Sign in to follow this  
Philipo87

Norwich Fans Get Everywhere!

I ran the Bath Half Marathon yesterday in my Norwich home kit and the amount of people who:  

1.    Come up to me before the start saying that we got a good result on Sat and how they think we have a decent chance of staying up now

and

2.    Were shouting come on Norwich and cheering when they saw my shirt as I ran past them (they were in the crowd).

was unbelievable.

After the race I was sitting on the steps at my hostel listening to my music when a guy walked down the steps asking if I was a Norwich fan as he had a Norwich hat on!!  And, by the way, this hostel was a good 20 min walk from the centre of Bath where everyone was and he was the only bloke I saw near my hostel after the race aprt from my mates who I ran with.

Very small world.

Ive got a few Hungarians following NCFC now due to my business dealings over there. I send and take scarfs and stuff over there, I think a few look at this site aswell.

[quote user="No Quarter"]I met an Ipsh*t fan in Cairo museum, Eygpt........pissed me right off that did.  And he called me a scummer![/quote]

You should have seen if you could push one of those heavy statues on to him. Or tried to force his head into Tutankhamun''s Death Mask.

I met a Norwich City fan at Carrow Road on saturday!Seriously though- yea i meet em everywhere as well.Met a family of them in spain about 2 years back, there are loads at my 6th form, went to alton towers last summer (met a load there), and I always meet some when I go on college trips (members of the public).Makes you feel proud to be a member of such a massive army [:)]

[quote user="Fox in the Box"]we met norwich fans in malta in a castle in the middle of no where[/quote]when abouts was this? I also went to malta and strangely enough met Norwich fans there, i believe i''ve converted a few Maltese to NCFC along the way!!

can beat all of those i once met a man utd fan that came from manchester!!

i met one onboard the HMS Victory in Portsmouth! he was relieved he wasn''t the only Norwich fan holidaying in the area... lol!

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

i met one onboard the HMS Victory in Portsmouth! he was relieved he wasn''t the only Norwich fan holidaying in the area... lol!

jas :)

[/quote]Is ''Holidaying'' the same verb for ''escaping'' or ''hiding''? [:P]

Don''t tell Delia, but we are actually a very well supported club - certainly in the top 15/20 in England.

Research once claimed we were in the top ten; but I wouldn''t go that far.

We bumped into two fans half-way up Ben Nevis last year. We are everywhere!The following article is a bit dated now but is still worth a read:Why Norwich City are still popular

LEWIS HANNAM

15 May 2006 11:16

While Norwich City''s on the field performances left a lot to be desired last

season, (and this my friend!!!) it appears the club''s popularity remains undiminished.

A new survey has ranked the club in the top 15 most popular football teams in Britain.

The data, from market research firm Roy Morgan International, says the Canaries

have more than 450,000 supporters in the UK - nearly four times the city''s

population.

Roy Blower, chairman of the Norwich City Independent Supporters'' Association,

said: “Just as Ipswich benefited from their success in the 1970s and early

1980s; I think lots of people honed in on Norwich

in the early 1990s.

“Certainly, wherever I go in the UK,

or abroad, I always run in to other Norwich

fans.”

Norwich is ranked as the 15th most popular club

in the UK,

with 458,000 fans, well ahead of many Premiership teams.

Manchester United were top of the pile with a whopping 4,209,000 supporters.

Mr Blower said: “There is a great affinity for Norwich, and I think a lot of people

recognise that it is a family club with a good reputation.”

The Canaries were relegated from the Premiership in the 2004/5 season, and

despite being viewed as promotion favourites for the Championship season, they

finished a miserable ninth.

Mr Blower added: “When you think that we have a catchment area of about 800,000

people, with no football team for 45 miles in one direction and for 80 miles in

the other, we should be looking to scale the heights.

“There''s no reason why this club shouldn''t be successful.”

The survey results and estimates were drawn from more than 5,200 respondents,

all aged over 14 and living in the UK.

The results left Norwich

as the second most popular club outside the top flight, with Leeds United

deemed to have 983,000 fans. The Canaries bitter rivals Ipswich Town

did not feature in the top 20 list.

Most popular clubs:

Manchester United 4,209,000

Liverpool 3,133,000

Arsenal 2,652,000

Chelsea 1,485,000

Rangers 1,430,000

Celtic 1,406,000

Tottenham 1,240,000

Newcastle 1,159,000

Leeds United 938,000

Manchester City 886,000

Aston Villa 700,000

West Ham 691,000

Everton 628,000

Leicester City 553,000

Norwich City 458,000

Middlesbrough 452,000

Southampton 429,000

Hearts 398,000

Wolverhampton Wanderers 384,000

Sheffield Wednesday 371,000

Malta seems to be a hotbed, but it''s no surprise as you canfly there from Norwich! While I was there a Maltese taxi driver pulled up next to me in my colours and started singing on the ball city at me!! I couldn''t believe it. He said he got to Carrow rd twice a season and was going the next week! He offered to buy my shirt for 100 Maltese lira, which was about 120 quid. I turned him down though. Apart from that I see them everywhere. On my way through sharm el sheikh airport, a whole family of them walked past, at the pyramids, in Turin, in Amsterdam, tenerife, hamburg. We really are everywhere! Y''army!!!

http://www.xperteleven.com/xpertleague.aspx?Lid=143828

In the Norwich City mad League, we have Managers from all over the U.K. including 1 who lives in Binnerland, (don''t tell ''em your name mr Bailey) but has the good sense to support Norwich, also from all over the world, including Argentina, Cyprus, Egypt, India, Ireland, Portugal, Scotland, Turkey, U.S.A. etc. Some of the overseas Members had never even heard of Norwich City before they joined the League, but they certainly know about us now, and look for Citys results now.

Reading is full of Norwich fans, the other day I was waiting at a bus stop in the town centre and a bloke in the black away shirt walked past handing out flyers, also met one of my (now) best mates at Henley College when I was randomly sat next to him in the computer room and he logged onto the Norwich website. Also put in a Norwich shirt when I go abroad and usually meet at least 1 fellow canary.

As far as binners are concerned I ran the Norwich Half Marathon in December and a bloke who was decked out in Ipswich gear started talking to me, a few weeks ago I did the Bramley 20 and whilst lining up at the start I got tapped on the shoulder by the same bloke from the Norwich Half!!! Unfortunately he beat me in the Bramley 20 but I beat him at the Norwich Half so the score is currently Norwich 1 Ipswich 1!!!!

My wife and I were trying to buy a coffee in a little cafe in a small German village whilst on holiday in the Rhine Valley, the very friendly proprieter asked :-

"you Inglsh yah ?" : we nodded and smiled in agreement. He pondered for more English words to say,

"Ah ! Manchester United  ? " : Hmmm, our expressions and shaking heads answered that for him , then astoundingly he came out with,

" Norwich City Canaries ? ? " I was absolutely taken aback and gave him a big smile and nodded vigourously, delighted with his breakthrough in Anglo/Germanic relationship he scuttled away chortling with glee. I couldn''t get any more English out of him and to this day don''t know why  half his total English vocabulary consisted of our club''s name.

Your list of statistics is very interesting, Mutley. I was surprised and disappointed to see that loathsome club Leicester City have more fans than us, allegedly. Of course, the vast majority of the so-called fans of Manure, Arsenil, Chelski and other big clubs have never strayed beyond the comfort of their armchairs or the pub to watch their "beloved" boys in action.

Most popular clubs:

Manchester United 4,209,000

Liverpool 3,133,000

Arsenal 2,652,000

Chelsea 1,485,000

Rangers 1,430,000

Celtic 1,406,000

Tottenham 1,240,000

Newcastle 1,159,000

Leeds United 938,000

Manchester City 886,000

Aston Villa 700,000

West Ham 691,000

Everton 628,000

Leicester City 553,000

Norwich City 458,000

Middlesbrough 452,000

Southampton 429,000

Hearts 398,000

Wolverhampton Wanderers 384,000

Sheffield Wednesday 371,000

So we''re the 13th best supported English team, very impressive. Seems strange that Leicester rank so highly though. 

"The results left Norwich as the second most popular club outside the top flight"

but both Leeds AND Leicester were above Norwich, so we''re third. Still, I''m in Graz, Austria and have every intention of wearing my NCFC shirt the next time I''m up the Schloßberg!!