Sign in to follow this  
beelsie

come on posters lets be realistic

LET’S BE REALISTIC. PLEASE. !!!

We are a very small club in the Premiership with a standing secured debt of £14,000,000 which we fund, and with our crowd base are bound to loose between four and 5 million each year with a twenty five thousand following on a good day. Were in a league of 6 super rich clubs, the rest is a miss match of clubs hoping against hope that they might string a few good results together, if only the players decide to pull their fingers out and compete. However these teams compete, two will be relegated at the end of the season.

All clubs have managers that have some degree of skill in their chosen professions and have different methods of encouraging their teams to perform.

Two names at different ends of the managership spectrum with vastly different methods of man persuasion are Worthy (quiet to the extreme) and Megson (attributes vociferous and abusive among other things).

Each for argument sake had a measure of success, both brought their respective teams into the Premiership with these extremes of method. Both have the work ethic as their benchmark for success. Megson has resigned now.

Both have had little money to work with.

Leeds had a successful manager and a successful team with a ground and a following of 38,000 plus, enough to finance a reasonable wage structure.

Until the financial alarm bells started to ring and the players that were on the books started to become unsettled, etc. Because of certain restraints placed on the players’ behaviour, and wrangling among the members of the board, who had decided that the manager and a group of players would have to bear the brunt of the blame for events that took place.

Venables, was brought in to the rescue. A manager of great prior success. Proven motivational skills.

The budget restraints imposed by the board, stopped his ability to wheel and deal. Result of this was relegation to the div below and an exodus of players sold cheaply because of the weak financial position Leeds found themselves in, with a bank and investors calling for their money. After this trauma, there is still a financial deficit of £40,000,000 coupled with poor performances in the lower division and maybe further relegation. It is a shame that Leeds through mismanagement and poor financial control. have been brought to this, It was, and is never necessary.

I Thank our board and management for their prudent outlook, and I feel sure that we will not follow the examples made earlier in this thread.

I would rather keep Worthy than risk the obvious upheaval his dismissal would cause. I am sure that more training will get the get the defence working properly. The lack of defensive bite existed before we came to the Premiership. I have said many times before that our defensive record during promotion was as much down to good fortune than good organisation, with our defenders treading on one another’s toes, and standing off too much. Worthy in his subsequent match interview, said the same thing yesterday, so it is not the way he has trained them to play.

Some aspects of their game has good points but they lack a good midfield ball winner who will marshall the defence with some authority. They do not take individual responsibility to mark individual players when under pressure, and the off the ball running needs much more imagination and willingness to take responsibility. We can do it if we train harder and bring the training to the first half with a yard more urgency. OTBC!!!!

great post, totally agree, especially with the defenders.  I have said in numerous posts that are defenders individually are good, but lack someone that organises them and their marking is woeful at times.  Combined with Holt standing on their toes, nightmare.

Nice post Beelsie

I was unaware of the £14million debt or the fact that we a sure to lose £5million a year.

Will our continued presence in the Prem,(Yes I know, super optimist Jim), mean we could affect a reduction in either of the two deficits ? Would be interested to know.

Agree with all the rest you say, especially the "keep Worthy" and "midfielder" bits.

[quote]LET’S BE REALISTIC. PLEASE. !!! We are a very small club in the Premiership with a standing secured debt of £14,000,000 which we fund, and with our crowd base are bound to loose between four and 5...[/quote]

Beelsie,

Could you explain where you got this unsecured debt of £14m from and the figure of £5m which you say we are going to lose this year. Does this take into account the £22m Doomcaster told us promotion would be worth to us or the £1.75m from the 7 live sky games or the £1.2m unclaimed shareholder divs.

I thought the accounts for May03 - May 04 were not being released at the end of next week.

Do you know something we dont know if so please explain to us.

Thanks

a fair post. At the end of the day we have to be realistic. in terms of players, club structure, finanace, we are in the league position where we shoud be. It will be a massive achievement if we stay up

I agree on most things except the 25''000 following bit which should read 30''000+ on a good day.

I agree on most things except the 25''000 following bit which should read 30''000+ on a good day. And we are not a very small club and should be able to compete with the Middlesboroughs, Charltons and Southamptons of this world. This is the kind of mentality we need to avoid which sadly is typical of some Norfolk people happy to accept their lot in life with barely a whimper. Aim for the stars and u may well reach them, aim low and get what u deserve.

Great post! Hits the nail on the head, we should be enjoying our season in the sun as we have to be one of the favourites to go down ,with the lack of money at our disposal and the massive squad depth of every other side in the division we are doing incredibly well to keep every game competitive ,and this fighting spirit ,along with the players being brought to the club not being on massive wages should guarantee a great shot at coming straight back up with a far greater power to add to the squad then.

The only thing I thought should not be over stated is the gulf even between us and west Brom in the spending in the transfer market and players wages, they must have spent three times the money we have and are in just as big a hole as us.

Thanks to all for the input, Financial statement input was from artical in EDP after the successful season getting to the Prem, 1993/94, successful that is, except for the lack of rescources.  The borrowing is against real estate value, similar to the the borrowing facility allowed to home owners of mature age who wish to cash in on the value of their own homes to make retirement a little easier.  It was done to convince and comply with the FA ruling that clubs  should keep their financial houses in order, and that we had made, and were running a tighter business ship than those who had gone into recievership.  The £4.6M is deficit against gate and club business receipts (expenditure exceeding earnings).

I maybe wrong in my thoughts on the club ground capacity being only 25000, if so I stand corrected, because some of you are saying that we have a 30000 crowd seating potential, there were also rumblings last season that there would not be enough capacity for the numbers requiring seats once we got into the Prem.

Figures printed say that we were just in excess of 23834 this Saturday. If you are right together, that makes a deficit of 6176 or an undercapacity of £72000 + in gate receipts. Not good news for the spenders im afraid.

Now for football thoughts. Did you here match of the day 2 Sunday, Gordon Strachen was praising Crystal Palace''s coaching methods and pre match warm up sessions, also their choice of Australian coaches who are not afraid to get the best from players at training sessions.  He stated that our coaches are often too easy or lazy on the training grounds, because hard days for players mean hard days for coaches.

I take note of this remark when here about the high levels of fitness displayed by Norwich players.  I would take issue with that claim. 

The fitness assessment should be made by independant assessors, not by staff members who only need to rubber stamp their own efforts, and maintain a cushy comfort zone.  What do you people think? 

Also its not unrealistic to expect our team to notch up an occasional win, as long as all preparation requirements have been fulfilled by all the staff.

We sell out every home game and cannot fit anyone else in the ground, my point is that if we had a big enough stadium we have the capability to attract crowds of more than 30,000 and the Arsenal game we could have sold out twice over according to the club. That hardly sounds like a very small club to me.

Apparently, from the Capital Canaries annual meeting, the board spoke of the debt figure being upwards of 20 million.

I must be getting old, for I forgot to spellcheck my last post on this thread and apologise for spelling hear as in listen (here). Slapped wrist.

Have I still got crowd capacity wrong.  I am sure that it was stated as 25000.  With the corner infill taking us towards 30000.  The poster that said there is a potential of 30000+ fans is maybe right, but is there seating  for them at present.

OB1 I was talking about the unsecured debt against real estate of 14 million and this is a long standing arrangement, The full inclusive debt is well in excess of twenty million and rising. the next statement will probably be in the region of twentyseven and a halfmillion. 

If we can secure a paying fan base of 30thousand +, the debt is likely to come down as long as we don''t buy 5million pound players who require £20000 per week upwards, with all the player repercussions and unsettlement that will undoubtably result from such a move. OTBC!!!!!  I have faith that we can keep up if we get our present staff playing to their potential, and as well as they can, most of the time