Sign in to follow this  
Clint

Constructive Criticism

All in all I have very few complaints about the performance of the team this season (with a few obvious exceptions!)  Don''t get me wrong, I think Worthy is the right man for the job but some of the decisions he makes just have no logic, for example:

Jonson & Helveg - two very good players in my opion, who are obviously taking time to settle.  We''re now four months into the season, Jonson isn''t producing & Helveg has hardly played.  We always knew this season would be a scrap, why did Worthy sign two players who he must have known would take time to settle?  We needed our summer signings to start playing from day 1 in order to survive, not the spring.  I can''t see two players with almost 150 international caps between them being too interested in getting us up again.

Charlton & Fleming - both have had very good seasons but it doesn''t take a genius to work out that a striker with any kind of aerial ability (or just Dickov!) is going to cause us problems.  Opposition managers will exploit this, remeber Everton''s tactical switch?  Charlton has played left-back all his career, how does Worthy expect a £250k signing from Bolton to play out of position & keep us up?  The main priority in the transfer window.

Doherty & Safri - £1.25 minimum spent, both can''t even get on our bech.  Doherty is apprently not fit enough, should this not have been found out prior to signing?  I would be very suprised if the board give Worthy any money at all in the transfer window when taking into account the four signings so far mentioned.

Brennan & Shackell - both came in from the cold & in consideration of this, in my opionion both played very well in their respective matches.  Neither even made the bench for the next match.  In view of our lack of height at the back, Shackell must feel very hard done by to be dropped.  Even more so Brennan, who appeared to be axed for a half-fit drury. 

Hendo - anyones who''s seen Hendo play for England will know what a very good player he is, when playing up front.  Why does Worthy persist in playing him right wing when he''s obviously not comfortable there?  Should he keep playing badly, he will become a scapegoat for our lack of wins (which is well out of order) as he did when things weren''t going well, very rarely last year.  He''s a very good young player, who doesn''t need the stick, he needs to be upfront scoring goals.  Surely someone to keep the ball on Saturday (Mullers) would have been a more sensible option against 10 men.

There are numerous other things I could go on about but I would like to try & remain constructive (Holt, Bentley etc)!  This is not a Worthy out post by any means but I think these are problems which need to be addressed if we are to stay up.  I just wondered if anyone out there is of the same opinion?

Very little to disagree with Clint, except perhaps that Jonson is not producing.  I feel he is getting better with every game and deserves his place because of that.  He''s wins a fair bit in the air and is strong when going forward or defending.  He also seems to have a more than decent shot on him when given the ball in the right place.  I have a feeling that there''s much more to come from him yet.

I agree susie b - as someone else pointed out there are times when Jonson is in a good position but is simply not given the ball - the more ball he gets the better he seems to get.

Other than a good post with little to argue with.

OTBC

[quote]Very little to disagree with Clint, except perhaps that Jonson is not producing. I feel he is getting better with every game and deserves his place because of that. He''s wins a fair bit in the air a...[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more susie.  Thats spot on.  Come new year I''m confident that Jonson will be one of our most influential players.  He''s getting better and better

How disappointing was Saturday?! You could have heard a pin drop after the game on the way to the car!

I really think Worthington should try leaving out Holt for a couple of games. Last season he was outstanding, but this year just hasn''t got it. Probably because the pace has increased.

I like McKenzie, Huckerby and Svensson is ok on a good day but I don''t think they play together. Svensson is everywhere and nowhere and I would like to see McKenzie and Huckerby work more closely up front. Huckerby tends to stay on the wing too much.

Its easy to scoff I know, but isn''t it frustrating being a fan??!!

I agree, I can''t see anybody in our team that can play right wing better than Jonsson who does get better with each game.

Still think Eddy should be dropped for Helveg until he learns to mark up again.

I don''t think Jonson is not a good player but we''re now a third into the season & we have yet to see anything like his best.  We really needed our summer signings to improve the team from day 1 if we''re to stay up. I think it was naive of Worthy to spend so much money on someone who was obviously going to take time to settle in a new country & adjust to the premier league (the rest of our existing squad already had to do that!)  Even Henry took 6 months to find his feet in the premier league!