Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's Report v Plymouth

Well , was I right or was I right.

Last week I warned you all not to jump to the conclusion that we were down after losing to Blackpool. I said things would look entirely different if we could get 6 points from the next 2 home games. We got''em and things indeed do look much healthier. Now I would caution you all that its not over yet and we will almost certainly have to bear a disapponting result within the next 8 games but we will also pick unexpected points somewhere. The 3 clean sheets in 4 games have been key in this little run and I suspect our goal difference will be the best of the bottom bunch

I thought we started off a bit nervy and Plymouth made it difficult for us by setting their stall out for a draw. Chances were few and far between and apart from Gow''s sidefooter that ran agonisingly wide of the post we didn''t look like scoring. Crofty put a couple of decent crosses in which young Mooney just failed to get on the end of but it was no surprise that half time arrived without a break through.

Plymouth started the second half a bit more adventurously and we started to get a few chances as the game opened up. The goal came from a nice set piece. The Doc won the ball in the area and Mooney tucked it away in fine style. From then on a second goal looked like coming but never did. Things started to get nervy again but 3 clean sheets in 4 games have given the defence confidence and we held out quite comfortably for the points. Young Cody had another 5 minute cameo and had his stinging shot been 6 inches lower he would have scored again.

Man of the match has to go to the Doc and Shak partnership. I thought both were magnificent. Also a word about Semmy. I have been critical of him all season but he had his best game in City colours this afternoon. Crofty, as usual was prepared to die for the cause. He has his limitations but for sheer effort he is well worth a new contract.

No game this season would be complete without a poxy Ref and and Mr. Jernan did not disappoint. Luckily it didn''t cost us any points but you have to weep for the quality of officials nowadays.

That leaves us with 8 games left to play and I think 10 points will be more than enough, although possibly a point a game might even do it.

Excellent result and another important three points.  Forest got mullered and your superior goal against statistics may also have a part to play.

I agree with the man of the match Rickyyyyyyyyyyy. And don''t forget the Doc had a huge hand in our goal too. I didn''t think Plymouth had much at all and was only worried with about 10 mins to go when I thought we started to sit deep and invite them onto us. But we again finished strongly with Cody and it was as comfortable as a 1-0 could be.

As for being right[*-)] I guess we''ll find out at the end of the season who predicted right.

The turnaround has been astonishing.  Its not like we have even been lucky as both wins have been totally deserved.  The effort and desire are there, and the football has been pretty good at times.  It would be interesting to count how many shots on target Cardiff and Plymouth have had, because I doubt its many.  The defence has been immense.

I''d be worried if I was a Plymouth fan right now.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I agree with the man of the match Rickyyyyyyyyyyy. And don''t forget the Doc had a huge hand in our goal too. I didn''t think Plymouth had much at all and was only worried with about 10 mins to go when I thought we started to sit deep and invite them onto us. But we again finished strongly with Cody and it was as comfortable as a 1-0 could be.

As for being right[*-)] I guess we''ll find out at the end of the season who predicted right.

[/quote]

If I remember correctly Nigel I predicted 16th to 18th.

I would more than settle for that now.

Another good team performance that got the result it deserved.

Felt sorry for Rusty because there was never a red card in that game but the ref managed to find one for him.

Still no closer to deciding who I''d vote for player of the season. Superb performances from Doherty and Croft.

As is often the case, your match report leaves me with a warm glow Ricardo. I was disappointed with your mid week report because it must have been posted after I had switched off in more ways than one, the third malt whisky in celebration of the Cardiff victory probably being a contributing factor. Lady Snooty was not impressed. I waited but nothing appeared and the next day I was away on business so by Thursday it was too late. Therefore, please don''t forget your loyal readers and walk a bit more btriskly over Thorpe bridge. Remember, you have a duty to your loyal readers ! Only joking of course. It takes me back all those years to when I was a boy and dutifully went off to the newsagents around 7.00 7.30 on a Saturday evening to collect my dad''s pink un. If we won and we were in a promotion fight or a relegation struggle the queue was longer and the Pink Un was late. On one occasion the newsagent opened up to see a crowd of us outside and said "Good win today so bigger print run, shouldn''t be long now though". This provoked conversation and one of us, I think his name was Nos Tradamus, said that in the future there would be a thing called the internet and we would be able to access the Pink Un electronically on something similar to a television screen.. Someone responded by scoffing that such technology would never exist. We laughed when one of my friends asked "What''s technology ?" and we all chuckled because of course the word hadn''t been invented ! Have a good evening Ricardo. Mine will be good as Lady Snooty is cooking steak and chips, a glass or two of full bodied red wine and the world tonight is looking a bit more rose !

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

If I remember correctly Nigel I predicted 16th to 18th.

I would more than settle for that now.

[/quote]

Well you must have predicted low points totals because you reckoned my 52 points was optimistic.

Let''s just enjoy the win [Y]

Splendid result! A friend of mine at the game said that whilst it wasn''t the prettiest of games we deserved the win because we bossed it. On the downside, we''ll likely be without Hoolahan for the rest of the season and Russel is suspended for a game. That''s two midfielders out of action and we''d best make sure we keep this area as strong as possible.

[/quote]it looked to me like the doc went for goal - but rather than skidding off his bonce over the bar as usual - he seemed to screw it wide - right onto mooneys pie crust - great goal...and for sure - a great pass from the doc!!!

[quote user="Lord Snooty"]

As is often the case, your match report leaves me with a warm glow Ricardo. I was disappointed with your mid week report because it must have been posted after I had switched off in more ways than one, the third malt whisky in celebration of the Cardiff victory probably being a contributing factor. Lady Snooty was not impressed. I waited but nothing appeared and the next day I was away on business so by Thursday it was too late. Therefore, please don''t forget your loyal readers and walk a bit more btriskly over Thorpe bridge. Remember, you have a duty to your loyal readers ! Only joking of course. It takes me back all those years to when I was a boy and dutifully went off to the newsagents around 7.00 7.30 on a Saturday evening to collect my dad''s pink un. If we won and we were in a promotion fight or a relegation struggle the queue was longer and the Pink Un was late. On one occasion the newsagent opened up to see a crowd of us outside and said "Good win today so bigger print run, shouldn''t be long now though". This provoked conversation and one of us, I think his name was Nos Tradamus, said that in the future there would be a thing called the internet and we would be able to access the Pink Un electronically on something similar to a television screen.. Someone responded by scoffing that such technology would never exist. We laughed when one of my friends asked "What''s technology ?" and we all chuckled because of course the word hadn''t been invented ! Have a good evening Ricardo. Mine will be good as Lady Snooty is cooking steak and chips, a glass or two of full bodied red wine and the world tonight is looking a bit more rose !

[/quote]

Thanks for your comments your Lordship. I don''t know how you missed my Cardiff report because I did it as soon as I had dragged myself up Whitehorse Lane.

Thanks for the kind comments again. I kept it going mainly because old Ray Ducker asked me to as he was no longer able to attend. I think he and I were of a similar age and had shared memories going back to our chilhood days.

Enjoy your wine, I think I may have a glass or two of the finest single malts known to humanity tonight.

[quote user="Superflash"]Splendid result! A friend of mine at the game said that whilst it wasn''t the prettiest of games we deserved the win because we bossed it. On the downside, we''ll likely be without Hoolahan for the rest of the season and Russel is suspended for a game. That''s two midfielders out of action and we''d best make sure we keep this area as strong as possible.

[/quote]now that is bad news - whats the news on him???torn ankle ligaments???

According to Radio Norfolk, the intial prognosis is ankle ligament damage. I think we''ll know more tommorow after more tests or something along those lines. 

Absoloutly gutted i missed to today, i had to work unfortunatly all i think i''m now free for the remaining home games.

Thanks for the report Ricardo, interesting read as always.

[quote user="Superflash"]According to Radio Norfolk, the intial prognosis is ankle ligament damage. I think we''ll know more tommorow after more tests or something along those lines.  [/quote]if it is then could be bad and out - scan will tell all...

Your report is acccurate as ever, Ricardo. It was a poor first half and we looked very nervy, but Plymouth offered nothing, which helped us to settle into the game. I really thought that the goal (well worked and well taken) would lead to more, but it wasn''t to be. Very good performance from the centre backs, and I fully agree about Semmy. I, too, have hammered him regularly but today he did well both defensively and going forward, his second half foray deserving of a goal.

I actually felt that losing Wes helped us, in that the more conventional 4-4-2 stretched them more  and created better channels which Gow and Mooney exploited well. Gow is a real box of tricks and, while some of his flicks didn''t come off today, he is clearly a very cerebral footballer. Mooney deserved his goal for his hard work against a physical back four. to be honest, this is one game in particular where Cort would have been in his element. As for Cody, the solo ran had us all on our feet. We may have a star in the making there.

The central midfield was a letdown, with Sammy well off his best. Russell will no doubt get lots of sympathy but shouldn''t .While the first yellow was harsh, once he had it he knew he had to be careful. In my view he should have walked for leaving his foot in on one of their defenders just inside their half, but to get away with that and then commit such a clumsy (and unneccesary) foul was simply brainless, and summed up his performance which was riddled with bad decisions, slow thinking and poor control. I just hope that Gunny hasn''t completely destroyed Patty self belief because he will be needed now.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Lord Snooty"]

[/quote]

Thanks for your comments your Lordship. I don''t know how you missed my Cardiff report because I did it as soon as I had dragged myself up Whitehorse Lane.

Thanks for the kind comments again. I kept it going mainly because old Ray Ducker asked me to as he was no longer able to attend. I think he and I were of a similar age and had shared memories going back to our chilhood days.

Enjoy your wine, I think I may have a glass or two of the finest single malts known to humanity tonight.

[/quote]

Cheers Ricardo. Have enjoyed my steak and red wine. I now have to wait a respectable period of time before turning to the malt. By the way, I should have mentioned that the newsagent where I used to queue for my Pink Un was in Great Yarmouth - I think it must have been the last shop on the round ! All the best.

[/quote]

Doc will be the NCFC player of the season by a country mile

Good report Ricardo, as usual.Not a classic but a deserved win for sure and we should have won by more than 1-0. It''s pleasing that we''ve worked a lot harder and looked more like a proper team (Blackpool excepted) recently and it has got us three wins, I didn''t think the players had the stomach for a fight but I''m being proved very wrong on that one.Long way to go still and there will be a lot of ups and downs along the way I''m sure. If we lose Hoolahan that will be a big loss for us so let''s hope it''s not as serious as it sounds.

Ricardo, I admire your optimism and faith, but I still worry that we won''t get anything away from home and just won''t get enough points to survive. Thought we looked very disjointed today, though admittedly Plymouth had come to defend in numbers. There was no sign of the lovely flow and movement of Tuesday night and thought Clingan had far too much to do in midfield, and we lacked creativity when Hoolahan went off. Shame Cody didn''t come on sooner as he could have ignited a few sparks. Russell was anonymous in midfield and have to say I thought Shacks was easily MOM, and had to disagree with the match sponsors'' choice of Gow.

Semmy is much improved and so is Plastic. Just need that vital link between midfield and attack.

[quote user="ricardo"]No game this

season would be complete without a poxy Ref and and Mr. Jernan did not

disappoint. Luckily it didn''t cost us any points but you have to weep for the

quality of officials nowadays.[/quote]

I completely disagree. Today''s ref was the best I''ve seen this season. He got

nearly everything right and allowed some good advantage at times. I can see why

people will complain about the red card, but I even think he got that right. In

Russell’s first challenge he clearly won the ball but went in with his studs up

and got a lecture from the ref for it. He then went and did exactly the same

thing again - he won the ball but went in hard with his studs up; this was a

fair yellow card seeing as he had already been warned. Before the second

yellow, he brought someone down in the centre circle and should have been

booked for it - he got nowhere near the ball - but the ref waived play on as

Plymouth had a good attack going. The challenge that brought the second yellow,

and ultimately the red card, was perhaps a bit of a harsh card but it was

consistent with the other challenges which had brought cautions in the game and

Russell was lucky to still be on the pitch by that point. He should have been

subbed earlier. Stupidity on his part, not the ref''s.

[quote user="The Pot"]

[quote user="ricardo"]No game this season would be complete without a poxy Ref and and Mr. Jernan did not disappoint. Luckily it didn''t cost us any points but you have to weep for the quality of officials nowadays.[/quote]

I completely disagree. Today''s ref was the best I''ve seen this season. He got nearly everything right and allowed some good advantage at times. I can see why people will complain about the red card, but I even think he got that right. In Russell’s first challenge he clearly won the ball but went in with his studs up and got a lecture from the ref for it. He then went and did exactly the same thing again - he won the ball but went in hard with his studs up; this was a fair yellow card seeing as he had already been warned. Before the second yellow, he brought someone down in the centre circle and should have been booked for it - he got nowhere near the ball - but the ref waived play on as Plymouth had a good attack going. The challenge that brought the second yellow, and ultimately the red card, was perhaps a bit of a harsh card but it was consistent with the other challenges which had brought cautions in the game and Russell was lucky to still be on the pitch by that point. He should have been subbed earlier. Stupidity on his part, not the ref''s.
[/quote]

Thought the ref seemed okay, although I''d like to see the tackle on Hoolahan again as some people said it wasn''t good.

I remember in the second half seeing Russell mouthing off at the referee and thinking, "Shut it Rusty".  Perhaps a little unlucky but he does bring it upon himself sometimes - that''s why he''s never likely to be captain while he''s here.

Another well deserved 3 points and my MOM goes to Doc/Shackell jointly [:)]

42 points on the board and just another 9 to find [:D]

A comfortable win today without ever matching Tuesdays efforts.  The effort remained good but the quality dropped a little however we were clearly the better side all day and deserved  a win,

However the warning signs are there;  we cannot afford to sit back in this league.   We played the last 10 minutes with such a negative frame of mind (84 mins on the clock and we send no one up for a corner???) that we invited trouble on ourselves.  If we have seen nothing from the last two games its that attack is the best form of defence.   Look no further than rustys sending off.  That came from our second short corner,  when rusty then felt the throw should have been ours and he forcibly told the lino accordingly.  A long ball later and rusty is committing a needless, non yellow card earning but crucial foul on the other flank,  it was his lip as the tackles the earnt him his bookings,  he only seems to get animated when its contesting the ref at the mo.

Had we taken a proper corner - perhaps only committing one instead of 2 central defenders forward - we would have still held most of the plymouth team in their penalty area instead of nearer our half, had the chance of the pressure relieving goal and still had the option of rusty playing next week.

Our midfield also sunk deeper which encouraged pressure on our selves,  and even a poor plymouth were able to mount  some pressure despite being clearly second best.

However we deserved our win.  can only agree with Ricardo that Semmy had his best game for a while,  the centra backs were awesome and the centre forward partnership ran themselves into the ground defending for the team.

If we can continue this high energy approach consistently for the next 7 games we will be fine,  that is a big IF,  and I suspect there will be many more twists and turns before the end of the season.    

Better than the rest, Ricardo.

Keep it going please.

And I can empathise with Lord Snooty. My Saturday night excursions took me to assorted newsagents in Gorleston to pick up the Pink Un. After which it followed me all over the country and to different parts of the world until the internet took over. Good memories.

I''m settling down comfortably now in a warm glow with the remains of some German Piesporter which I shall top off with a rather large Johnnie Walker. Thanks to Team Gunn.

Anybody notice how the remaining 7 matches are stretched out?  All Sat/Sun except  the Easter Monday game. I wonder if this will be a blessing or a curse. Slow torture anyway, I guess!

OTBC 

Our central midfield pairing of Russell and Clingan is defensive but I''m not sure they were poor. They do both play deep and Russell rarely gets as far forward as Fotheringham did. However since they have been the central midfield partners we have kept 3 clean sheets out of 4 games and picked up 9 points out of 12. This suggests to me that they have probably been doing their job.