Sign in to follow this  
James Kent

Were we wrong to want Carney on the left?

I thought we were a better team with Hoolahan playing left.

Carney didn''t look a big threat other than one cross to Mooney.

Most of our chances in the first half were a result of good play by Hoolahan.

That has been the case for the last few games.

Hoolahan is invaluable for us really. Since Roeder he has really come out of his shell. I hope his injury wasn''t too serious, as we need him to feature as much as possible to aid our survival - Radio Norfolk speculated that it was most probably a sprain. He is clearly influential in the middle, and is the player who will create chances and slip in those important through balls - plus his link up with Gow has been priceless.However, Carney can do a job down the left, no doubt about it, he is a decent player and given the chance will create chances for us too (as we saw against Wolves).

I actually thought we looked better balanced in the second half. Two genuine wingers stretched Plymouth more and created better channels for Gow and Mooney to run into. Carney had an up and down game. He clearly likes to run at players, which is good, but he was guilty of some bad decisions.

I think Carney looks a good player. He hasn''t played much football lately but I think he''s shown enough to suggest he could do well for us.

Although no doubt Hoolahan is still a big loss because he''s a quality player.

[quote user="Jim Kent"]I thought we were a better team with Hoolahan playing left. Carney didn''t look a big threat other than one cross to Mooney. Most of our chances in the first half were a result of good play by Hoolahan. That has been the case for the last few games.[/quote]

To be honest i would have given lappin a run out

I also think we were a better team in the second half with Carney on the left (playing in position)rater than a wandering minstrel like Hoolahan.

Which half did we score ?

was hoolahan not injured?...and yep granted the goal was scored in the second, but you always get the impression that hoolahan can create that clear-cut chance, which besides the goal, and one for gow and mooney either halve we didnt really create for all our domination

Carney makes intelligent runs and passes over the defence/down the wings for the strikers to run onto.

I have to say, Bertrand has been back to his best in the last few games, since we switched to LB.

I too felt we looked much more balanced in the second half with Carney on. I dont disagree that wes has good control and is technically a good player but I just think he is far too much of a luxury player and that is something we can ill afford when we''re in a relagation battle. Carney is a more traditional winger from what ive seen of him.

OTBC

Sheesh!!!If there were awards for talking utter boll*cks, you guys would win first prize every time.

[quote user="shyster"]Sheesh!!!

If there were awards for talking utter boll*cks, you guys would win first prize every time.
[/quote] 

Last time I looked, you had scooped them all!!!!

carney is less likely to give up possession than hoolahan - important when you only have a 1-0 lead. he''s a good player is wes, but he often holds the ball a little longer than he needs to, and because he isnt big enough to effectively shield the ball, he can cause possession in their half to break down into defending our box. he''s got better as the season has gone on in this respect, and this can only be because the coaching staff have identified it as a problem with his game.

carney disappointed me - i wouldn''t want to sign him...i doubt if he can do the type of job required - he looks to indisciplined - and i very much doubt if he''s got a ''champs engine'' to run up and down the line all day...he''s better than nowt of hooley is out - but i can''t see the boy lasting more than 45 mins...unless he''s just terribly unfit (killen style)!!!

I''d start Hoolahan as first choice winger on the left, but i also agree if we''re 1 or 2 nil up i''d replace him with Carney or Lappin as they''re more solid defensively.