Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

The return of LQ

We (I''m Hungarian) have a writer called Péter Esterházy, who wrote a whole novel that consists of one single sentence. Nice effort, LQ, but still a long way to go...

[quote user="Scottlarock"]I''m sure she is lovely - writing style of a Womens Institute creative writing group though - stomach turning (bile seeped back up my oesophagus confirming my revulsion and abhorrence to what I was facing) indeed.pony[/quote]A collection of cliches lightly stitched together like one of those WI patchwork quilts.

I''m sure with this amount of praise LQ can''t wait to start penning her next blog! Personally, I enjoyed it, there''s far worse on t''internet than this, especially the reference to Jegsy Dodd (is he related to Ken BTW?)!

It''s ok ''Nuff'', I''ve heard worse [;)] And I was annoyed that I couldn''t find a link anwhere on the interweb to the Jegsy Dodd song/poem. It really is wonderful in it''s despair! If I could type fast enough I''d transcribe it but the scouse delivery would be missing and that makes it all the more poignant.Mr Carrow - the answer is ''yes'', quite definitely.Phil - thanks.Budapest - that sounds like my kind of novel but where do you stop to breathe?WI people - how very original to slate the work of a woman by throwing that one in. I''m impressed...

Christ there are some sad and angry people (men?) on this message board. I thought it was OK to be honest. It doesn''t say a huge amount about why we are where we are but then it never sets out to do that in the first place. It''s just one fans thoughts and feelings about our season to date. Her hopes, fears, disappointments and anxieties. What''s wrong with that and why is it ''pretentious''?

I''ll have a look next time you post something Lisa [Y]

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="refjezhitchin"]

isn''t it funny how someone can be portrayed totally different over the internet to in real life?

Can I say I have met LQ in person, she is not pretenious as some people have stated on here, she is actually a nice person

There is enough internet bitching on the main site, I thought this was supposed to be better here?

[/quote]

[img]http://carrowroad.net/carrow1/Smileys/new/rofl.gif[/img]

[/quote]

And yet Wiz is one of main people/posters who is guilty of bitching...[:S]

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

Christ there are some sad and angry people (men?) on this message board. I thought it was OK to be honest. It doesn''t say a huge amount about why we are where we are but then it never sets out to do that in the first place. It''s just one fans thoughts and feelings about our season to date. Her hopes, fears, disappointments and anxieties. What''s wrong with that and why is it ''pretentious''?

I''ll have a look next time you post something Lisa [Y]

[/quote]I wouldn''t say pretentious, just ''a metaphor and cliche packed waffle-fest'' imo.

[quote user="LQ"]WI people - how very original to slate the work of a woman by throwing that one in. I''m impressed...

[/quote]Look stop trying to paint me as a misogynist, any criticism I have passed is not based on your gender, simply based upon the fact your article is full of bad grammar and cliches. As a self publisher (blogger) you lay yourself open, naked and exposed like a fish in a barrel to the next barrage of shots. it goes with the  territory.[:)]

''What we so desperately needed was a loving arm around us. Holding us

tight and telling us that although it might hurt, and it might hurt a

lot, it''s there for us. It feels our pain, shares our anxieties and it

only wants to make us better.''LQ - do you think that maybe this should have been the boards job - and do you not think that it is through their lack of leadership that we find ourselves divided?

What we so desperately needed was a nice cup of tea. A nice cup of tea always make things okay again.  Not chavvy Typhoo 100''s but intelligent Tetley 100s.

Well I just read the ''pretentious'', ''stomach turning'' ''collection of cliches, lightly stitched together like one of those WI patchwork quilts'', this ''metaphor and cliche packed wafflefest'' written by LQ who ''supports Arsenal'', is a ''member of NCFC SGC'' and is ''so far up the board''s and Delia''s a*** it''s embarrassing'' and I found it one of the most enjoyable pieces I''ve read on here in a while.  The ''writing style of a WI creative group'' must appeal to me! 

[quote user="LQ"]WI people - how very original to slate the work of a woman by throwing that one in. I''m impressed...

[/quote]I''m pleased, thanks. You''ll be more impressed with my bakes and flans.

[quote user="Canary Chica"]Well I just read the ''pretentious'', ''stomach turning'' ''collection of cliches, lightly stitched together like one of those WI patchwork quilts'', this ''metaphor and cliche packed wafflefest'' written by LQ who ''supports Arsenal'', is a ''member of NCFC SGC'' and is ''so far up the board''s and Delia''s a*** it''s embarrassing'' and I found it one of the most enjoyable pieces I''ve read on here in a while.  The ''writing style of a WI creative group'' must appeal to me! [/quote]

That''s just great. I found your post to be of a similar standard to LQs and I was bored by it in equal measure.Personally what is even more boring is when chippy feminists get all het up over a throw away remark. The ''WI'' comment was the first thing that popped into my head and the ''gag'' was better for it - I''m not against the ''Womens Institute'' and indeed I really admire the organisation and the great work they do. I''m not anti women at all - complete equals - I prefer them to men in fact.  OTT feminists though get right on my chest area.

[quote user="LQ"]All goes to show how people take you if you don''t conform to the immediacy of the black and white attitude that the Big Bad Club is constantly and purposefully out to deceive, mislead and swindle all us fans out of our right to European footie every year I suppose. Yep, that''d make me a ''Board lover''![/quote]Now hold on a minute, just because someone dislikes the way the board is taking this club it doesn''t mean they''re misguided and simple-minded as your retort here suggests. I don''t consider the club (the board specifically) to be "big", "bad" and self-destructive, I don''t think they have the capability of running Norwich City successfully. I''m pretty sure that is quite a commonly held stance.

[quote user="Shabutie"][quote user="LQ"]All goes to show how people take you if you don''t conform to the immediacy of the black and white attitude that the Big Bad Club is constantly and purposefully out to deceive, mislead and swindle all us fans out of our right to European footie every year I suppose. Yep, that''d make me a ''Board lover''![/quote]
Now hold on a minute, just because someone dislikes the way the board is taking this club it doesn''t mean they''re misguided and simple-minded as your retort here suggests. I don''t consider the club (the board specifically) to be "big", "bad" and self-destructive, I don''t think they have the capability of running Norwich City successfully. I''m pretty sure that is quite a commonly held stance.
[/quote]

Too right.  I`ve seen some pretty extreme posts on here for sure, usually after another defeat but even the most extreme posters have admitted in their more sober moments that the problems at the club are down to mismanagement/incompetence/wrong priorities- they are not deliberate.  The very idea is childish and laughable.

LQ has invalidated any claim to being capable of engaging in reasonable, intelligent debate with that paragraph IMO.

[quote user="Scottlarock"][quote user="Canary Chica"]Well I just read the ''pretentious'', ''stomach turning'' ''collection of cliches, lightly stitched together like one of those WI patchwork quilts'', this ''metaphor and cliche packed wafflefest'' written by LQ who ''supports Arsenal'', is a ''member of NCFC SGC'' and is ''so far up the board''s and Delia''s a*** it''s embarrassing'' and I found it one of the most enjoyable pieces I''ve read on here in a while.  The ''writing style of a WI creative group'' must appeal to me! [/quote]

That''s just great. I found your post to be of a similar standard to LQs and I was bored by it in equal measure.

Personally what is even more boring is when chippy feminists get all het up over a throw away remark. The ''WI'' comment was the first thing that popped into my head and the ''gag'' was better for it - I''m not against the ''Womens Institute'' and indeed I really admire the organisation and the great work they do. I''m not anti women at all - complete equals - I prefer them to men in fact.  OTT feminists though get right on my chest area.

[/quote]

Scottlarock - you have every right to be bored by my contribution.  Isn''t that what life''s about - the rich variety of views - some you agree with, some entertain you - and some do neither. 

You may have imagined me burning my (black lacey) bra and planning to jump in front of horses at Epsom whilst writing my last contribution - whereas actually it was written with my tongue firmly in my cheek.  This was because it intrigued me that the return of LQ and her article provoked the response that it did - it wasn''t so much each individual remark - more the accumulation of them that struck me.  Also I wrote it because I don''t want her to stop writing as the result of a negative response.  I enjoy reading her views and was sorry when she stopped contributing regularly a while ago.  For me her article was entertaining, interesting and I particularly liked the links to YouTube.  It made me smile.  I share LQ''s views about the highs and lows of this season - and loved the YouTube link that illustrated this.  I cannot remember a season like it in all my years of being a City supporter - with hopes being raised only to be dashed to lows such as there have been.

I check in to the messageboard daily but rarely contribute.  As I am based a long way from Carrow Road it helps me to keep in touch with what''s going on there.  For me contributions such as LQ''s and HoustonCanary''s add something to my day.  You may remember HoustonCanary''s thread quite a while ago about football management - it was so funny and very clever.  These are the type of contributions I enjoy most - but that is only my view.  I wouldn''t want to force that on anyone else.  The beauty of messageboards is that they are a forum for all.  For me the ''sack the board'' threads are understandable given the situation we find ourselves in - but they are not the threads I am drawn to reading. 

I am sure we can agree that we want to see Gunn etc get us out of the mess we find ourselves in and start afresh next season in the Championship, with a more positive and consistent approach than we have had to watch - or in my case listen to - this season.

So it''s fine for various posters to (rather insalubriously) state that I have my head up various Board member''s bottoms, but if I counter that I''m branded as childish and unworthy of reasonable debate?OK.Then I''m a feminist?That really is out of left field. No bra burning going on anwhere near me I''m afraid, I mean do you know how much a decent AP number costs???Astrodyne - yes, to an extent that is what I think.Thanks Canary Chica and everyone else who has commented (good or bad from my perspective). I appreciate your time.

I reckon the lovely LQ, Delightful Dick Mennis and Wunnerful Whack Ringworm - should all get together to discuss and gel their comments and opinions regarding the superb running of NCFC - and hopefully, pen a bestseller....Throw Joe Ferrari in the mix - and with final comment by ''It''s all really down to me'' Neil Doncaster....We''ll in no time be in line for the Queen''s Award for Industry and various other accolades - and Alan Sugar may even pay us a visit to pick up a few tips to see how a prospering, profit-making well run business - with a core product of catering, corporate hospitality and construction (with a ickle and somewhat irritating sideline of soccer) should be run.....

Soon, all Championship Football Clubs will be following the ''Norwich Model''.....

Even if we''re relegated to Division One....

[quote user="Guy Gibsons dog."][quote user="LQ"]

That really is out of left field.

[/quote]

Wallop another cliche is spewed like a Tesco''s Chocolate Fountain.
[/quote]

Is that the cheap £9.99 one or the luxury brand at £30?

I thought I''d count the clichés in this soddingly awful piece of writing.
  1. have never rung so true
  2. From the start of the close season
  3. the fine city
  4. his game has taken so many of us to the brink
  5. just when you thought it couldn''t get any worse, it did
  6. "What the hell are you doing?
  7. I''ve no desire to trawl through it all again.
  8. What has gone must be remembered
  9. we live in the present and (look) to the future.
  10. That book is closed. It''s time to start another one.
  11. the beautiful game
  12. the big picture
  13. takes you into the very soul of what it feels like to be a fan
  14. claw our way back to the surface
  15. time and time again.
  16. a loving arm around us
  17. It feels our pain,
  18. we don''t know what we''re in for.
  19. left like fish in a barrel
  20. can dreams come true?
  21. the agony and the ecstacy
  22. without one you can''t fully appreciate the other
  23. mid-table mediocrity.
  24. after everything we''ve been through
  25. when push comes to shove
  26. I am only human
And my favourite...."But the Club, like a wistful lover waiting for the moment that may

never come, was seemingly hung out to dry, inside-out."   << not a

cliche, but what the hell does this actually mean?  Nothing, I venture.  Overwritten and trying way too hard to impress.

So do I win the prize for the most dissected piece ever to appear on the Pink Un?I''m only askin''...

[quote user="LQ"]So do I win the prize for the most dissected piece ever to appear on the Pink Un?I''m only askin''...

[/quote]Oh no Neil Doncaster probably enjoys that accolade.

[quote user="LQ"]So do I win the prize for the most dissected piece ever to appear on the Pink Un?I''m only askin''...

[/quote]I''m giving you an award for having extremely thick skin............if you kept things a bit more simple therefore getting rid of the pomposity then I''m sure you''re writing will improve dramatically. The list Chops did must mean something to you and I would take it as a lesson/help. I for one will read your next blog in the hope that you remember that Football fans are from a wide cross section of society.

Thanks Scott!I seem to remember someone once telling me the only rule is that if you''re not prepared to get shot at don''t put your head above the parapet (you can add that to the cliche list if you like [;)]) It''d be worse if people weren''t reading it from my point of view, but they are.

[quote user="LQ"]Thanks Scott!

I seem to remember someone once telling me the only rule is that if you''re not prepared to get shot at don''t put your head above the parapet (you can add that to the cliche list if you like [;)]) It''d be worse if people weren''t reading it from my point of view, but they are.

[/quote]

I have an old one of these (it''s kevlar)  and a matching helmet - in case someone goes for a head-shot....I''ll let you have them both for a large fee....(I think you''ll need them for future blogs). Sorry, they don''t do Arsenal colours - just disruptive pattern and black.....

I''ll throw in one of these as well.... In case the ''bull*hit and at the next SCG meeting when the CE speaks - gets a little overpowering....

See, I care![8-|]

I think Scott has missed his own point.  Football fans are indeed from a wide cross section of society and so different writing styles appeal to different people.  Wouldn''t it be a boring world if we all thought the same and wrote in the same way.  Whilst I and others enjoyed LQ''s article - some didn''t.  But does that mean she should change the way she writes - I don''t think so.  I enjoy the variety of the Pink Un articles and LQ adds to that variety.  What Scott describes as ''pomposity'' in LQ''s writing style, I would describe as ''considered''.  Who''s right - well both of us - because they are just opinions. 

What I think is brilliant (and entertaining) is that this has generated such a lot of debate.  And for that reason alone, don''t listen to the MonkeyTrousers/Scottlarock school of literary criticism, LQ - carry on regardless.