Sign in to follow this  
|BA

Sitting / standing - a different question

I fully accept some people prefer to sit. Never understood it myself, but .....I''d like to know if anyone would object to the return of certain areas returning to terracing for those who choose to stand. This would increase atmosphere, lower prices and free MORE seats for those who wish to sit. Not interested in whether you want to sit or not, but would you object to others standing?Seems that some people dont want to see it return at any cost and I dont understand why.

Think its got to be all seating in the Championship anyway so unless we go down it wont happen.Cant really see much point of it myself the Barclay (sp too tired lol) stand up when they sing anyways but i wouldnt really complain as long as they had an area for it.

[quote user="IBA"]I fully accept some people prefer to sit. Never understood it myself, but .....

I''d like to know if anyone would object to the return of certain areas returning to terracing for those who choose to stand. This would increase atmosphere, lower prices and free MORE seats for those who wish to sit. Not interested in whether you want to sit or not, but would you object to others standing?

Seems that some people dont want to see it return at any cost and I dont understand why.
[/quote]i think i only sit for a matter of minutes during the game anyway...i would like to see some standing areas..as you stated IBA it brings more atmosphere + more tickets can be sold also BIG YES FOR ME [Y]

After the Taylor report in 1989 into the Hillsborough disaster, which basically states that terracing was a major contributory factor in the disaster, the authorities somehow translated it to read football hooliganism is symptomatic of standing/terracing (or the other way round), and from that day forward the two are inexorably linked in most peoples minds, rightly or wrongly.

If we get relegated and repromoted is it really worth the cost of ripping up then re-installing the seats for (hopefully) a short period?   I thought that the club should not be spending money on infrastructure but focusing on strengthening the team [;)]

The reason for my asking is that the Football League are close to giving their blessing for restricted area to be opened up to terracing. There will be two further factors, insurance and public liability issues with local authorities and ''consensus of the public'' (note they didn''t say fans so leaving this criteria open to interference outside of football)I cannot see why anybody would object to other people standing in a designated area. Standing in seated areas is dangerous - no doubt -  so I can understand why people get twitchy about itStanding in a designated that has CONTROLLED NUMBERS (the real killer at Hillsborough) is extremely safeFire in seated areas is far more dangerous due to evacuation speedsSo this isn''t a relegation issue (as if!!), its an issue likely to be raised very soon. My concern is that the people who dont go to games will get involved with the politics and spoil it for the real supportersThere can be no logical reason why anybody would object......is there?

A big yes from me.Allocated standing of course, so everyone has there own "section" or "spot" to stand in (they could paint a number in a box on the floor where each seat used to be or something - then add "safety rails" infront of each row to appease all those health and safety types) then that would cut out many of the issues people had with standing originally.

I think there should be  standing area for those that do not want to sit. As I have posted on this message board before, if you go to the Nordbank Arena (formerly the AOL Arena) in Hamburg you will see a large terracing area behind one of the goals for home fans, and a standing area for away fans.The stadium is relatively new. The only time the stadium is all seater is for European games, when they wheel in temporary seating - This was the system looked at by Leicester City FC/Leicester Tigers RUFC when it looked as if the two teams would share the Walkers Stadium (as Rugby fans tend to stand for games).

[quote user="IBA"]I fully accept some people prefer to sit. Never understood it myself, but .....

I''d like to know if anyone would object to the return of certain areas returning to terracing for those who choose to stand. This would increase atmosphere, lower prices and free MORE seats for those who wish to sit. Not interested in whether you want to sit or not, but would you object to others standing?

Seems that some people dont want to see it return at any cost and I dont understand why.
[/quote]

Great point. They do it in germany so why not here?

IBA, blimey a thread and subject I can agree with you on 100%. What a day....

I would dearly love for terracing to come back, we seem to have had this debate on here many times and the resulting opinions seem to be mixed.

If there is legislation which would alllow clubs to exercise the choice, I wonder how this could happen at CR. The most obvious spot is L Barclay somewhere, not sure how many seats would go to enable a section of terracing to replace it. Would we then have to make some of the away section terracing to be fair to away support? I seem to remember some posters quoting that in Germany there is terracing at football grounds, so why not here? H&S is a bit of a red herring IMO. I have more bruises from a typical match these days than any injury ever sustained on a terrace.

Atmosphere, the feeling of belonging, standing next to your friends and being able to move are all pluses. Only negative I can see is the cost involved, though if it were to become a realistic option I would gladly pay more for my ST for the year it was introduced to help pay for any costs.

Like you, I don''t understand why people wouldn''t welcome the return of terracing. There was always a choice at grounds, now there is not. It would be a win win situation all round.

Likewise Gazza!  Nice to know we`re not poles apart on everything IBA [Y].  Oh yes, bring it on.....

We must surely be the perfect club to put ourselves forward as a guinea pig for safe terracing?  Friendly, non-violent fans and a stadium way too small for purpose.  Personally speaking the board would earn themselves an awful lot of brownie points if they persued something like this.

[quote user="Flipside"]After the Taylor report in 1989 into the Hillsborough disaster, which basically states that terracing was a major contributory factor in the disaster, the authorities somehow translated it to read football hooliganism is symptomatic of standing/terracing (or the other way round), and from that day forward the two are inexorably linked in most peoples minds, rightly or wrongly.[/quote]didnt blame the terracing did it? blamed the policing and fencing at the front of the stand.i would love a standing area, or like i''ve seen in germany where the stand is steeped so that you can sit or stand, and whichever you choose to do your not blocking the persons behind view.

I must admit I didnt ever see the day coming when I would agree with IBA

I remember vividly the sit in after the Arsenal game , the last of the old barclay and thinking how sad it was and time hasn''t changed that. I feel sorry for the youngsters who never got to experience it because its almost impossible to explain.

I''m pretty sure there are enough old barclayites around to pay for the neccesary work to be done. My hand is already half way into my pocket. 

I think they should rip out the first few rows and dig down so that the seats behind could still see, surely this shouldnt be extremely expensive, only sell them as season tickets and if it was succesful maybe take a few more rows or repeat at the river end.

Maybe someone could cost the work and put it to the club if we were to be able to create a fund to pay for it and get enough people to sign up for the season tickets they would be in a no lose situation.

Lets get the ball rolling on a campaign !

I am with you on that one Keelan''s glove. Would be more than willing to contribute to this cause and to help in any way with publicity for the club. How do we get started?

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]

I must admit I didnt ever see the day coming when I would agree with IBA

I remember vividly the sit in after the Arsenal game , the last of the old barclay and thinking how sad it was and time hasn''t changed that. I feel sorry for the youngsters who never got to experience it because its almost impossible to explain.

I''m pretty sure there are enough old barclayites around to pay for the neccesary work to be done. My hand is already half way into my pocket. 

I think they should rip out the first few rows and dig down so that the seats behind could still see, surely this shouldnt be extremely expensive, only sell them as season tickets and if it was succesful maybe take a few more rows or repeat at the river end.

Maybe someone could cost the work and put it to the club if we were to be able to create a fund to pay for it and get enough people to sign up for the season tickets they would be in a no lose situation.

Lets get the ball rolling on a campaign !

[/quote]

I am sure it would be popular with lots of grounds but I think you have to wait for the Football League to actually push forward on this rather than just talk about it.  This is a very different country from the heyday of terrace support and I''m sure Elf and Safety, and the local police force, may yet have a very big say in whether any of this happens given that some Premier League supporters were recently warned by their club safety officer for being "too noisy."

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

Likewise Gazza!  Nice to know we`re not poles apart on everything IBA [Y].  Oh yes, bring it on.....

[/quote]....I''ve changed my mind now.... :)