Sign in to follow this  
PhatCanary

Why did Gunn not change things

Crap game but three points is three points,what worrys me is Gunns total lack of any idea when we need to make a change, Russell should have been off the pitch well before he was sent off and Cody should have got at least 30 minutes, Gunns poor decisions could cost us in future if he''s not careful. Todays game was a must win and yes we got the points but again today Gunns lack of any ideas could of cost us.Well done the boys a few more scrappy wins and we could just stay up!

Now Russell is not my favourite player but he is exactly the type of player you need in the midfield for a relegation scrap. Who would you have put thetre in his place?

[quote user="PhatCanary"]Crap game but three points is three points,what worrys me is Gunns total lack of any idea when we need to make a change, Russell should have been off the pitch well before he was sent off and Cody should have got at least 30 minutes, Gunns poor decisions could cost us in future if he''s not careful. Todays game was a must win and yes we got the points but again today Gunns lack of any ideas could of cost us.Well done the boys a few more scrappy wins and we could just stay up![/quote]

Crap game! What were you watching? Yes it wasn''t as good as the cardiff game, but we still created loads of chances and should of scored at least a couple more goals. The 2 new front men have made the world of difference! I also thought we made Plymouth look very poor! Credit to our boys!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Now Russell is not my favourite player but he is exactly the type of player you need in the midfield for a relegation scrap. Who would you have put thetre in his place?

[/quote]

Agree his fight is exactly what you need but imo he was not in the game today and we needed to freshen up the team because Plymouth got on top of us, i would have got Lappin on and mixed up the formation a bit, as i said good three points but we made it hard for ourselves.

Think after Russel had been booked would have been a good time to take him off, he wasn''t playing well and was obviously wound up. That is easy to say in hindsight tho.

OTBC

[quote user="colneycanary"]

[quote user="PhatCanary"]Crap game but three points is three points,what worrys me is Gunns total lack of any idea when we need to make a change, Russell should have been off the pitch well before he was sent off and Cody should have got at least 30 minutes, Gunns poor decisions could cost us in future if he''s not careful. Todays game was a must win and yes we got the points but again today Gunns lack of any ideas could of cost us.Well done the boys a few more scrappy wins and we could just stay up![/quote]

Crap game! What were you watching? Yes it wasn''t as good as the cardiff game, but we still created loads of chances and should of scored at least a couple more goals. The 2 new front men have made the world of difference! I also thought we made Plymouth look very poor! Credit to our boys!

[/quote]

Come of it mate it was crap, two poor sides, yes we made chances but again we gave away the ball cheaply and made an easy game hard, Clingan and Russell were poor and some of the movement first half was dreadful, as is said on many occasions football is about opinions and mine is that today was poor but as i''ve said three points is three points!

[quote user="PhatCanary"][quote user="colneycanary"]

[/quote]

Come of it mate it was crap, two poor sides, yes we made chances but again we gave away the ball cheaply and made an easy game hard, Clingan and Russell were poor and some of the movement first half was dreadful, as is said on many occasions football is about opinions and mine is that today was poor but as i''ve said three points is three points!

[/quote]How many chances did we have to score? I lost count because we had quite a few! We should of gone in at half time 2 up at least! Second half was much the same. We gave Pymouth barely a sniff at goal, so you should give credit were it''s due.  Yes it wasn''t as pretty as the Cardiff game and too many passes were going astray but it certainly wasn''t crap!

[quote user="PhatCanary"][quote user="colneycanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]yep - after rusty got booked by the usual prima donna refs we seem to get at carra these days...we seem to lose momentum - and let plymouth back into it - they had a go for a good 10 mins - before they began to run outa puff - but yeah - it smacked to me of yet another reluctance to make a change when a natural pause in the game probably called for a sub...with plymouth running up a head of steam - clearly we could have done with another outlet up front - and cody would have been my choice to replace either gow or mooney - who both had begun to wilt by then...luckily for us - plymouth soon ran out of steam,,,but not before they had engineered a great chance inside the area - their player just screwed the ball wide of marshy''s right post...

[quote user="PhatCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Agree his fight is exactly what you need but imo he was not in the game today and we needed to freshen up the team because Plymouth got on top of us, i would have got Lappin on and mixed up the formation a bit, as i said good three points but we made it hard for ourselves.

[/quote]

It seems like central midfielders never look like they are in the game unless they are attacking. Fotheringham gets the same stick. Like I said, Russell isn''t my favourite player but his work in central midfield has been invaluable over the last few games. And we all see it differently Phat my friend but I fail to see what use Lappin would have been in his place.

[quote user="PhatCanary"]Crap game but three points is three points,what worrys me is Gunns total lack of any idea when we need to make a change, Russell should have been off the pitch well before he was sent off and Cody should have got at least 30 minutes, Gunns poor decisions could cost us in future if he''s not careful. Todays game was a must win and yes we got the points but again today Gunns lack of any ideas could of cost us.Well done the boys a few more scrappy wins and we could just stay up![/quote]It seems at times as if Gunny can''t do anything without getting stick on this message board. Give the guy a break already! We WON. From what I can gather today we could''ve even  won by more. And why is Gunn to blame for Russel''s sending off? I''d have said the same thing if it was under Roeder or Grant and I''ll say it now, Russel''s sending off was his own doing and not Gunn''s. Perhaps the ref was overly harsh as well, but Gunn doesn''t deserve any blame for this if this is what you were implying.All managers make poor decisions at times, Alex Ferguson didn''t match up to Rafa Benitez today, but you know what? It won''t bother him in the slightest. He''ll push on and probably secure more trophies before the season is out. We won the game, so for me Gunn got it spot on tactically.  

[quote user="Superflash"][quote user="PhatCanary"]Crap game but three points is three points,what worrys me is Gunns total lack of any idea when we need to make a change, Russell should have been off the pitch well before he was sent off and Cody should have got at least 30 minutes, Gunns poor decisions could cost us in future if he''s not careful. Todays game was a must win and yes we got the points but again today Gunns lack of any ideas could of cost us.Well done the boys a few more scrappy wins and we could just stay up![/quote]

It seems at times as if Gunny can''t do anything without getting stick on this message board. Give the guy a break already! We WON. From what I can gather today we could''ve even  won by more. And why is Gunn to blame for Russel''s sending off? I''d have said the same thing if it was under Roeder or Grant and I''ll say it now, Russel''s sending off was his own doing and not Gunn''s. Perhaps the ref was overly harsh as well, but Gunn doesn''t deserve any blame for this if this is what you were implying.

All managers make poor decisions at times, Alex Ferguson didn''t match up to Rafa Benitez today, but you know what? It won''t bother him in the slightest. He''ll push on and probably secure more trophies before the season is out. We won the game, so for me Gunn got it spot on tactically.

[/quote]

Lol I bet it does. It will p*ss him off no end, everyone knows what a bad loser he is.

[quote user="Yellafella"]

[quote user="Superflash"][quote user="PhatCanary"]Crap game but three points is three points,what worrys me is Gunns total lack of any idea when we need to make a change, Russell should have been off the pitch well before he was sent off and Cody should have got at least 30 minutes, Gunns poor decisions could cost us in future if he''s not careful. Todays game was a must win and yes we got the points but again today Gunns lack of any ideas could of cost us.Well done the boys a few more scrappy wins and we could just stay up![/quote]It seems at times as if Gunny can''t do anything without getting stick on this message board. Give the guy a break already! We WON. From what I can gather today we could''ve even  won by more. And why is Gunn to blame for Russel''s sending off? I''d have said the same thing if it was under Roeder or Grant and I''ll say it now, Russel''s sending off was his own doing and not Gunn''s. Perhaps the ref was overly harsh as well, but Gunn doesn''t deserve any blame for this if this is what you were implying.All managers make poor decisions at times, Alex Ferguson didn''t match up to Rafa Benitez today, but you know what? It won''t bother him in the slightest. He''ll push on and probably secure more trophies before the season is out. We won the game, so for me Gunn got it spot on tactically.  [/quote]

Lol I bet it does. It will p*ss him off no end, everyone knows what a bad loser he is.

[/quote]Ok, maybe initially [:P] but in the long run he''ll put this result behind him. I did see the game and to be honest he can have no complaints.

Things are incredibly tough at the moment but Gunn is doing the best job he can with the resources available. I am optimistic about our chances of staying up and i think that collectively the team is moving in the right direction. But if we are relegated remember that the real damage was done by grant/roeder/delia do not blame Bryann Gunn!

[quote user="PhatCanary"]Crap game but three points is three points,what worrys me is Gunns total lack of any idea when we need to make a change, Russell should have been off the pitch well before he was sent off and Cody should have got at least 30 minutes, Gunns poor decisions could cost us in future if he''s not careful. Todays game was a must win and yes we got the points but again today Gunns lack of any ideas could of cost us.Well done the boys a few more scrappy wins and we could just stay up![/quote]Wheredo you sit >.<?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="PhatCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It seems like central midfielders never look like they are in the game unless they are attacking. Fotheringham gets the same stick. Like I said, Russell isn''t my favourite player but his work in central midfield has been invaluable over the last few games. And we all see it differently Phat my friend but I fail to see what use Lappin would have been in his place.

[/quote]I second that.  Personally I wouldn''t have Matty Patty in the equivalent of solitary confinement as I think he''s another scrapper who has shown he can get tasty when required, and I think he''d do a job in the middle.  And I would have changed Russell for someone else with 15 to go as he was obviously going to get sent off, but there wasn''t any option on the bench to do it so I see why Gunn didn''t bother.I thought it was a decent scrap of a match, I enjoyed it, and I think Cody got enough time - he''s still young and raw and 10 minutes here and there is a good way to blood him.

I thought we played ok and did more than enough to win the game, we could and should have won 3 or 4 nil had our finishing been better. Clingan gave the ball away far to much and has been one of our worst performers in the last couple of games, we will need him to be much better to stand a chance of getting something next week. At least we look far more of a threat with Gow and Mooney up front and if we continue playing as we have in the last 2 games we will stay up comfortably.

[quote user="MonkeyTrousers"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="PhatCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I second that.  Personally I wouldn''t have Matty Patty in the equivalent of solitary confinement as I think he''s another scrapper who has shown he can get tasty when required, and I think he''d do a job in the middle.  And I would have changed Russell for someone else with 15 to go as he was obviously going to get sent off, but there wasn''t any option on the bench to do it so I see why Gunn didn''t bother.

I thought it was a decent scrap of a match, I enjoyed it, and I think Cody got enough time - he''s still young and raw and 10 minutes here and there is a good way to blood him.

[/quote]

Fully agree with all of that. Russell was a sending off waiting to happen, and he should have gone for the late tackle in the centre circle just before. Does he have anything at all between his ears? The fact he was still on the pitch once again demonstrated Gunny''s lack of experience/ indecision. He really does need to start to influence situations rather than reacting to them.

To me Patty is just what''s needed. Combative, mobile and with an eye for goal, although I''m slightly worried by Clinkers continuing decline.

Gunn should not  have needed to change Rusty;   the bloke is a pro and should have learnt by now to keep his big gob shut and also know that he did not need to touch the plymouth player - chose to foul which at worst gave them a free kick into box when they were on a road to nowhere. 

Gun should have changed the strikers earlier - gowe was exhausted - and insisted that the team continue to push forward,  while we were attcking we bossed the game.