Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

The downside of Newbie posters!.

Have you noticed of late, the increase in rudeness, aggressive and insulting posts appearing on these boards?.

As a serial ''low life'' poster!, yes, that''s just one example, others and myself have been called, and many have all been at the receiving end of this nasty trend which is increasing daily on here, and IMO its spoiling this site.

Now we all know that debate, can sometimes get heated at times (well I know I do!), but I would like to think that even my arch nemesis Yankee Canary and I, stop short of being damn right rude and insulting to each other!. And we''ve had many a ''ding dong'' on here, but I still respect him.

So, doing a ''Yankee'', I trawled through all the recent posts on these boards, and without exception, it was a newbie who had been the author of a nasty insult.

I beg them please stop this.

Point and counterpoint is the lifeblood of these boards, and must remain so, but just being insulting to fellow posters, and yes, fellow city fans, is not clever, and does not give any wait to your argument at all.

On the plus side, many newbies posts have been quite stimulating, and added a lot of healthy debate to these boards, which I have enjoyed. And of course we welcome them with open arms, but we could well do without the overreaction of a certain few.

I await your replies, with interest and trepidation. 

I have been reading these post for many a month now & it always seems to me that the (newbies) as you call them dont get much of a lookin anyhow.Seeing your posts Wiz & other die hard forum posters,there always seems to be a pattern taking place,ie the newbies tend to get ignored quite alot & slated aswell for giving there own opinions ( Just like  i probably will now ) & it doesnt bother me one little bit! But,other newbies may get put off by that & never bother to post again & im sure some of these newbies have some very interesting & valid points to put across.  Who knows they may even know more about football than the lot of you put together!

How would we have liked it back in the 70''s if there was a forum like this only to get slated by the diehard forum posters?

I agree Wiz.  I am guilty of rising to the bait sometimes, but I don''t think I have ever been rude.  I saw that post you are referring to and I replied complaining at the person in question.

As far as you and Yankee go, its better than reading a book sometimes

Being a relatively newbie myself I would have to say that I kind of agree that there is no need for just blatant insults and would hope none of my posts have been taken that way as they are not meant to be. I know my views on Hendo aren''t shared by nearly everyone and I didn''t gain any friends by my attack on him but I''d like to think I wasn''t rude in my opinions.By all means argue thats what its about but I do agree 1st Wiz that insults should be left out. Although I would say that this site has got a few established posters that don''t exactly welcome newbies.

I think maybe some of the newbie''s might just be non-norwich fans come for a bit butt-kicking.

But I think twosheds has some valid points as well - this forum is kinda same old, same old:

Same old people same old opinions.  Of course you''re all entitled to them.

While I agree that there shouldn''t be insults or abuse posted about anuone.. whoops wrong binners apart.

But also I must agree with two sheds, those with a lower number of posts by their name seem to get ignored, it has become very clicky.. if you aren''t in the regular group ..well when you start a post. it gets ignored and when you tag an answer on one more often than not that ends the post.

I was a member of this place at the begining but have forgot my password etc so re registered

I called Stevenagefan the most boring fan in the world for always being upbeat. But I did say it was a bit harsh and apologise afterwards. Again apologies, old chap.

[quote]I have been reading these post for many a month now & it always seems to me that the (newbies) as you call them dont get much of a lookin anyhow.Seeing your posts Wiz & other die hard forum po...[/quote]

Two Sheds: Interesting name that, why did you choose it by the way?.

Please read my post carefully, and then answer my main point. You make some valid points yourself my friend, but failed to answer my original question.

And did I not praise some of their contributions to these boards?.

Not sure I agree with you there 1st Wizard. It seems to me that several high volume posters seem to consider themselves ''more equal than others''. I think it''s nice to see fresh blood on here as well as some of the old favourites.

Yes a few of you think of yourselves as the aristocracy of the board but even you have been guilty of a few insults from time to time. I also seem to remember one threat to a poster which didn''t actually read as the jest I''m sure it was intended to.

As far as I am concerned if a post makes interesting reading and hits the mark then I am not bothered if it comes from somebody who has posted regularly or a newcomer.  All posts are nine times out of ten worth the reading time and some even deserve a reply.  I do agree with 1st Wiz though that some people can be offensive in their replies and this is not warranted in any form. Be it a newcomer or an established poster there is no need for any bad taste but there again i do feel that most times we behave ourselves.  Probably a binner coming on here to wind us up which is sometimes easier to do with some people than others.  IE - do not reply to the JOKER.

[quote]Not sure I agree with you there 1st Wizard. It seems to me that several high volume posters seem to consider themselves ''more equal than others''. I think it''s nice to see fresh blood on here as well a...[/quote]

I''m quite appalled that some of you think us ''serial'' posters are clicky and feel superior. If that is the case, then this must stop forthwith.

I for one, will try and be very mindful of that in the future, although I did''nt realise there was a problem.

However, I''m sure other ''older'' posters will agree, we will be aware of your feelings on this in the future, ok?.

Al Yellow: If you are refereing to a threat by me to turn someone into a tadpole, and upsetting a new poster, then maybe the said poster, should stop reading Harry bloody Potter!.

Everyone knows the old wiz can do no real harm to fellow city supporters, yes?.

I found you rather offensive last week Wiz, as you sarcastically and patronisingly dissed someone''s opinion for being a junior poster. You know, not all of us have the time to spare to be posting all day, so we''ll never be as prolific as some of you, who apparently spend all day on this message board. Perhaps it would be a good idea to get rid of the Number of Posts figure under our names, once we get past, say 10 or 20 posts, then perhaps all of our opinions we''ll all be considered to be equal on these boards

Personally, it could alternatively be argued that the frequent patronising and condascending tone of your posts provokes these responses. Incidentally, I don''t notice this trait in DDiM''s posts.

Also a bit of light banter can quickly escalate and be taken in the wrong manner. I''ve experienced this myself and backed off as I didn''t think it was healthy for the board to degenerate further (not because I''ve capitulated).
I have noticed the tendency of those serial posters to take the high ground - one of whom appeared to have such a big chip on their shoulder that an alias of Harry Ramsden would have been more appropriate - whereas their opinions are no more valid than the debutants.

everyone has to start somewhere and i have been on here a long time mainly because i used to have a very cosy IT job where i could be on here all the time and because i am also lucky enough to have a pc at home

when i was first on this board no one took much notice of me - so i do sympathise with anyone who doesn''t receive replies, i have started lots of threads which are not replied to - depends who''s about and how shit we are playing as to what stimulates each and everyone of us

yes, there is a hardcore group of posters (as you will find on many other fan sites) and having met a few on here i can say everyone is usually polite and friendly - unlike another board i used to post on which was full of lowlife! (yes, wiz, the real deal)

we know we are inflitrated at times by the less desirable binners - who cares, they haven''t any decent fan sites anymore, so must come on here to see how to post and chat about football properly eh?

Don''t you furriners know it takes several centuries to become accepted in Norfolk? 

Seriously, we''ve all (including me!) got to bear in mind that not all newbie posts are the same, neither in the opinions they advocate, nor, as a matter of fact, in the reactions they get from us low-lifers.  In any case, I doubt there''s a deliberate tendency to ignore new posters, it''s just that like in any situation it''s easier to relate to people you ''know'' better than to people you''re not so sure about - it''s nothing personal whatsoever. 

For example, I''m absolutely sure there are so many newbies (and readers) who are far, far more knowledgeable than me, but the other posters are kind and tolerate me here, because they know I won''t bite, and usually don''t soil the carpet if you pet me enough.

By the way, it may be boring for some people to read the same posters & opinions all the time, but until you start paying us we won''t change our material. So there!  No-one forces you to read this board, remember: anyway it''s an interactive thing first and foremost, so get posting... 

And again, a big yellow and green welcome to all those who''ve recently joined.

"Anyone fancy a cup of tea?" I''m still in shock from Saturday, and I just can''t be @rsed to write anything or reply to any posts! "Oh....I just have!"..... Welcome, all "Newbie Posters!" to a message board, that keeps me off the streets, and at times, cures my insomnia!

It''s refreshing to have new additions to the forum, because it does become somewhat stale and repetitive. 

A code of conduct would be great, but realistically, unlikely to be forthcoming, as things can and do, get a bit heated!  

(Although I admit, the "veteran" posters, who do have their regular personal ''ding dongs'' entertain me immensely). Not all folk see eye to eye, and will more than often have to have the last word & insult.

Personally, the more the merrier! If things do get a tadge below the belt, our fine vetting type people, will instantly destroy the post, and the offender will be relegated to the subs bench or possibly transfer listed!

So "Newbies!" "WELCOME MY FRIEND''S, TO THE SHOW THAT NEVER ENDS!".......Enjoy! ;~)  And "Keep The Filth!" 

I don''t think it really matters how many times you have posted before.  If your posts are interesting and informative and make a good point they will be noticed, whether you have made 1 post or a 1000.  I know I post a lot (ok, under statement of the year! ) But I only do it because I love this board. 

I don''t (like I''m sure any other serial poster wouldn''t) expect any preferential treatment.  I don''t expect my posts to be considered any more than someone who has posted a couple of times.  Everyone is equal on this board and all opinions are welcome.  However, because everyone wants the same things and appreciates other posters, when a poster insults or is down right rude to another poster, it will be noticed.  I have been rude in the past and regret it.  I remember telling Herb one time to in no uncertain terms p**s off and felt really guilty afterwards! 

The thing I love most about this board is the personalities we have on here.  The Wiz, YC, FatMan, gazza, Stevenage Fan, Zipper, bananman to name but a few.  I think you need to have been here a while to appreciate different posters and the qualities they bring to this board.  However, there is no need to be rude!

I seem to wind people up... and i''m not a binner!! It''s also 2:45am here and I cant sleep... so perhaps I''ve been a little cheeky today... But I think it''s ok to be sarcastic (and not just because I am badly) as long as you still get your point across...

I made the mistake of making "bold" statements... and Mr Pyro burnt me... but I''d do it again... perhaps with a bit more tact and consideration next time!

until about 3 weeks ago I only had 40 off posts under my name and still considered myself a newbie, in fact compared to a lot of people round here I still am.  The thing is I carried on posting whether I was ignored or insulted and now veterans like DDiM are mentioning me as a character on the boards   Thanks DDiM.

Like others have said people relate to people they feel more comfortable with and it takes time to make friends, in the cyber chat sense of the word.

I have gone mental on the boards the last 3 weeks and visit almost every hour.  That''s not because I want to get my posts up, its because I have been genuinely passionate and interested with a lot of the conversations, plus the fact I love NCFC and still feel we are going to have a good season, if only Nigel would listen to my team selection lol