Sign in to follow this  
KeelansGlove

BBTB (Bring Back The Barclay) Campaign

Ok so I''m just one sad old git who gets watery eyed when I think of the great times and great people I met standing on the terraces at carrow road. I would be very interested to see if anyone else would be interested in getting limited standing areas back at carrow road either in terms of buying season tickets or indeed raising funds for any development work that would be neccesary.

If its just me I will go back into the hole I crawled out of and shut up.

I think that if enough people were interested we could lobby the club and perhaps even get quotes as to how much the changes would cost to implement and see if we could make it happen.

I understand the days of huge standing areas are behind us but a limited standing area say at the front of the Barclay should not be that expensive and could probably be built to accomadate seating should it be required in future.

If we lowered the floor area at the front of the barclay and removed the first few rows of seats to accomodate maybe 1-2000 people I see no reason it would not be viable and also cost effective for the club. if succesful this could be repeated at the front of the River end.

Perhaps a fund for the development work in conjunction with a 5 year season ticket bond would be enough to convince the club to support it.

I wuld happily sign up to 3 season tickets for the next five years at the same price I am paying now if I could stand. 

This sort of area with strictly limited numbers safety would not be an issue.

Anybody prepared to try to get this bandwagon rolling in terms of season tickets or donations ?

As I said I''ll have 3 season tickets for the next 5 years and throw £1000 into the pot to get started.

yes yes yes and yes.anyone that disagrees well fair enough...go to 80% of the ground and sit down.We are supposedly a free country so anyone that buys into this nonsense that standing means ur some kind of hooligan is a narrowminded idiot.Germany has safe standing and as far as im aware, a far far better atmosphere at games then over in england. Ive stood at a local derby in Colombia but yet have never been allowed to stand (of course we all have in the lower barclay but its not quite the same is it now :P) at an English game :(oh and if anyone brings up Hillsbrough there are so so many reasons that happened........i think any level headed person would agree that the fact there was terracing there had nothing to do with the deaths, the cages of course but not the fact there was a terrace....and the main reason (whether u blame the policing or the fact that loads of ticketless LFC fans surged the gates) is of couirse that a number far greater than could be safely housed ended up in that section.A properly REGULATED standing are, coupled with today''s far superior policing of match days should be absolutely of no danger to the public.....just like going to stand at a rock concert or anywhere else.....

It''s a nice idea, but emailing the cheif exec would only see a polite, but declining response. I''m not sure about the legal constraints of it, but I''d think if something like this could actually be done then another club would have done so by now (perhaps one has and I''ve completly missed it?). My understanding is that tne taylor report is what caused all the grounds to become all seaters. Another reason you might never see this is because of the club''s family friendly image. The board (lovely bunch [;)]) clearly take this very seriously and from a company point of view this may look a bit dangerous (even with the improved policeing/stewarding of games).

[quote user="can u sit down please"]

Just wondering....why can you have standing outside the top 2?

Also, the mosh pit of a concert is farfar worse than standing at football...if that can work then so standing at football.

[/quote]because all football fans are hooligans and cant be trusted you see.

In reply to a number of Questions

Just because something hasn''t been done it doesn''t mean its imposible , we would stll be living in caves with that attitude.

Yes it was IBAs post that convinced me to start this one as much as I disagree with 99% of everything he posts.

and no I do not imagine any multi million pound stands being knocked down, as I said the days of huge staning areas are over but as has been mentioned elsewhere concerts seem to have standing areas  of the size im suggesting.

Removing a few rows of seats from the front of the stand would not require major stand alterations just a reduced floor level and new steps. current exits would be sufficent.

A campaign is a will for change no more, it doesn''t involve investment it just involves support and should there be support things can go forward. No campaign for anything is ever based on guarunteed or even likely succes , why would a campaign be needed if something was going to happen

I know it is unlikely that we will ever have the right to stand at football again, personally I think this is wrong and I am not afraid to say so, its the wonder of living in a democracy even if these things can be taken away from us under the guise of health and safety when anyone with half a brain can see that there is a better way if there is a will for it.

I''m all in favour of bringing back terracing, lets face it all seater stadiums were a complete knee jerk reaction to Hillsborough and a complete over reaction to an incident which had nothing to do with seats or terracing, the disaster was caused by bad policing and hoards of Scousers doing what they do best - trying to get something for nothing and get in for free

Count me in too, although I think you are banging your head against a brick wall TBF.

Rules and regs brought all seating in, and the only way I can see us being allowed to stand is if we get relegated.

yes yes and yes.  I am still in contact with people I met in the barclay back in the late 60s and early 70s. one I think still when we all use to stand and sing our hearts out in the old south Stand.  get it back  stand up and be counted...

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]

I think that if enough people were interested we could lobby the club and perhaps even get quotes as to how much the changes would cost to implement and see if we could make it happen.

[/quote]Pointless going to the club, they''ve enough on their plate and wont directly get involved with what they will regard as local politics - true to a point. Its a health and safety argument -(though there is no real argument against)so therefore a local authority issue.Neither the River End nor Barclay would need much modification, and I suggest the person who suggested demolition visit Carrow Road one day.You should contact the football league who have been discussing the issue recently. Also read this http://www.footballfanscensus.com/issueresults/Executive_Summary_Stand_Up_Sit_Down.pdfand this http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/548/29/There is some good info in those articles about who to lobby. Get FACTS from them to take to the club, otherwise you''ll ignored. Its EXACTLY the supporters assoc should be championing instead of discussing fund raising tombolas

OH MY GOD!

There''s a constructive thread on this message board that is not only drawing a good amount of responses but also being debated in a sensible fashion without resorting to name-calling and fixed positions on two sides of the debate.

Mods - Shut this down immediately!!!!!

IBA, I will try and bring this subject up at the next NCISA meeting - don''t have a clue what the general feeling would be amongst members but would have a go at trying to get some publicity. As far as I can remember the board have been asked about terracing at forums in the past and would react favourably if the legislation allowed.

Let''s all try to get this going - if not immediately, in the close season.

I sit in block E of the Barclay row R and havent sat down since my ticket started in January

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]IBA, I will try and bring this subject up at the next NCISA meeting - don''t have a clue what the general feeling would be amongst members but would have a go at trying to get some publicity. As far as I can remember the board have been asked about terracing at forums in the past and would react favourably if the legislation allowed.

Let''s all try to get this going - if not immediately, in the close season.[/quote]Excellent-  the important feedback would be what anybody finds negative, one objection with a solid reason will undo 100 positives reasonsIf anyone has the inclination it would be worth trolling a few message boards of other clubs to gain support /ideas. Forget the scum....they can sleep better seated. If anyone knows German, some feedback from German teams would be valuableBe great if Norwich fans could be responsible for such a u turn in cultural policy eh

Sorry, my post actually makes no sense, my seat is in Row R block E but haven''t sat down since i''ve been going.

And i''d love to have some more standing sections in the ground. I completly support the idea.

its a good idea but it wont happen,, + i dont see how it would accomodate up to 200 people, more like 500 ?

[quote user="row"]its a good idea but it wont happen,, [/quote]Certainly wont with that attitude.

it would have to go through so many applications and things at the fa that its goin to be atleast 5 years minimum if anything did happen

[quote user="row"]it would have to go through so many applications and things at the fa that its goin to be atleast 5 years minimum if anything did happen[/quote]...then I know something you dont know. And if it did take 10 years - it would be worthwhile.You sit back (pun intended) and let someone else make a stand (pun intended)FFS. The negativity on this message board is beyond belief. You must have some great parties in Norwich.

Their is absolutely no justification for the rule which prevents top 2 Division clubs from having some standing areas in their grounds!

The all seater rule was brought in after the 1989 Hillsborough disaster which was caused by a combination of the police openign the exit gates letting in anyone of the street without checking their ticket if they had one, penned of areas and fences that prevented quick exit from the overcrowded area, nothing at all to do with the fact the stand was a standing area. Indeed the Ellis Park disaster in South Africa during the mid 1990s where more people perished than what did at Hillsborough happened in a all seated area.

If standing at large public gatherings was that dangerous then why is it allowed at lower League clubs, non league clubs every other sport, music concerts, foriegn football grounds and any other large publice gathering!

Their are large numbers of fans at all clubs with all seaters that would prefer to stand and continue to do so which creates problems with stewards and those that want to sit down. At Carrow Rd we lost our terraces in 1992 and yet large numbers of fans in the Barclay still prefer to stand even those not old enough to remember the days of standing. The authorities thought that people would get used to sitting down at games but obviously this hasn''t happened and isn''t going to happen!

Those at the recent Yarmouth friendly at Carrow Rd would of seen the ridiculous scenes where 20 young Yarmouth fans not causing any problems were ejected from the Barclay lower tier for standing up yet nothings done when 1500-2000 fans do the same thing at a 1st team game!

A system of safe standing areas where a stand is converted to standing with the capacity staying the same as it was when all seated with every fan standing behind their own personal numbered crush barrier and no standing in exits is the perfect compromise. In this system their would be no surges or crushes because every fan would be behind a crush barrier and modern day ground control methods would ensure the stands capacity wasn''t breached.

Indeed when you look at it logically standing in an area designated for standing in is far safer than standing in a seated area becuase the crush barriers in a standing area prevents you from falling in to the row in front of you. If you are pushed forward while standing in a seated area you will be pushed into the next row. This has happened to me in the new Barclay a few times!

I''m firmly in favour of allowing safe standing areas back at grounds but I would never want to see a return to the days of surges and crushes that used to occur when the crowd used to push forward. In a safe standing area where every fan had their own crush barrier this wouldn''t happen!

Football in the top 2 Divisions has drifted away from its working class heritage in recent years. Allowing areas like the Barclay lower tier and other popular areas at other grounds to be converted to safe standing areas would help to reverse this trend! 

I''ll support any campaign to see the Barclay lower tier area converted into a safe standing area!

To be fair, in the 8 seasons I''ve had my ticket, I can only count on one hand the amount times I''ve had to sit down. Though in saying that, I would love it if the Barclay (Even if it were just lower) became standing again. I live in London and get to Exeter away games if I can (long story..) and a while back we travelled to Barnet. The stand we were in was like a shed but it was standing and we were all packed in there, and my god what an atmosphere it created.

It was the same at QPR away this season, the whole stand stood for 90 minutes and just made loads of noise. Coincidentally on both occasions, both teams won.

I really would be in favour of this, though as others have pointed out, I can''t see the club paying to rip seats out of the stand that they''ve paid to have put in!