Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

ITV4 just now - Norwich vs. Leeds 1979

Just flicking through the channels  & caught this.Ab-so-bloody-lutely hilarious.Both sides ABSOLUTE CARP by today''s standards. Half speed. Acres of space all over the pitch. Comedy defending that makes Ginger Pele really look like Pele.Few highlights: Fashanu skying the ball from 1 (yes 1) yard out, centre goal with goalie beaten.Clever backheel by Hird (I think) straight to Fashanu, to Kevin Bond for Norwich 1st (well taken, but in acres of space).Martin Peters with a dreadful backpass to gift Leeds their 2nd goal.I think we lose sight of how much football has imroved in the intervening 30 years.Mind you, the shorts couldn''t have helped. Running at any more than a trot would have meant putting the entire testicular region in peril.

Not from what I''ve just seen. Roughly the same level, if not slightly worse. Certainly nowhere near Premiership standard.

[quote user="ron obvious"]Not from what I''ve just seen. Roughly the same level, if not slightly worse. Certainly nowhere near Premiership standard.[/quote]imo ro - its fair to say the champs is probably close to the standard of the old first division...the prem is mostly stuffed full of internationals from the footy world over...but in relative terms - that old naarwich side of 79 is a country mile better than this seasons turn-out...

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]i''d like to see the modern day players on those pitches with those balls[/quote]Agree about that! I''ve still got the imprint of a set of laces on my forehesd from when I once tried to head the ball. 1964 I think it was. (It was those balls you were thinking of I take it? Still can''t get over those dangerous shorts. Ouch!!)

[quote user="ron obvious"]
Just flicking through the channels  & caught this.

Ab-so-bloody-lutely hilarious.
Both sides ABSOLUTE CARP by today''s standards. Half speed. Acres of space all over the pitch. Comedy defending that makes Ginger Pele really look like Pele.
Few highlights: Fashanu skying the ball from 1 (yes 1) yard out, centre goal with goalie beaten.
Clever backheel by Hird (I think) straight to Fashanu, to Kevin Bond for Norwich 1st (well taken, but in acres of space).
Martin Peters with a dreadful backpass to gift Leeds their 2nd goal.

I think we lose sight of how much football has imroved in the intervening 30 years.

Mind you, the shorts couldn''t have helped. Running at any more than a trot would have meant putting the entire testicular region in peril.

[/quote] Was at the game..wasnt that bad, believe me..cant recall a Hird playing for City

[quote user="jim blair"]

Was at the game..wasnt that bad, believe me..cant recall a Hird playing for City[/quote]Kevin Hird was the Leeds defender. I was being ironic - Leeds were as bad as Norwich. The goal at QPR looked world class compared to what was going on in this match. I''m not saying NCFC aren''t performing RELATIVELY badly NOW, just that we forget just how much slower & less skillful it was then. I remember catching a bit of an Arsenal game of similar vintage; the ball spent most of the time being mishit out of play. Better pitches & lighter balls have helped, but I think a lot of improvement is down to that demmed Jonny Foreigner chappy.But then, nostalgia isn''t what it used to be ......

Watching the Chelsea Liverpool game earlier and thought exactly the same thing.

Fitness, pace and quality has all improved but at the time we all enjoyed the matches and in particular those wonderful tackles and punch ups refereed by the referee Lol