Sign in to follow this  
KeelansGlove

Anybody know why we didn't sign Gow in the summer ?

Seeing the revelation that Gow has been since his arrival does anybody know the inside story as to why we didnt sign him in the summer ?

I seem to remember it was all but a done deal and that he was looking forward to coming but then Roeder never called him back.

Just curious , how different our season might have been !

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]

Seeing the revelation that Gow has been since his arrival does anybody know the inside story as to why we didnt sign him in the summer ?

I seem to remember it was all but a done deal and that he was looking forward to coming but then Roeder never called him back.

[/quote]

not sure but who thinks we could actually sign him permanently if we stay up? im not sure he would sign now, there are going to be bigger clubs after him.

Cos rangers decided they wanted more than the half a dozen pre cooked sheppards pies we were offering!!

[quote user="Dean Coneys Arse"]Coz Roeder didn''t know what he was doing.[/quote]

from what  heared it seemed Roedent thought Gow had the wrong attitude towards him and us, but it''s evident tht it was Roedent with the attitude. Hope we can talk Gow into staying

i think the main reason roeder did not sign gow , was  1..... he looked fairly good.

2.... roeder was a useless tool

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]

[/quote]

Because (and I seem to remember Cam telling us this) a deal had been brokered and all but agreed in principle, and then his agent got wind of the Cullum saga. As a result his agent was convinced that we were due to be sold to a multi squillionaire, he obviously saw the pound signs and decided to go back and re-negiotiate Gows terms and conditions. Apparently he wanted certain add ons, big goal bonus / win bonus etc etc. Since Glenn had already agreed to the deal in principle he got the hump and refused to take the deal further thinking Gow to be a cheeky so and so, and the rest is history.

[quote user="singing canary"]

i think the main reason roeder did not sign gow , was  1..... he looked fairly good.

2.... roeder was a useless tool

[/quote]lmao...superb

I''d heard that having met him, Gow showed no interest in the playing side of the club and his only concern was with pay. Roeder decided he was a bad egg and didn''t follow up the interest.

I believe it was the agent, Phil McTaggert that shafted the deal. Not sure if he is still with him. He also scuppered a similar deal to Burnley that was all but signed. Google it.

What I find strange is that Roeders official line was something along the lines of we could get as good for less and yet we haven''t have we?If the rumours are to be believed Rangers and City had agreed a fee somewhere between £100k and £200k. Either way you look at it even if he was a higher paid player you wouldn''t be spending much on a transfer.If wages were a problem how come we were happy to pay Sibierski? He cannot have been cheap can he? I am not going to say he was rubbish because I think he was played out of position - which actually only goes to show that we needed Gow a lot sooner.If we stay up they must talk sense to his agent, Gow wouldn''t have returned here for no reason so he obviously likes it here and likes Gunny and the others - it would have been quite easy for him to stay at Blackpool (they were interested in keeping him on loan) and to say no to a team who had rejected a permanent move for him in the summer.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="KeelansGlove"]

[/quote]

not sure but who thinks we could actually sign him permanently if we stay up? im not sure he would sign now, there are going to be bigger clubs after him.

[/quote]

he failed a medical at wolves!

[quote user="king canary"]I''ve been told the Sibi deal involved us paying a one off fee to Wigan and not having to pay any of his wages.
[/quote]

If it was more than £5 we were done!

[quote user="Canary02 III"]

[quote user="king canary"]I''ve been told the Sibi deal involved us paying a one off fee to Wigan and not having to pay any of his wages.[/quote]

[/quote]Apparently it was more like £250,000. Agree it was a rubbish deal whatever we paid! Dont take this as gospel thouhg its just what I was told.

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="Canary02 III"]

[quote user="king canary"]I''ve been told the Sibi deal involved us paying a one off fee to Wigan and not having to pay any of his wages.
[/quote]

[/quote]
Apparently it was more like £250,000. Agree it was a rubbish deal whatever we paid! Dont take this as gospel thouhg its just what I was told.
[/quote]

If Roeder used what was effectively his last £250,000 on that ineffective shinyhead I think we have a case for demanding his severance pay be returned due to gross incompetence! Shocker!

[quote user="Canary02 III"][quote user="king canary"][quote user="Canary02 III"]

[quote user="king canary"]I''ve been told the Sibi deal involved us paying a one off fee to Wigan and not having to pay any of his wages.[/quote]

[/quote]Apparently it was more like £250,000. Agree it was a rubbish deal whatever we paid! Dont take this as gospel thouhg its just what I was told.[/quote]

If Roeder used what was effectively his last £250,000 on that ineffective shinyhead I think we have a case for demanding his severance pay be returned due to gross incompetence! Shocker!

[/quote]To be fair to him alot of people on here wanted Sibi here, he was mentioned alot on lists of targets.

[quote user="Mutley"][quote user="KeelansGlove"]

[/quote]

Because (and I seem to remember Cam telling us this) a deal had been brokered and all but agreed in principle, and then his agent got wind of the Cullum saga. As a result his agent was convinced that we were due to be sold to a multi squillionaire, he obviously saw the pound signs and decided to go back and re-negiotiate Gows terms and conditions. Apparently he wanted certain add ons, big goal bonus / win bonus etc etc. Since Glenn had already agreed to the deal in principle he got the hump and refused to take the deal further thinking Gow to be a cheeky so and so, and the rest is history.

[/quote]

In case any of you missed it Mr Gow subsequently agreed a deal with Blackpool.  According to the Sports Editor of the local evening paper the player agreed the terms offered by the (then) Mr Grayson, asked for time to "think it over" and departed Scotlandwards.

Whereupon Mr Grayson was assaulted by telephone by an agent demanding umpteen unagreed add ons, league position, winning goals et al, removal of League One relegation clause et al.  Neither the Blackpool sports editor nor I know whether Mr Grayson couldn''t afford to meet those demands or wouldn''t meet them but in the end they simply told both to bugger off.

Norwich had agreed a deal with the player and, enamoured of Mr Cullum and his millions, the agent chose to attempt to....errr....move the goalposts.

He is still represented by Mr McTaggart as far as I know but perhaps Mr Gow is not as influenced as he once was and has finally got bored with kicking his heels in a Scottish reserve squad or not even making that, sometimes.

Perhaps it was the "behind closed doors" friendly v Inverurie Loco Works wot done for him?[:|]

Glad he appears to have finally hit some football form and has perhaps realised that if wants to actually play football week in week out he may have to lower his expectations as to bonuses etc.  Or the expectations of someone else.

This is not a slight in any way on Inverurie Loco Works, proud members of the Highland League, and founded in 1902 by employees of the late Great North of Scotland Railway.   Perhaps that is the link?  Only their original line between Gunny''s Aberdeen and Keith survives today.

Talking about Scottish links we are reliably informed that a huge chunk of your Agent payments concerns one Mr Hoolahan - not to Blackpool nor to The Hooligan but to "facilitate" [:P] a challenge by a Scottish football club on his signing.  I do believe that they raised the matter as far as FIFA but strangely it was later mysteriously dropped.

"Not a problem, Glenn, not a problem..............." [;)]

I think facilitate is a lovely and underrated word.

"If a player had said to Bill Shankly ''I''ve got to speak to my agent'',

Bill would have hit him. And I would have held him while he hit him."- B. Clough

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]Perhaps the same reason he didn''t sign for Wolves? Bio-mechanical problem my arse![/quote]Gawd, does that mean when he scores he will be doing a Crouch-esque celebration?

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="Mutley"][quote user="KeelansGlove"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

In case any of you missed it Mr Gow subsequently agreed a deal with Blackpool.  According to the Sports Editor of the local evening paper the player agreed the terms offered by the (then) Mr Grayson, asked for time to "think it over" and departed Scotlandwards.

Whereupon Mr Grayson was assaulted by telephone by an agent demanding umpteen unagreed add ons, league position, winning goals et al, removal of League One relegation clause et al.  Neither the Blackpool sports editor nor I know whether Mr Grayson couldn''t afford to meet those demands or wouldn''t meet them but in the end they simply told both to bugger off.

Norwich had agreed a deal with the player and, enamoured of Mr Cullum and his millions, the agent chose to attempt to....errr....move the goalposts.

He is still represented by Mr McTaggart as far as I know but perhaps Mr Gow is not as influenced as he once was and has finally got bored with kicking his heels in a Scottish reserve squad or not even making that, sometimes.

Perhaps it was the "behind closed doors" friendly v Inverurie Loco Works wot done for him?[:|]

Glad he appears to have finally hit some football form and has perhaps realised that if wants to actually play football week in week out he may have to lower his expectations as to bonuses etc.  Or the expectations of someone else.

This is not a slight in any way on Inverurie Loco Works, proud members of the Highland League, and founded in 1902 by employees of the late Great North of Scotland Railway.   Perhaps that is the link?  Only their original line between Gunny''s Aberdeen and Keith survives today.

Talking about Scottish links we are reliably informed that a huge chunk of your Agent payments concerns one Mr Hoolahan - not to Blackpool nor to The Hooligan but to "facilitate" [:P] a challenge by a Scottish football club on his signing.  I do believe that they raised the matter as far as FIFA but strangely it was later mysteriously dropped.

"Not a problem, Glenn, not a problem..............." [;)]

I think facilitate is a lovely and underrated word.

[/quote]I wonder if it is a bit like the Huckerby situation Cam. Thanks for your insight - I appreciate it if no one else does and I know you get a hard time on here.It sounds like the player is accomodating and then is informed by his agent that he can do better. Huckerby was in that position when he came to us but liked the club, the area, the support that he had already collected from the fans and told his agent to go jump. As you say Gow may well be getting closer to that point.In some ways I still think it doesn''t add up - by that I mean the player cannot have been upset by what happened over the summer. I should imagine that we were not the only club to go for him as a loan target - he had impressed quite a few people whilst he was on loan at Blackpool I believe.The only thing I can think is that the dispute never reached him, which seems to be the case looking back at his reactions over the summer. It seems his agent tries to get things agreed off the reccord.As for Sibs - I am not sure if you know anymore about that one Cam, but if he cost £250k for his loan then in my opinion we should have paid the low fee for Gow and know that we had a permanent player and one that would cost almost as much as that fee on wages for the season. £250k is a ludicrous amount of money for a loan player.

LOL, reminds me of something that happened on FM, Man City wanted £775k from me to loan Evans for 3 months.

But with hindsight it would definatly have been better to have used the Sibierski money to sign Gow permanently than loan Sibi for half a season in which he achieved sod all, all be it playing out of position.

Good afternoon guys!!!!!!!

I am new to the board and I thought I would clear up some inaccuarate points within the above post......... I really dont know where these "FACTS" came from but they far from the truth.

Alan came down to Norwich for talks during the summer and absolutely loved the ground and training facilities and to be honest the money they offered was fantastic, more than double what he is on at Rangers, there was never any talk of add ons, winning goals, league postions....... that is just nonsense to even suggest such. the reason he didn''t come then was simply down to Glenn Roeder, he just didn''t like him or what he had to say........ simple as that!!!!!

Alan is no longer with Phil McTaggart and hasnt been since he went to Blackpool, Alan doesn''t have an agent and allows the FA to broker deals for no charge. it cost Norwich no money apart from wages for Alan to come.

Just to Clear up too, The Wolves Deal fell through because Alan has a slight tear in his hip which has likely been there for years and will not get any worse and will heal with time, it causes no pain and only showed up during the full body scan during the medical, Wolves weren''t willing to take any risks and the deal fell through.

anything else you want know just ask rather than listening to people how think they are in the know!!!!!!!!

[quote user="PALAHNUIKSLAUGHTER"]

anything else you want know just ask rather than listening to people how think they are in the know!!!!!!!![/quote]

Like you?

[quote user="PALAHNUIKSLAUGHTER"]

Good afternoon guys!!!!!!!

I am new to the board and I thought I would clear up some inaccuarate points within the above post......... I really dont know where these "FACTS" came from but they far from the truth.

Alan came down to Norwich for talks during the summer and absolutely loved the ground and training facilities and to be honest the money they offered was fantastic, more than double what he is on at Rangers, there was never any talk of add ons, winning goals, league postions....... that is just nonsense to even suggest such. the reason he didn''t come then was simply down to Glenn Roeder, he just didn''t like him or what he had to say........ simple as that!!!!!

Alan is no longer with Phil McTaggart and hasnt been since he went to Blackpool, Alan doesn''t have an agent and allows the FA to broker deals for no charge. it cost Norwich no money apart from wages for Alan to come.

Just to Clear up too, The Wolves Deal fell through because Alan has a slight tear in his hip which has likely been there for years and will not get any worse and will heal with time, it causes no pain and only showed up during the full body scan during the medical, Wolves weren''t willing to take any risks and the deal fell through.

anything else you want know just ask rather than listening to people how think they are in the know!!!!!!!!

[/quote]

Welcome to the message board Mrs Gow!