Sign in to follow this  
Eam

Is it possible to support two teams?

When I lived in the Lowestoft area I knew several people who had season tickets for both Norwich and Ipswich. Though some of them were just general football fans some of them said they supported both teams equally! This maybe an extreme example but I wonder if this still goes on. I admit to having a soft spot for Peterborough ( my birthplace) but always hope Norwich thrash them when they meet.

[quote user="Eam"]When I lived in the Lowestoft area I knew several people who had season tickets for both Norwich and Ipswich. Though some of them were just general football fans some of them said they supported both teams equally! This maybe an extreme example but I wonder if this still goes on. I admit to having a soft spot for Peterborough ( my birthplace) but always hope Norwich thrash them when they meet.[/quote]It depends how one characterizes ''support'' I think. If one defines support as the unconditional love for a particular sporting team then by definition you cannot support more than one team. However, should be be compelled to accept that this is a fair understanding of ''support''? I don''t see why myself. [Y]

It is possible, I believe, and I have supported two clubs financially for many years which goes back to my childhood.

The first pro game I saw was Wolves in their heyday and while they were then a great team I felt no attachment to them although I admired the team.  The first local pro side was Colchester and I instantly felt differently about it - whether it was the tiny ground or the corrugated iron flapping in the wind I cannot say.  It seemed much more "against the odds" but the atmosphere seemed much more personal as well.

I had many happy holidays in Lincoln with grandparents both of whom were lifelong fans of the mighty Imps and once again I got hooked on that team and I suppose their enthusiasm in all weathers was infectious.

Or perhaps I just naturally gravitate to underdogs.............or just that times were different.  Lincoln''s keeper used to arrive on his bike for home games.  4x4 was just a measurement.[:|]

Neither club have been particularly successful so I have never progressed beyond the grass roots stuff really.

[quote user="First Wizard"]No for me, I like Kirkley & Pakefield (K&P) but I''d never support them..........only City hold my affection.[W][/quote]If City holding your affection means unrelenting moaning about the owners, board, managers, players and often fans on here, then I dread to think what you would be like if they didn''t ''hold your affection''! Dear, oh dear! [:S]

A wonderful man I knew, now deceased, Les Ward was the hospital chaplain at the Norfolk and Norwich. Raised in Ipswich he was an avid fan and they would always be his ''first'' team. But having lived in Norwich for over 30years, he had a season ticket and grew to love them ''almost'' as much. He was an odd example of someone who managed to support both ''East Anglian'' sides and had no problem with it. But then he was a very diplomatic, calm and rational man,

Being a passionate soul myself it could only ever be Norwich. That said I have a ''soft spot'' for one or two sides due to friends (Walsall & Forest) and an irrational dislike of others (West Brom, Sheff Utd, Everton, Luton (they just avoided relegation for years and annoyed me with the plastic pitch nonsesne).

So perhaps in conclusion: its a personality thang!

Two teams is one thing, but two rivals? Seems a bit odd! Imagine supporting Liverpool and Everton, or Sheff Wednesday and United, or Celtic and Rangers!! Although i guess it should makes sense since if you''re from those cities, why not support both their teams? I think you have to be not that into football or into a particular team to do it though. Do i recall Prince Naseem saying he supported both Sheffield teams?

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="First Wizard"]No for me, I like Kirkley & Pakefield (K&P) but I''d never support them..........only City hold my affection.[W][/quote]If City holding your affection means unrelenting moaning about the owners, board, managers, players and often fans on here, then I dread to think what you would be like if they didn''t ''hold your affection''! Dear, oh dear! [:S][/quote]

Strange how you omit my positive posts on the players, Gunn team and the Alan Lee signing isn''t it? Dear, oh dear![:S]

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

It is possible, I believe, and I have supported two clubs financially for many years which goes back to my childhood.

The first pro game I saw was Wolves in their heyday and while they were then a great team I felt no attachment to them although I admired the team.  The first local pro side was Colchester and I instantly felt differently about it - whether it was the tiny ground or the corrugated iron flapping in the wind I cannot say.  It seemed much more "against the odds" but the atmosphere seemed much more personal as well.

I had many happy holidays in Lincoln with grandparents both of whom were lifelong fans of the mighty Imps and once again I got hooked on that team and I suppose their enthusiasm in all weathers was infectious.

Or perhaps I just naturally gravitate to underdogs.............or just that times were different.  Lincoln''s keeper used to arrive on his bike for home games.  4x4 was just a measurement.[:|]

Neither club have been particularly successful so I have never progressed beyond the grass roots stuff really.

[/quote]

good lad

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="First Wizard"]No for me, I like Kirkley & Pakefield (K&P) but I''d never support them..........only City hold my affection.[W][/quote]If City holding your affection means unrelenting moaning about the owners, board, managers, players and often fans on here, then I dread to think what you would be like if they didn''t ''hold your affection''! Dear, oh dear! [:S][/quote]

Strange how you omit my positive posts on the players, Gunn team and the Alan Lee signing isn''t it? Dear, oh dear![:S][/quote]Ah! You mean ''Lardy'' Gunn and ''bloody loanee''s'' Lee. Sorry wiz, slipped my mind! [;)]

I''m with you, Eam.  I''ve supported Posh since I was knee-high to a grasshopper and so do all my family, but then I moved to Norfolk and bought a Norwich season ticket.  I still go to London Road when I''m home and follow their results closely, but when it comes down to it, if the two clubs meet I''d support Norwich.  My family and I have been hoping for the day when they meet so it would be very ironic if Norwich went down and Posh went up!

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="First Wizard"]

Strange how you omit my positive posts on the players, Gunn team and the Alan Lee signing isn''t it? Dear, oh dear![:S][/quote]Ah! You mean ''Lardy'' Gunn and ''bloody loanee''s'' Lee. Sorry wiz, slipped my mind! [;)]

[/quote]

Nah Lapps, I meant:

http://www.pinkun.com/cs/forums/1620000/ShowPost.aspx

or even:

http://www.pinkun.com/cs/forums/1575040/ShowPost.aspx

Maybe even a post on this thread:

http://www.pinkun.com/cs/forums/1621037/ShowPost.aspx

Or again:

http://www.pinkun.com/cs/forums/1620845/ShowPost.aspx

So yes Lapps, whilst I agree, I can often do negative, I also do positive too, and this is often over looked by the point scoring fraturnity on here![;)]

[quote user="First Wizard"]So yes Lapps, whilst I agree, I can often do negative, I also do positive too, and this is often over looked by the point scoring fraturnity on here![;)][/quote]I can''t argue with that wiz. I would never put you in the same catagory as some of the anti-board trolls on here who''s only ambition is to de-stabilise the club and divide the fans. If I had to put you in a group it would probably be the same one that my mother-in-law is in! [:D]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="First Wizard"]So yes Lapps, whilst I agree, I can often do negative, I also do positive too, and this is often over looked by the point scoring fraturnity on here![;)][/quote]I can''t argue with that wiz. I would never put you in the same catagory as some of the anti-board trolls on here who''s only ambition is to de-stabilise the club and divide the fans. If I had to put you in a group it would probably be the same one that my mother-in-law is in! [:D][/quote]

ROFLMAO.............Best laugh today lapps. [img]http://carrowroad.net/carrow1/Smileys/new/rofl.gif[/img]

You can only support one team, yes you can have a soft spot for other teams and watch our for their results but there''s only room for one team in most people''s hearts

I only ''support'' Norwich, but follow other teams (Barcelona, Almeria and often a random prem team for a season or two), but my Grandad is a funny one, because he was Born in Eastbourne, and suppoted Eastbourne Boro, he also went to brighton games, (a team he seems to look out for more now, due to ease of getting the results in any detail), he then moved near Chelsea because of work, and supported them, his fave player ever is Roy Bently, a very good chelsea striker i belive, He now Supports Norwich, he watched them for 3/4 years when he first came to Norwich, then stopped for a few years, until i wanted to go, then he started again, so i think you can support more than one team (i know this was not all at the same time)

I will always support Reading FC, but I was born in Hereford so I have a soft spot for them too. And I used to have family in Edinburgh (sadly all deceased now) who supported Hearts, so I always keep an eye out for their score too.

I''m not here to pick fights, I just wanna debate football/

My first team is NCFC...but my 2nd team is Darlington. I go and watch them just as much as Norwich, and keep a firm interest...but whenever someone asks me who i support...its always Norwich.

My Dad is from Norwich, and my Mum Darlington - thats the reasoning behind it...not a bad one i think.

I wait with bated breathe every 1st round of the League cup to see if we get drawn together...i think its only been once EVER.

[quote user="Eam"]When I lived in the Lowestoft area I knew several people who had season tickets for both Norwich and Ipswich. Though some of them were just general football fans some of them said they supported both teams equally! This maybe an extreme example but I wonder if this still goes on. I admit to having a soft spot for Peterborough ( my birthplace) but always hope Norwich thrash them when they meet.[/quote]

I started a post very simular to this last year and as im sure you are finding out alot of people have 2 teams for one reason or another.

I have 2 teams,always have and always will. When they have played each other i would always hope for a draw unless it was a important game to do with winning a title,promotion or relegation !

Born in London,ended up supporting Villa since the age of 4..Moved to Norfolk when i was 8 and have always supported Norwich ever since!

[quote user="singing canary"]

england and norwich !!!!

mind you when i was young i was mad on republic of ireland , as andy townesend was a hero of mine !!!

[/quote]NAARICH THEN ENGLAND [Y]

[quote user="cityangel"]You can only support one team, yes you can have a soft spot for other teams and watch our for their results but there''s only room for one team in most people''s hearts[/quote]

My thoughts exactly.Have a large soft spot for Spurs,because of family,but still could have given Robbie Keane a slap for celebrating in front of the Jarrold,(and the old bat sitting a few rows behind).

Only I feel if you have parents that were born in different towns/citys hence you follow the 2 teams!

Otherwise like me I''m Norwich only although I do want other teams to do well such as King''s Lynn and AFC Wimbledon!

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="First Wizard"]So yes Lapps, whilst I agree, I can often do negative, I also do positive too, and this is often over looked by the point scoring fraturnity on here![;)][/quote]I can''t argue with that wiz. I would never put you in the same catagory as some of the anti-board trolls on here who''s only ambition is to de-stabilise the club and divide the fans. If I had to put you in a group it would probably be the same one that my mother-in-law is in! [:D][/quote]

ROFLMAO.............Best laugh today lapps. [img]http://carrowroad.net/carrow1/Smileys/new/rofl.gif[/img]

[/quote]

Have to agree - that is hilarious Lapps. [:D][:D] 

I think it is possible to support two or more teams on a superficial level, but I think you can only really care deeply about one club - the only club I care about who bring me real joy and despair is Norwich City. I have soft spots for other teams for various reasons - Doncaster (my mother''s home town where I spent happy childhood holidays with my grandparents) Gorleston (because I live there obviously) West Ham (because of Hurst, Moore and Peters and their reputation for playing good football) and one or two others, but whenever they play Norwich that goes out of the window and the only thing I want is a City win.

I only support one club and thats Norwich City. However i do have a soft spot for King''s Lynn because they are another Norfolk team and doing fairly well nowadays. I often look out for their results to see how they are getting on.