country. Will have a look at the Notts one and am hoping to do Norwich again in November!!!

[/quote]

I have never done a full marathon, I only started running 2 years ago, I will try one in a year or two. I was plagued by shin splints in year one, so had to limit the miles. So Notts is the only large race I have experienced, it seems well organised and popular with all sorts of runners. So for the time being its 10k races for me until I make the step up to the HM. I think I would need to change my training for the full marathon, slow down a bit! Let me know if you are going to do the Notts, it''s in mid September, full and half marathon, although only a small fraction brave the full marathon.