Sign in to follow this  
HappyhammerAndy

NC lining up summer transfers.

I was looking for an article on West Ham when I read this. Any good for you, or is it common knowledge?

Norwich are lining up summer moves for Northampton duo Mark Hughes and Giles Coke. Both centre-back Hughes and attacking midfielder Coke, who are both 22, will be out of contract in the summer.Coke cost League One outfit Northampton £70,000 after signing from Mansfield in the summer of 2007, with former Everton trainee Hughes joining at the same time.

And Norwich boss Bryan Gunn reckons the duo could make an impact at Carrow Road next season

sport.co.uk

Andy

Giles Coke

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Giles Coke
Personal information
Full nameGiles Christopher Coke
Date of birth3 June 1986 (1986-06-03) (age 22)
Place of birth   London, England
Height1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)
Playing positionMidfielder
Club information
Current clubNorthampton Town
Number7
Youth career
2002–2004Queens Park Rangers
Senior career1
YearsClubApp (Gls)*
2004–2005
2005–2007
2007–
Kingstonian
Mansfield Town
Northampton Town
028 0(0)
070 0(5)
045 0(7)   

1 Senior club appearances and goals
counted for the domestic league only and
correct as of 13:00, 8 March 2009 (UTC).
* Appearances (Goals)

Giles Christopher Coke (born 3 June 1986 in London) is an English footballer who plays for League One side, Northampton Town.

Coke started his career as a youth player at Queens Park Rangers, before joining non-league side Kingstonian with older brother Jon, who is still playing there. Giles was soon snapped up by Mansfield Town, and subsequently bought by Northampton Town in the summer of 2007.

His name was linked with several Championship clubs, including Southampton, Reading, Norwich City, Watford and Wolverhampton Wanderers. However, Coke decided to remain at Mansfield for a further year, signing a new one-year deal with Mansfield in the summer of 2006. He signed for Northampton Town on 2 July 2007 on a two-year contract.[1] A Football League tribunal on 24 September 2007 ruled that Northampton must pay Mansfield a maximum fee of £70,000 (depending on appearances) for the transfer, as well as a sell on clause of 20%.[2]

Although born and bred in London, England, Coke has both Ghanaian and English ancestry allowing him to represent either nation at international level.

[edit] References

I would rather we took a punt on ANY player rather than support a loan system which is ruining the game giving premiership ''maybes'' and ''has beens'' matches.

Loaning players is a no win situation. If they are good then their value rockets if you want them permantly, if they are poor then all you you are doing is paying for other people''s cast offs.

[quote user="HappyhammerAndy"]

I was looking for an article on West Ham when I read this. Any good for you, or is it common knowledge?

Norwich are lining up summer moves for Northampton duo Mark Hughes and Giles Coke. Both centre-back Hughes and attacking midfielder Coke, who are both 22, will be out of contract in the summer.Coke cost League One outfit Northampton £70,000 after signing from Mansfield in the summer of 2007, with former Everton trainee Hughes joining at the same time. And Norwich boss Bryan Gunn reckons the duo could make an impact at Carrow Road next season

sport.co.uk

Andy

[/quote]they could be ''improvers'' or just not good enough...

[quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="HappyhammerAndy"]

Norwich are lining up summer moves for Northampton duo Mark Hughes and Giles Coke. Both centre-back Hughes and attacking midfielder Coke, who are both 22, will be out of contract in the summer.Coke cost League One outfit Northampton £70,000 after signing from Mansfield in the summer of 2007, with former Everton trainee Hughes joining at the same time. And Norwich boss Bryan Gunn reckons the duo could make an impact at Carrow Road next season

sport.co.uk

Andy

[/quote]they could be ''improvers'' or just not good enough...[/quote]In fairness they wont cost a lot and you could sign them on a year with a further two years option or similar and then if they are pants release them. The risk is much the same only that they have a step up to make rather than supposedly a step down.

this is what norwich need to do , its hardly a risk and i cant imagine the wages being too high either.

if they turn out to be great players , then money can be made from them , if they dont its not no shame .

players from the lower leauges are going to be hungry to get on and prove a point .

loan players from premiership clubs (some ) not only on silly wages but i cant see how they would have the hunger as someone from lower leauges.

i have watched some of the leauge 1 and leauge 2 players , teams like mk donns , brighton do have some really exciting propects .

steve bruce ... didnt we find him from gillingham ?? ...

surely the goal that cody scored against cardiff , may be worth more than 25k at the end of the season .

back to the old school norwich, i hope this is the case .

Bear in mind this,  Gunn has been scouting for 2-3 seasons now.  How many times do you reckon Gunn reported to ''the manager'' at the time ''take a gander at these gaffer''.  And ''the manager'' has turned around and said ''not interested''.A few times I reckon, now Gunn''s in charge he can revisit his scouted players, without someone higher knocking him back.

agreed , i think gunny has more up top than roeder and grant put together.

i really hope we stay up , not just for the obvious , but  i think gunny could be very clever in the transfer market in the summer

Exactly the type of players we should look at. Players who will be excited to play for the club, who will see it as a test of their ability to perform at this level.

Not someone here for six months from a Prem youth team who have been told they''ll be the next Ashley Cole and see nothing in a spell at Norwich other than getting a bit of match practice for what they consider will be their real career back in the big leagues.

Hope this is true.

I think we have seen with Cody the enthusiasm you get from the lower leagues which in the champ can often compensate for a comparable lack of ability to the Prem youngsters.

I would rather we took the lower league guys or the players released by the Prem teams (like Burnley and Preston etc do) than take loanees who still think they are going to get into the Prem first teams.  Having said that I suppose Gibbs is doing just that.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]I''m sure Coke could bring a bit of fizz to our team...[/quote]

Worth a snort ......oops,  I mean a punt [;)]

[quote user="First Wizard"]Err? how do you sign players when you have no money?[:S][/quote]

Quantative easing ............it''s the future,I''ve seen it[<:o)]

[quote user="First Wizard"]Err? how do you sign players when you have no money?[:S][/quote]

Roeder managed to waste around £8.5m this year so if Gunn gets a fraction of that next year it''s a start! (wishful thinking or I am deluded? I can''t decide)