Sign in to follow this  
|BA

What comes first - Atmosphere or performance?

Performance certainly generates atmosphere (or it used to!!), can atmosphere stifle a performance, guess so...we''ve all be to semi finals eh?

the atmosphere starts before a ball is kicked so its the atmosphere

were all ''supporters'' hence were then to support and encourage the team on

Whatever the answer, i`ve always wondered what anyones got to lose by simply getting behind the team first, then going quiet or having a bit of a moan if there`s no response.  Singing, shouting and clapping isn`t painful, it`s actually good fun!  I think the mentality of your average footy fan is changing from symbiotic relationship with their team to one where you turn up and expect to be entertained even if the ground is a morgue.  I`ve even come across people i know for a fact are very quiet at games moaning about a lack of atmosphere......[8-)]

What''s missing is a sustained good run - like in promotion year (or further back still to the early 90s) when we could win 3 or 4 games on the spin. When the players were settled and all had an identity with us, when we all had heroes and favourites. We all relished a game and thought we were going to win. Confidence breeds confidence from both sides of the white line.

Now we win one, we lose 3 we draw 2. Or similar combinations. IMO it''s the lack of hope or confidence amongst the fans in general, and it seems to be the same on the pitch. At the start of games the fans are generally behind the team, but if things don''t go well the ground is soon quiet. We then fear the worst.

The better the performance the better the atmosphere - Tuesday was good, Saturday should build from that and so on. This season we have seen a succession of false starts and very few genuinely good games when it looked like we were playing to win.

Of course there are areas of the ground where the only animation amongst the crowd is to moan at the ref and to cheer a goal then lapse back into silence. I can''t understand this, but if anyone can, give us a clue!!

[quote user="gazzathegreat"] Confidence breeds confidence from both sides of the white line. [/quote]Hooray... a decent sound bite - well done!