Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

2 Clean Sheets, 2 Wins, Surprise Surprise

2 clean sheets in the last 3 matches, 2 wins. Simple. Defence has been the problem all season, should we have sold Shackell?Based on his performances since his return thats a defo no. You sort out the defence you win football matches. Shame its taken us all season to figure that one out.

I dont think the clean sheets are down to shacks.   Bertie was miles better than grounds has been so is it down to him?  OUr full backs have been our real problem this season,  not centre halfs.  Doc and stef will be good for us,  bertie too I would love to sign for the left which just leaves a new right back being desperately needed!

Against QPR we were fortunate to keep a clean sheet,  and against cardiff we defended from the front with mooney and gow pressurising their back 4 into mistake,  which gives out back 4 an easier time.  More of the same!!

yeh true, attack is the best form of defence. Too many times nothing happens up front and were on the back foot again. Tuesday we saw the ball stay up there for long periods of time.

Re: Shackell, maybe the time away at Wolverhampton Wanderers has given him a fresh perspective and he''s improved because of leaving for the four or so months that he did. When he was here he was under the cosh so to speak with a fair few supporters who felt, rightly or wrongly, that he''d stalled in his development. The breathing space with having been out of the spotlight quite so much may have attributed to him improving his game and mental strength - remember that when he was here he was pretty much a shoe-in for the left centreback role, at Wolves he''s had to fight for a place, and Mick McCarthy has publicly stated that Shackell had gotten his head down and was working hard, albeit with limited success at breaking into the first team at Wolves. Improvements even ever so slightly, are still improvements. 

Id love to see us buy him back and given his failure to break into the Wolves first team, and that they will most likely be in the prem next season, think that its a real possibilty. As long as were in the Championship of course.

[quote user="Anderz"]Re: Shackell, maybe the time away at Wolverhampton Wanderers has given him a fresh perspective and he''s improved because of leaving for the four or so months that he did. When he was here he was under the cosh so to speak with a fair few supporters who felt, rightly or wrongly, that he''d stalled in his development. The breathing space with having been out of the spotlight quite so much may have attributed to him improving his game and mental strength - remember that when he was here he was pretty much a shoe-in for the left centreback role, at Wolves he''s had to fight for a place, and Mick McCarthy has publicly stated that Shackell had gotten his head down and was working hard, albeit with limited success at breaking into the first team at Wolves. Improvements even ever so slightly, are still improvements. [/quote]

Good points here. A change is as good as a rest comes to mind

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

I dont think the clean sheets are down to shacks.   Bertie was miles better than grounds has been so is it down to him?  OUr full backs have been our real problem this season,  not centre halfs.  Doc and stef will be good for us,  bertie too I would love to sign for the left which just leaves a new right back being desperately needed!

Against QPR we were fortunate to keep a clean sheet,  and against cardiff we defended from the front with mooney and gow pressurising their back 4 into mistake,  which gives out back 4 an easier time.  More of the same!!

[/quote]

Hit the nail on the head Sir. The full-backs have been the weakest link in the team this season making the centre-backs look weaker the perhaps they actually are.

[quote user="Barclayman"]2 clean sheets in the last 3 matches, 2 wins. Simple. Defence has been the problem all season, should we have sold Shackell?

Based on his performances since his return thats a defo no. You sort out the defence you win football matches. Shame its taken us all season to figure that one out.
[/quote]

Yes, because we are now guarunteed clean sheets for the rest of the season arnt we?

[quote user="TheCanaryFan"]

[quote user="Barclayman"]2 clean sheets in the last 3 matches, 2 wins. Simple. Defence has been the problem all season, should we have sold Shackell?Based on his performances since his return thats a defo no. You sort out the defence you win football matches. Shame its taken us all season to figure that one out.[/quote]

Yes, because we are now guarunteed clean sheets for the rest of the season arnt we?

[/quote]What? Ridiculous thing to say, where did i say that? The point im making is that Shackell has played really well upon his return, and we seem to have improved our defence, 2 clean sheets in 3 matches suggests that yes?

[quote user="Barclayman"][quote user="TheCanaryFan"]

[quote user="Barclayman"]2 clean sheets in the last 3 matches, 2 wins. Simple. Defence has been the problem all season, should we have sold Shackell?

Based on his performances since his return thats a defo no. You sort out the defence you win football matches. Shame its taken us all season to figure that one out.
[/quote]

[/quote]

What?

Ridiculous thing to say, where did i say that? The point im making is that Shackell has played really well upon his return, and we seem to have improved our defence, 2 clean sheets in 3 matches suggests that yes?
[/quote]

And the point I was making was that Shackell was playing very poorly prior to his departure and will no doubt play very poorly prior to the end of the season. You make him out to be the mesiah, the final piece of the jigsaw. The team achieved the two clean sheets, Shackell just happened to do a good job.

[quote user="TheCanaryFan"][quote user="Barclayman"][quote user="TheCanaryFan"]

[quote user="Barclayman"]2 clean sheets in the last 3 matches, 2 wins. Simple. Defence has been the problem all season, should we have sold Shackell?Based on his performances since his return thats a defo no. You sort out the defence you win football matches. Shame its taken us all season to figure that one out.[/quote]

[/quote]What? Ridiculous thing to say, where did i say that? The point im making is that Shackell has played really well upon his return, and we seem to have improved our defence, 2 clean sheets in 3 matches suggests that yes?[/quote]

And the point I was making was that Shackell was playing very poorly prior to his departure and will no doubt play very poorly prior to the end of the season. You make him out to be the mesiah, the final piece of the jigsaw. The team achieved the two clean sheets, Shackell just happened to do a good job.

[/quote]You moron. How you can decide that Shackell will no doubt now be rubbish til the end of season when his form since his return suggests the opposite is beyond me.

[quote user="TheCanaryFan"][quote user="Barclayman"][quote user="TheCanaryFan"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What?

Ridiculous thing to say, where did i say that? The point im making is that Shackell has played really well upon his return, and we seem to have improved our defence, 2 clean sheets in 3 matches suggests that yes?
[/quote]

[/quote]

Re: PLYMOUTH PREDICTION....

2-0 if Shackell plays.

2-2 if not.

McDonald and Clingan to score.

Make your mind up Canaryfan! You seem to think we WONT get a clean sheet if shacks doesn’t play tomorrow!?!

Don''t get too excited - in both the games we won the finishing by opponents was poor, and against Cardiff Marshall pulled out two very good saves. we could have lost either game, even if we did have much of the possession.Marshall''s performance reminds me of the occasions earlier in the season when we outplayed other teams, but their goalkeeper was excellent and so we lost. Marshall''s performance may well be the key!

Nah it''s the defence as a whole. Has been all season and before that even to Worthy''s reign. Next game, watch the marking and positioning and so on. The opposition are never closed down, never harried, mever marked,no tackles ever come in.

Watch the second Blackpool goal on Virgin Media and tell me we have a good defence now. And if it hadn''t been for a couple of Marshall wonder-saves or some dodgy QPR finishing, we''d not have had the clean sheets we have.

Sorry to sound downbeat. But it''s true.

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]

Nah it''s the defence as a whole. Has been all season and before that even to Worthy''s reign. Next game, watch the marking and positioning and so on. The opposition are never closed down, never harried, mever marked,no tackles ever come in.

Watch the second Blackpool goal on Virgin Media and tell me we have a good defence now. And if it hadn''t been for a couple of Marshall wonder-saves or some dodgy QPR finishing, we''d not have had the clean sheets we have.

Sorry to sound downbeat. But it''s true.

[/quote]Hmmm maybe, but the facts are were keeping clean sheets at last and winning matches. And for me Shackell, Doc and Berty are playing well.