Sign in to follow this  
James Kent

Bryan Gunn may be the right/wrong man for the job but...

It''s too early to tell. Yes he has some good results like the 4-0 win against Barnsley and the recent wins against QPR and Cardiff. He has also had some great draws against Doncaster and Wolves.

However, he has had some poor results like the defeat against Coventry and the very poor 2-0 defeat against Blackpool.

Now I will concede Bryan Gunn was not my first choice, but I am willing to give him time to prove himself.

If he keeps Norwich up then he deserves a chance next season. If we do get relegated, but makes a good fight of it then he deserves at least six months of the new season.

My point is this in football it''s very easy to get carried away with wins/losses, but it''s the bigger picture that matters. Can Bryan Gunn be a long time good manager?

That is not going be determined by beating Cardiff, but what happens for the rest of this season and next season. Therefore lets not make judgements on each individual result and make our judgements in May.

Finally a message to the Board please don''t offer Bryan Gunn a 5 year deal if he keeps us up. Give him a deal to the end of next season. That way if it doesn''t work out you only have to pay off the rest of the season.

I would agree with that, he has an impossible job on his hands, will need to be given enough time to see if he is good manager, who else would actually want to manage us anyway?

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]he''s not the man for me - he may well be a ncfc legend - but he''s way too close to the board imo...
[/quote]

Just cause he hasn''t got the anti everyone Roeder atitude doesn''t mean he won''t be a good manager!

The 1st poster is correct!

Is Gunny just the popular - stand, shout and wave your arms about ''Figurehead''? Whilst Butterworth and Crooky etc, are actually doing the ''proper stuff'' of team selection, training, coaching and tactics?

Read Gunny''s book, it might give you a better insight into the man he is.He is more than capable of doing a good job here, and he''s learnt from the best.

Don''t know but Crooky is the reason Fotheringham is no longer your captain, or currently on the field.

Masterstroke understatement by Gunny:  "We had a chat and thought it would be better if.............................."

I believe it was Crook who actually had the "chat", if you can call it that.[+o(]

[quote user="AJ"]Read Gunny''s book, it might give you a better insight into the man he is.

He is more than capable of doing a good job here, and he''s learnt from the best.
[/quote]

My signed copy of "In Where it Hurts" is only a couple of feet away. 

I love Ferguson''s forward in which he reveals he played him up front in a Reserve game."He scored a brilliant goal and set off in a complete lap of honour, running round the touchline slapping people''s hands.  It was a magnificent moment."

[:D]

I like Gunny, he''s a legend of the club, maybe in this difficult moment he brought a bit of enthusiasm, but he''s totally unexperienced as a manager, I don''t think that he could carry the team since the beginning of the new season.

I think Gunny and his coaching team could be a sucess in the long-term. He has a learning-curve in front of him and we are few games left so we may well go down. But I would still stick with the coaching team for next season whatever the outcome of this season. Gunny and Co. care about NCFC, they all wanted the job and they all gave up secure positions to join up at Norwich City.

Going back to our era of success, previous managers such as Bond, Brown, Stringer and Walker all built on the acheivments of their predecessor and we were in an upward projectorary at that time. If Gunn can just halt the slide into oblivion he will have achieved as much as our more illustrious managers.

He needs time, let''s give him that.

Well at least he, or his backroom staff, are at long last realising that our fringe players need to have regular competetive games!! Well done however organised it[Y]http://new.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PinkUnOnline&tCategory=Norwich&itemid=NOED13%20Mar%202009%2009%3A59%3A32%3A670

[quote user="Mello Yello"]Is Gunny just the popular - stand, shout and wave your arms about ''Figurehead''? Whilst Butterworth and Crooky etc, are actually doing the ''proper stuff'' of team selection, training, coaching and tactics?[/quote]

That is where my thinking has been going for some time. Never really that clear what he does with a coach, assistent, head of recruitment etc. Fair play to them all - it might just work if they are all given a chance. That means three years not six months

[quote user="astrodyne"]Well at least he, or his backroom staff, are at long last realising that our fringe players need to have regular competetive games!! Well done however organised it[Y]

http://new.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PinkUnOnline&tCategory=Norwich&itemid=NOED13%20Mar%202009%2009%3A59%3A32%3A670

[/quote]

You can thank Bruce Rioch for advising the board to re-enter the reserve league!

Gunn cannot be compared to any other Norwich manager as he has absolutely no experience except for corporate hospitality, which doesn''t exactly lend itself to what he is doing now.

I find it hard to see how the set-up of more qualified people beneath you can work as it has no logic to it. It was a P.R stunt from the club and I wish Gunn had gone in at a lower level to learn the trade instead of accepting the job, but it''s too late now.

I still see Butterworth or Crook as the next City manager, with Gunn back serving cheese and biscuits to complete strangers. Hopefully I''ll be wrong and Gunn will be a genius, but I wouldn''t place any money on it.

I know a few people have said it but I cannot agree with this idea that the board might promote Crook or Butterworth and move Gunny back to scouting etc.  I think they have brought them on as a team and they will succeed or fail as a unit. 

I also cannot see Crook or Butterworth ever doing that to BG.