Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Your support will be very much appreciated

Pete, I''m sure you don''t need telling this, but picking an absurdly high number of redundancies and then putting on a show of "reasonableness" by cutting it to the level you''d privately had in mind is one of the oldest tricks in the management book. There is even the variant of cutting it again - as a final gesture of "reasonableness" - to the figure that really is the one you''d wanted all along.So, good luck with the continuing fight against these cuts. They are still absurdly out of proportion and short-termist.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Pete, I''m sure you don''t need telling this, but picking an absurdly high number of redundancies and then putting on a show of "reasonableness" by cutting it to the level you''d privately had in mind is one of the oldest tricks in the management book. There is even the variant of cutting it again - as a final gesture of "reasonableness" - to the figure that really is the one you''d wanted all along.

So, good luck with the continuing fight against these cuts. They are still absurdly out of proportion and short-termist.

[/quote]

I agree Purple,

In my experience the figures will be brought down to a divisive level,  that is to a level where your solidarity is weakened to about half the membership who think it''s an OK figure whilst the others are still opposed. It''s called divide and defeat, a long and often used management ploy.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

[quote user="Andy Larkin"]Is Mr Frantzen losing his job then?

Its about time we reversed the share-holder culture in this country.

Share-holders should only be paid dividends as a result of final profits, when staff have to lose their jobs in order for dividends to be maintained, there is something very badly wrong with the world.

Come the day of the revolution brothers… up against the wall with the bloody lot of them!

Signed!!!!!!
[/quote]

Franzen is an idiot .

[/quote]

YEP!!!!!!!!

Looks like Ipswich all over again to me - reduce the numbers you first thought of and come back later for the second tranche in a few months time.

My gf works in EDP editoral and I''m fully behind your campaign. An alternative suggestion... how about all 174 of you walk out and setup your own online newspaper... make all the lovely money for yourselves!!!solidarity brother!

Save Your News - Day of Action

Journalists from Archant Norfolk are to hold a day of action in protest at plans to make a proposed 34 editorial staff redundant.

The NUJ Archant Norfolk committee is organising the protest outside the Forum in Norwich between 11am and 2pm on Saturday March 21.

The protest comes in the wake of swingeing proposals to get rid of 54 editorial staff across publications including the Eastern Daily Press, the Norwich Evening News, weekly titles and magazines, announced earlier this month.

That sparked a fightback from the union including a Facebook campaign and 10 Downing Street petition which generated massive support from across the community and forced the firm to reduce the planned cuts this week to 34.

But the NUJ believes the entire process could be illegal and is urging the firm to think again.

Pete Kelley, father of chapel at NUJ Archant Norfolk said: "We owe this climbdown from 54 jobs to a massive campaign of support from the community. We''ve had letters of support ranging from individual readers to MPs… all telling this company loud and clear that good local newspapers are an important part of community life, and a vital part of our democracy. Who else will tell you what your local council is doing? Who else will report on local sport, education issues, health and support local business?

"We thought we''d have a job on our hands to explain to the public what they could be losing… but they''ve proven to us that they understand very well, and they are firmly on our side.

"The proposed loss of 34 is still a massive cut in editorial staff. Taking out the news reporters, who''ve been told their jobs are safe, it represents around 25pc of the remaining editorial strength. We know, of course, that there is a recession on. Lots of people are suffering. But this cut is completely disproportionate in an industry which has seen an average cut in editorial strength closer to 10pc or 12pc over the last year (with, in the latest figure I''ve seen, 15.6pc editorial cuts over the last year reported last week by Johnston Press). The facts are on our side. The facts are clear.

"In addition, we are arguing that the process is unfair, and possibly illegal. All the available jobs should have been thrown open for everyone to apply for. Even the news reporters - who are safe - agree with us on that, to their credit."

Journalists will be leafleting outside the Forum between 11am and 2pm

Speeches and messages of support are planned between 1pm and 1.30pm

Strike! strike! strike! strike!

no papers for 3 or 4 days and a picket line outside archant towers would make the bigwigs look stupid!

jas :)

Good for you lot, hope you get lots of support, have been spreading the word up and down the Country to whoever would listen, and quite often to those who don''t listen lol.

Best wishes to all of you for a better outcome.

''''Power To The People''''  [:D]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

no papers for 3 or 4 days and a picket line outside archant towers would make the bigwigs look stupid!

[/quote]

But the newspaper would still come out.

The only people who ever stopped newspapers from appearing on the streets were printers/linotype operators/distribution staff.  And that is an age away.

Journalists have never had any newspaper stoppage power in the 52 years I have been in this business.  Yes, they can make it difficult but the people who COULD stop it are long, long gone.

In days before Pete was born he would either have been a member of SOGAT or SLADE or he wouldn''t have got the job.  Conditional upon it.

Not an option. An obligation.  One out, all out.

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

The only people who ever stopped newspapers from appearing on the streets were printers/linotype operators/distribution staff.  And that is an age away.

Journalists have never had any newspaper stoppage power in the 52 years I have been in this business.  Yes, they can make it difficult but the people who COULD stop it are long, long gone.

In days before Pete was born he would either have been a member of SOGAT or SLADE or he wouldn''t have got the job.  Conditional upon it.

[/quote]

I was MOC of SOGAT (Society Of Graphical And Allied Trades) for the printworks where I used to work, good old Brenda Dean lol.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I was MOC of SOGAT (Society Of Graphical And Allied Trades) for the printworks where I used to work, good old Brenda Dean lol.

[/quote]

Nice intelligent lady that Brenda..............

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nice intelligent lady that Brenda..............

[/quote]

Some thought she was a bit staunch, but you knew where you stood with her.  Met her numerous times and always found her nice enough.

have signed. Good luck with the fight. I think we''re really lucky to have a decent daily morning newspaper and and evening paper for the city, and we should fight hard to keep it.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

And piss me off over brekkie and make me buy the Sun instead![:@]