Sign in to follow this  
Blue Hater

Dead wood

When budgeting for Huckerby,Crouch,Harper why not take into account the dead wood at the club and i refer to messrs.Easton,Notman and Briggs and with the best will in the world the chances of Abbey returning to this level with TWO dodgy knees seem improbable, thats 4 wages that should be cut next year as they are not even 1st division players let alone premiership!If the board do not pull all the stops out this time we will all realise that we are not serious about anything at this club!

As far as I''m aware, Notman and Abbey are both out of contract at the end of this season, (along with McVeigh, Roberts, Holt and Crichton), but Easton and Briggs are contracted for at least another season.

If Easton and Briggs were to "leave by mutual consent", the club would still have to pay up a significant part of their wages. I''m not sure there would be many takers for the Free Transfer option either.

I would hardly say Briggs is dead wood. Anyone who saw his performances towards the end of last season and in pre-season would see he is a quality player. He is also not on a 10th of what huckerby would comand.

Out of the named players who are out of contract I surgest the ones that should be kept are

Keep - Mcveigh, Holt,

Let Go - Roberts, Abby, Notman, Crichton

But I think NW may keep Crichton on a bit longer to let the current youth keepers get more experiance. If Notman gets fit again he has some potential but with all his problems I doubt it.

While much attention has been given to Messrs. Huckerby, Crouch and Harper, who of course we would love to keep, we must ensure that Paul McVeigh does not walk away on a free.
The first half today showed how much Paul is an integral part of a very good team. Adversely the departure of Crouch and Huckerby and the introduction of a sluggish Iwan Roberts gave us a glimpse of how life will be after the possible departure of our Premiership loan players.