Sign in to follow this  
Smudger Appreciation Society (SAS)

Which end to attack last?

I always thought, if we won the toss, we use to attack the River End 1st half and the Barclay the 2nd. Over recent years it''s been the other way around and to me gave some advantage to the opposition.

Did we win that call today and those in the dug out turning things around to how things should be? I''m sure it''s more beneficial to us that we take the oppositions attack away from their fans (and for us into the hands of the Barclay) in the latter stages.

Not being too personal but the River End side of the ground is far too placid to drive inspiration into our attack force. More likely to get groans for fouls not given or against us from that side.

Just my thoughts.

[quote user="Smudger Appreciation Society "]

I always thought, if we won the toss, we use to attack the River End 1st half and the Barclay the 2nd. Over recent years it''s been the other way around and to me gave some advantage to the opposition.

Did we win that call today and those in the dug out turning things around to how things should be? I''m sure it''s more beneficial to us that we take the oppositions attack away from their fans (and for us into the hands of the Barclay) in the latter stages.

Not being too personal but the River End side of the ground is far too placid to drive inspiration into our attack force. More likely to get groans for fouls not given or against us from that side.

Just my thoughts.

[/quote]Totally agree - there''s always some rubbish spouted about sun in keepers eyes ... but yes its a no brainer to attack the Barclay at the end of the game, someone has a username to that effect.

I always thought it was something to do with the slope? Either way it seems silly.

Yes, several players and I think some managers have responded to the question by citing the slope as the reason. Does it really matter? I am sure someone can come up with some stats to prove it does one way or the other.

I''ve always thought we play better attacking the barclay 2nd half and always wonder about this too.

I don''t think it can be to do with the slope anymore, if that was the reason beforehand, because I think it was evened out as part of the new pitch being installed when we got promoted... I think.

We have always choosen to attack the River End 2nd half because of the slope.

We have won a couple of games kicking the wrong way this season but its the exception rather than the rule and only because we have lost the toss.

as said before, the slope was sorted when we had the pitch relaid,so now no slope, if nothing else it makes sence to attackthe Barclay in 2nd half, also we should take away the seats in the lower Barclay   

[quote user="pete_norw"]

as said before, the slope was sorted when we had the pitch relaid,so now no slope, if nothing else it makes sence to attackthe Barclay in 2nd half, also we should take away the seats in the lower Barclay   

[/quote]didnt think there was a bloody slope, having been on and around that pitch you can see its relatively flat.

watched the second half of the game in the bar last tuesday and the commentator did mention then that the reason why they atack the river end in the second half is because it slopes towards that way.wuss gewin orn?  

[quote user="plan b"]watched the second half of the game in the bar last tuesday and the commentator did mention then that the reason why they atack the river end in the second half is because it slopes towards that way.wuss gewin orn?   [/quote]As a River Ender, from a personal viewpoint it''s better when they attack the River second half, but if I was the manager I''d want them attacking the Barclay second half – more pressure on the away keeper as well as the obvious support for us. All the big teams attack their ''hardcore'' fans second half – Liverpool on the Kop being one example.

Newcastle''s pitch has a massive slope - its outside of prem regs but they get away with it.Cant say I ever noticed a slope at Carrow road.