Sign in to follow this  
Philipo87

Norwich Fans Get Everywhere!

There are so many of us, even Ian Beale from Eastenders supports Norwich, he was at Carrow Road on Saturday (left)

[IMG]http://www.canaries.co.uk/javaImages/87/2a/0,,10355~5515911,00.jpg[/IMG]

I''ve met Norwich fans in a motorway service station in Central France, in Hong Kong, in the UAE and in Pakistan.   Indeed there was a supporters club in Pakistan while I was there - must have been 6 or 7 of us in total!!

I remember several years back flicking through a holiday brochure.  Can''t remember which country, but there was a photo of a young lad taken from a rear view slightly to one side.  He was wearing a Norwich shirt with Eadie on the back.

I was in Thailand a couple of years doing a spot of scuba diving, the boat hand was wearing a pair of Norwich shorts, that made me chuckle.

And on Boxing day last year, I went sale shopping in Ipswich whilst visiting relatives and I decided to wear my NCFC scarf, for some reason, people were swearing and abusing me aswell as getting loads of dirty looks. I suppose that it is a blessing that I am 6 4 tall and wide, so people didn''t come up to me and hit me.

I have met City fans practically everywhere I have been, but the most bizarre had to be in 2005 on a trip to Las Vegas, where on going down to the pool area at the back of the hotel we met a guy working there who spotted our city colours.

Turned out his family had moved over from Norwich and he had uncles and other relatives back here who even sent him the Pink Un every week! He was so delighted to meet people who went to games and was raving about Hucks. He had only seen a handful of games himself, but supported us through his family links.

I have noticed that pretty much wherever you go in the world you will undobtedly see a Roys of Wroxham carrier bag, however I don''t recall seeing too many Norwich fans on my travels, though there are quite a few up here in Sheffield and on my first day at work here I was sat right next to a binner!

[quote user="Philipo87"]

I ran the Bath Half Marathon yesterday in my Norwich home kit and the amount of people who:  

1.    Come up to me before the start saying that we got a good result on Sat and how they think we have a decent chance of staying up now

and

2.    Were shouting come on Norwich and cheering when they saw my shirt as I ran past them (they were in the crowd).

was unbelievable.

After the race I was sitting on the steps at my hostel listening to my music when a guy walked down the steps asking if I was a Norwich fan as he had a Norwich hat on!!  And, by the way, this hostel was a good 20 min walk from the centre of Bath where everyone was and he was the only bloke I saw near my hostel after the race aprt from my mates who I ran with.

Very small world.

[/quote]

I have just been emailed some photos of me during the race if any of you were interested. Click on the following link   and then search ''Philip Squire''.

http://www.runninghigh.co.uk/site.aspx?i=ph0

You should see a nice Norwich shirt in all of the pictures if it has worked!

Congratulations Philip. I''m thinking of printing out your cirtificate just because I can [:P].On a serious note, I''ve also noticed you nearly always bump into Ipswich fans out and about too. Once had a good battle round a round-about where a car pulled up in the lane beside us decked out in loads of Ipswich merch, and our car filled with Norwich merch.There was a great deal or mouthing and finger signals to say the least. Good fun!May I just say the car then proceeded to cut us up at the second exit, so we promptly overtook it and then slew it down in the slow lane - just purely out of the satisfaction of revenge.Good times. [:)]

We arrived at our hotel in china a few years ago and a young lad was taken our bags to our room and he was asking where we were from etc and when we told him Norwich he got very excited and kept telling us he was a canary. The next day he came and found us and showed us a Norwich shirt a previous guest had left him.

I also drove past a bloke in a Norwich jacket at Sheffield station yesterday, not quite as exciting, but if that was you, well done sir!

OTBC

[quote user="Plastic Scouser"]I''ve met Norwich fans in a motorway service station in Central France, in Hong Kong, in the UAE and in Pakistan.   Indeed there was a supporters club in Pakistan while I was there - must have been 6 or 7 of us in total!!
[/quote]

I''ve met plenty of NCFC fans at the UEA too!! Oh, hang on.

Nice to speak to you again Philipo87. I was the grey haired bloke in the Carn Runners top who spoke to you on Sunday on Bath Rec. Hope you had a great race.[:D]

[quote user="jonny76"]can beat all of those i once met a man utd fan that came from manchester!![/quote]

You meen you were on the beer in Nags Head/Swan!! and you met spurs, liverpool, Manure,Arsenals fans

[quote user="No Quarter"]I met an Ipsh*t fan in Cairo museum, Eygpt........pissed me right off that did.  And he called me a scummer![/quote]Was he all wrapped up in bandages with a brown wrinkled look!!!?

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Ive got a few Hungarians following NCFC now due to my business dealings over there. I send and take scarfs and stuff over there, I think a few look at this site aswell.[/quote]

LOL! I thought I was the only Hungarian mad enough to support NCFC. (I have a good excuse though: I met my wife, a Norfolk gal, while studying at the UEA). Actually, one of our sports channels shows live Championship games as well as weekly highlights. Signing somebody Hungarian (Tisza? Köteles?) would probably increase coverage and would earn a few more fans over here... 

[quote user="Budapest Canary"]

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Ive got a few Hungarians following NCFC now due to my business dealings over there. I send and take scarfs and stuff over there, I think a few look at this site aswell.[/quote]

LOL! I thought I was the only Hungarian mad enough to support NCFC. (I have a good excuse though: I met my wife, a Norfolk gal, while studying at the UEA). Actually, one of our sports channels shows live Championship games as well as weekly highlights. Signing somebody Hungarian (Tisza? Köteles?) would probably increase coverage and would earn a few more fans over here... 

[/quote]

it was my Hungarian firends that said Norwich were looking at Tibor Tisza. How strange is that?

Im living in willesden green, north west london, and i see norwich fans and little sneaky canaries scarfs fairly regularly..i have even seen and exchanged smiles

with another gent also in yellow and green outside our flat nex to sainsburys....BUT.... to  my horror a few days ago me and my girlfriend encountered a chavved up ford focus

with a scummer binman outfit on the parcel shelf, the obligatary ipswich player pi**ing on a norwich shirt sticker and even an ipswich town number plate.

Of course i was outraged, and even said "right lets go and see if we can spot the berk.." only to discover he was a massive 6''5" muscular darrent bent looking guy but on drugs,..we just walked on by... :)

i always get to the capital canaries meetings when on tv in london, always good to see a massive turn out and particularly remember my girlfriend being scared s**tless by the volume level of ''on the ball city'' when we scored the winner against notts forest earlier in the season :)))))

another canary in sheffield here, there does seem to be a surprising lot in sheffield, but the wierdest place meeting a Norwich fan was on holiday in Cyprus, when the local taxi driver noticed my yellow and green shorts and starting shouting ''arghh the canaries'' lol slightly surreal

I''m off to work in Japan next month where i intend to make it my mission to convert as many japanese football fans in to Norwich supporters as I can

Ten of us in retro Norwich City shirts at the Kensington Oval in Barbados a couple of weeks ago. Tap on the shoulder... "Excuse me mate, mind if I take a picture of you all, my Dad''s a season ticket holder at Carrow Road."

[quote user="Jimbo_Jet_Set"]I''m off to work in Japan next month where i intend to make it my mission to convert as many japanese football fans in to Norwich supporters as I can[/quote]

Unfortunately a lot will already be Man U fans.  :-(

I got a info pack from bedford uni today on the middle page lots of pictures of students and theres a picture of a guy in a city shirt. Was very supprised might expect in a uea booklet but not for bedford uni

I have just got back from a business trip to Brazil.

I cannot tell you how many yellow and green shirts I saw there.

Really weird.

OTBC,

yeh i remember when my mum ran the london marathon a few years ago and i was wearing my norwich shirt while watching. I got loades of people signing kicking off to me and saying good on me for wearing it.

Also remember in egypt last year there were a few city fans in the same hotel

[quote user="Gentleman Jim"]

My wife and I were trying to buy a coffee in a little cafe in a small German village whilst on holiday in the Rhine Valley, the very friendly proprieter asked :-

"you Inglsh yah ?" : we nodded and smiled in agreement. He pondered for more English words to say,

"Ah ! Manchester United  ? " : Hmmm, our expressions and shaking heads answered that for him , then astoundingly he came out with,

" Norwich City Canaries ? ? " I was absolutely taken aback and gave him a big smile and nodded vigourously, delighted with his breakthrough in Anglo/Germanic relationship he scuttled away chortling with glee. I couldn''t get any more English out of him and to this day don''t know why  half his total English vocabulary consisted of our club''s name.

[/quote]

was it after our european run? if so thats probably why.. Bayern arent the most liked club in Germany, so he was probably pleased we got one over them (along with a few million other German footy fans) and hence mentioned us to you.

jas :)

i remember staying in a travel lodge a few years ago before cardiff away and when i looked at the mirror what did i see.................................

..................... me, a city fanodd old world ain''t it