Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

Russell - asset or liability?

I can''t make my mind up whether Russell is the just the type of player we need for the last few games, or is he just a liability.  Cool heads and a bit of common sense are needed in close games like today, and at times Russell just seemed to lose it completely.  He always seems to be looking for revenge if someone tackles him harshly, and he always wants to have the last word with the referee.  Does anyone know if he holds the record for the number of sendings off in a season?

Asset, pure and simple.

The big thing I have seen on these boards is people complaining about loanees with no feeling for the club and the one thing you can guarantee with DR is that he will play with passion.

I think he was outplayed by the Plymouth captain today and ended up getting sent off but want him in the team to inspire the rest of the squad.

[quote user="silver fox"]I can''t make my mind up whether Russell is the just the type of player we need for the last few games, or is he just a liability.  Cool heads and a bit of common sense are needed in close games like today, and at times Russell just seemed to lose it completely.  He always seems to be looking for revenge if someone tackles him harshly, and he always wants to have the last word with the referee.  Does anyone know if he holds the record for the number of sendings off in a season?[/quote]

Not sure.  His attitude is a liability,  he seems an angry man at the mo,  arguing constantly with the refs but lacking committment elsewhere.   His bookings did seem soft however he was consistently pulled up by the ref,  did not learn,  gave some back chat and paid the consequence.

However some of his play today was good,  he just disappears for too long,  unless he is wronged.   Neither he nor Clingan were too good again today with far too many misplaced passes and too few tackles.

However,  who wants to change a winning side?  And on that basis Rustys attitude today could yet still cost us.  

[quote user="rjwc22"]

To be fair after a red card this winning team is going to have to be changed.

[/quote]

And on that basis Rustys attitude today could yet still cost us.  

Isnt that what I just said?

There was a tackle earlier after he had already been booked, where he could have been sent off today which I felt was very reckless, and would have possibly cost us the game as we would have had only ten men for half an hour. He also showed no respect to the referee either when he was waving his arms around long after the first booking, and the referee, fortunately for us did not turn it into a red there and then. I would not have blamed him at all !!

I thought that Russell had learnt from last season that being a hot-head costs the team, as it did at Leicester when he was sent off.  I like Russell''s commitment but his sending off today was far too predictable and should have been avoidable with a little self-control. He is indeed verging on being a liability.    

How about asset but dumbass. He''s great on the pitch but today''s red was just dumb.  Now it seems Matty Patty should get his chance to see if he''s worth it or not.  But Russell''s recklesness smacks of poor concentration and lack of self control.  He''s good when he''s on th epitch but today''s red surely hurt us.

He is an absolute asset.  His commitment is second to none and a lot of the work he does goes unnoticed.  Was chatting to him after the game and he is absolutely gutted, as he has just got himself back to full fitness and has established himself back in the team. He is definitely a player who cares about playing for our club, which can''t be said for all at the moment.

He''s a good player, but he''s been off form lately.

As a result, if we had many options, I think he''d have been on the bench tbh.

As we don''t have any options, we might miss him, especially if hoolahan is out too.

[quote user="Budapest Canary"]Another way of avoiding this to happen, is taking him off after the first yellow... Maybe it''s a lesson for Gunn as well. [/quote]

I think 25,000 people could see the 2nd yellow coming yesterday.  This situation calls for controlled and disciplined players and to my mind he is a liability.  A good 15 minutes before he was sent off he was constantly blarring in the ref''s ear and on another day could have ''talked'' himself into the 2nd yellow. Totally off the pace yesterday; looked like a passenger.

[quote user="Dean Coneys Arse"]

[quote user="Budapest Canary"]Another way of avoiding this to happen, is taking him off after the first yellow... Maybe it''s a lesson for Gunn as well. [/quote]

I think 25,000 people could see the 2nd yellow coming yesterday.  This situation calls for controlled and disciplined players and to my mind he is a liability.  A good 15 minutes before he was sent off he was constantly blarring in the ref''s ear and on another day could have ''talked'' himself into the 2nd yellow. Totally off the pace yesterday; looked like a passenger.

[/quote]

Agreed, his game is based around energy and he seemed to be labouring to me. He lost a few tackles that you''d normally expect him to win and generally looked off the pace. On his day he''s definitely an asset but can be a liability because of his hot headed attitude.

[quote user="silver fox"]I can''t make my mind up whether Russell is the just the type of player we need for the last few games, or is he just a liability.  Cool heads and a bit of common sense are needed in close games like today, and at times Russell just seemed to lose it completely.  He always seems to be looking for revenge if someone tackles him harshly, and he always wants to have the last word with the referee.  Does anyone know if he holds the record for the number of sendings off in a season?[/quote]

Oh, isn''t Jamie playing anymore?[^o)]

Asset when his head is right. I watched a player today who was displaying Etuhu traits. He was far too often caught hiding behind opposition players and making himself unavailable for a pass. He was walking around where a few weeks ago he would have been running.

Having said that i think he plays better with a Sammy Clingan who is on top of his game and he just isn''t at the moment. I guess he is more concened about choosing his new curtains for when he moves to Fulham. A Forest fan tells me his form dipped alarmingly last year when he knew he was walking away. Maybe we are suffereing the same effect.

[quote user="Dean Coneys Arse"]

[/quote]Yes - and Clingan wasn''t having his best game either.Russell was poor yesterday, lost it 2nd half, kept moaning at the ref as you say - everyone around me knew he''d get sent off.The annoying thing for me is he''s the first one in the paper who''ll say "We''ll do it for the fans!", and then in a huge relegation match he gets sent off for being an idiot.Personally, I''d play Pattison and drop Russell.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

Wiz, we are discussing Russell here, not your love child.  Any excuse to mention his name; must be the thrux of 9,000 of your 10,000 odd posts

[quote user="MonkeyTrousers"][quote user="Dean Coneys Arse"]

[/quote]

Yes - and Clingan wasn''t having his best game either.

Russell was poor yesterday, lost it 2nd half, kept moaning at the ref as you say - everyone around me knew he''d get sent off.

The annoying thing for me is he''s the first one in the paper who''ll say "We''ll do it for the fans!", and then in a huge relegation match he gets sent off for being an idiot.

Personally, I''d play Pattison and drop Russell.

[/quote]

I agree.  Clingan was mediocre at best also.  Needs to up his game next week.  But then didn''t have to be a world beater.  Plymouth were shocking

[quote user="Dean Coneys Arse"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

Wiz, we are discussing Russell here, not your love child.  Any excuse to mention his name; must be the thrux of 9,000 of your 10,000 odd posts

[/quote]

You miss my point Arse.

The main whipping boy isn''t playing, so the posters on here, including you, need a new one.

Rusty, come on down!

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Dean Coneys Arse"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You miss my point Arse.

The main whipping boy isn''t playing, so the posters on here, including you, need a new one.

Rusty, come on down!

[/quote]

No I don''t Wiz.  My criticism of Russell is justified, not just because he is the latest ''whipping boy''.  He was our worst player yesterday by a country mile.  So get out of your pram and pick up the dumy you spat out.

You miss my point Arse.

Rusty, come on down!

[/quote]

No I don''t Wiz.  My criticism of Russell is justified, not just because he is the latest ''whipping boy''.  He was our worst player yesterday by a country mile.  So get out of your pram and pick up the dumy you spat out.

[/quote]

You really ain''t got the nack of this message board lark yet have you Arse![:D]

You miss my point Arse.

Rusty, come on down!

[/quote]

[/quote]

You really ain''t got the nack of this message board lark yet have you Arse![:D]

[/quote]

See my post at 9.24am Wiz.  As soon as I made a mistake, I own up to it.  There''s a lesson in this for you Wiz!

You miss my point Arse.

Rusty, come on down!

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If you''re going to be picky, so am I.  Your statement should have ended with a ''?'', not a ''!'', as I believe you asked me a question.

Get back to the subject Wiz. It''s Russell, not my keyboard skills or your love child.

You miss my point Arse.

Rusty, come on down!

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If you''re going to be picky, so am I.  Your statement should have ended with a ''?'', not a ''!'', as I believe you asked me a question.

Get back to the subject Wiz. It''s Russell, not my keyboard skills or your love child.

[/quote]

Whoa Arse!

Yet again you miss my point. My English is one of the worse on this message board, so I''d hardly be in a position to laugh at yours, would I?

I was in fact, pointing out your highlighted desciption/opinion of me, I don''t spit dummies out...............well rarely!

And I was on subject, as there''s no Curo, Russell, imo, is being made the new scapegoat.

Does it matter if the odd player has a poor game as long as we win?

I can imagine you could look at the Liverpool side who beat ManUre yesterday and pick out one or two who had an indifferent game.

It does seem like this forum always needs a scapegoat!

I dont actually like Darel Russell, if he doesnt battle then he doesnt really do a lot and just lately he hasnt been battling much. Thought he was average in the 1st half but battled well in the 2nd. He''s a bit slow and has a poor touch. Having said that his 2 yellow cards were taking one for the team as both times Plymouth were on the break, especially the red card one and could have resulted in goals.Id like to see a better midfielder alongside Clingan tho, someone strong with a bit more of an attacking threat, someone who can get in the box, score and create more than Russell does. Just think if we''d have a Lampard type player alongside Clingan how better we''d be.

Defo liability for me. He is not the player he was even last year.

Goes missing for long parts of game and sulks. He invariably goes to ground when tackling. Not an attribute for a supposedly ball winning midfielder.

BTW Clingon might not have been at his best but he''s a country mile better than anyone else we have in midfield.

[quote user="whoareyou"]

Does it matter if the odd player has a poor game as long as we win?

I can imagine you could look at the Liverpool side who beat ManUre yesterday and pick out one or two who had an indifferent game.

It does seem like this forum always needs a scapegoat!

[/quote]A scapegoat is someone unfairly blamed for the team''s failings.Cureton can''t hit a cow''s arse with a banjo, so he''s not a scapegoat - people merely criticise him for not doing his job properly.Russell always talks a good game, but once more he got himself needlessly sent off yesterday which means we are now short of an experienced central midfielder for one of our crucial run-in games.  Therefore he''s not a scapegoat - he''s an idiot.