Sign in to follow this  
Hardhouse44

Why so many have renewed. A theory.

Yet again the fans of Norwich City FC have proven what true support is all about. The figure released at the beginning of the week (17000) was truly something that all Canary fans, season ticket holders or not should be very proud of.Why have so many renewed if the face of such possible bad times for the club. Well I can only guess. Remember that most renewed before the crucial win on Tuesday and only a fool would think that survival is more likely than not even in the wake of that great win.I myself have been more than critical of the club, the players and the board. As have most. But this is still my club. This is still my love. I love football and I only have eyes for Norwich City. Every other football team and sports team come second even England. First and for mostly I am Norwich City. I think that in these times of economic uncertainty which has affected all but the most comfortable of us. (I know it has me) It is something that we can still afford to enjoy, sometimes only just. But it is the feelings and emotions that supporting your club through the rough and the smooth that appeals to us fans now more than ever. And some if not many are willing to sacrifice other treats such as holidays to be able to afford this years tickets. So that they can feel part of the unexplainable feeling that it is to support "Your Team". And if any thing people need to feel that more in theses times than ever.Others will call us sheep. fools and stupid. They will tell us that by attending we do more harm than good. Could it be because it doesn''t effect them really. Most don''t attend and many in my view were only looking for a reason not to. To them I can only say your easy answers don''t stack up to me. Don''t attend next year and we''ll see the back of Smith and Jones. Maybe but maybe not. The same problems will remain. With nobody to buy the club we actually need then to survive. Do I like what has happened? No. Do I see an alternative. No? Do I think hard time are ahead? Yes. Do I think we can rise again? I hope so. Will I be there to see if will happen. You bet I will. OTBC

And if next week sees a statement from the club, thanking the fans for their loyalty and their money and using those ST sales to show that the majority of fans are happy with the board''s record at the club and that no changes are needed?Because that is how THEY are looking at it.

[quote user="Canary Wundaboy"]And if next week sees a statement from the club, thanking the fans for their loyalty and their money and using those ST sales to show that the majority of fans are happy with the board''s record at the club and that no changes are needed?Because that is how THEY are looking at it.

[/quote]What could you, I, Wiz or anybody else do or have done about it. At least I get to have a beer with my mate watch a bit of football. Moan when we lose and cheer when we win. It''s not something we can change. There is no knight in shining armour waiting to ride in and save the day. Understand that now or later the choice is yours. Out come will always be the same regardless.

Also, having watched some 1979 style football (see my ITV4 thread), it occurs to me that although the success may be lacking the actual quality of the games on offer is comparable to those golden olden days. Just my opinion.

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]Yet again the fans of Norwich City FC have proven what true support is all about. The figure released at the beginning of the week (17000) was truly something that all Canary fans, season ticket holders or not should be very proud of.

Why have so many renewed if the face of such possible bad times for the club. Well I can only guess. Remember that most renewed before the crucial win on Tuesday and only a fool would think that survival is more likely than not even in the wake of that great win.

I myself have been more than critical of the club, the players and the board. As have most. But this is still my club. This is still my love. I love football and I only have eyes for Norwich City. Every other football team and sports team come second even England. First and for mostly I am Norwich City.

I think that in these times of economic uncertainty which has affected all but the most comfortable of us. (I know it has me) It is something that we can still afford to enjoy, sometimes only just. But it is the feelings and emotions that supporting your club through the rough and the smooth that appeals to us fans now more than ever. And some if not many are willing to sacrifice other treats such as holidays to be able to afford this years tickets. So that they can feel part of the unexplainable feeling that it is to support "Your Team". And if any thing people need to feel that more in theses times than ever.

Others will call us sheep. fools and stupid. They will tell us that by attending we do more harm than good. Could it be because it doesn''t effect them really. Most don''t attend and many in my view were only looking for a reason not to. To them I can only say your easy answers don''t stack up to me. Don''t attend next year and we''ll see the back of Smith and Jones. Maybe but maybe not. The same problems will remain. With nobody to buy the club we actually need then to survive.

Do I like what has happened? No. Do I see an alternative. No? Do I think hard time are ahead? Yes. Do I think we can rise again? I hope so. Will I be there to see if will happen. You bet I will.

OTBC
[/quote]

you obviously know you will get  slaughtered by the resident sneerers for that post and yet you went ahead with it anyway ..sir i salute you [:D]

[quote user="ron obvious"]Also, having watched some 1979 style football (see my ITV4 thread), it occurs to me that although the success may be lacking the actual quality of the games on offer is comparable to those golden olden days. Just my opinion.[/quote]

You really had to have been there.Are you seriously passing judgement on the quality of football being played in the Seventies on a single fixture? Yes, football is more about athleticism these days, but the whole feel, comittment and sheer love for the game from players is shot to f*ck. And that athleticism mostly blinkers players reading of the game. Jimmy Neighbour hurtling down the wing with countless results or Croft''s rare couple of crosses per game anybody?Paddon''s thunderous goals from direct freekicks or.......who takes are set-pieces these days and how many times have we scored from a direct freekick? Or fuc*ing indirect for that matter!

You talk a ripe ol'' heap of boll*cks, Ron Obvious.

[quote user="shyster"][quote user="ron obvious"]Also, having watched some 1979 style football (see my ITV4 thread), it occurs to me that although the success may be lacking the actual quality of the games on offer is comparable to those golden olden days. Just my opinion.[/quote]

You really had to have been there.Are you seriously passing judgement on the quality of football being played in the Seventies on a single fixture? Yes, football is more about athleticism these days, but the whole feel, comittment and sheer love for the game from players is shot to f*ck. And that athleticism mostly blinkers players reading of the game. Jimmy Neighbour hurtling down the wing with countless results or Croft''s rare couple of crosses per game anybody?Paddon''s thunderous goals from direct freekicks or.......who takes are set-pieces these days and how many times have we scored from a direct freekick? Or fuc*ing indirect for that matter!

You talk a ripe ol'' heap of boll*cks, Ron Obvious. [/quote]

I remember back in the 1990''s, UK Gold broadcast some old match of the day highlights from the 70''s and early 80''s (a few years before I started going,) and it once featured an away game of ours at Middlesbrough. We lost 6-0 so I''m not so sure of our quality from that time.Also, didn''t we set a record for the number of games without an away win around 1978/79? Something like 42 was it?

Actually they are not Canary Wunaboy. Did you attend the NCISA meeting last night? If not, then I can relate that Mr Munby said the board are NOT talking the fact that we all renewed as evidence that we are happy with their running of the club. Far from it. I speak as someone who is certainly no fan of the board, but the impression I got last night (and witnessed first hand) was that Doncaster and Munby are not using those numbers of 17,000 renewals as justification for their policies or actions in the past. They also remarked that changes needed to be made. What they are and when they might happen, is anyone''s guess though.

There''s also only one other option if you''re not going to follow Norwich and that is to become a Binner and that would never do. If, for example, you were unfortunate enough to support Coventry and then suddenly saw sense, you could decided not to renew and have the choice of Leicester, Villa, W Brom, Birmingham, Wolves, Wallsall(?) and even Derby. All with 1 hour''s drive. I guess part of it may be having a captive audience. Just wait untill King''s Lynn get promoted a few times!!

[quote user="Paperclip"][quote user="shyster"][quote user="ron obvious"]
Also, having watched some 1979 style football (see my ITV4 thread), it occurs to me that although the success may be lacking the actual quality of the games on offer is comparable to those golden olden days. Just my opinion.
[/quote]

You really had to have been there.

Are you seriously passing judgement on the quality of football being played in the Seventies on a single fixture? Yes, football is more about athleticism these days, but the whole feel, comittment and sheer love for the game from players is shot to f*ck. And that athleticism mostly blinkers players reading of the game.

Jimmy Neighbour hurtling down the wing with countless results or Croft''s rare couple of crosses per game anybody?

Paddon''s thunderous goals from direct freekicks or.......who takes are set-pieces these days and how many times have we scored from a direct freekick? Or fuc*ing indirect for that matter!

You talk a ripe ol'' heap of boll*cks, Ron Obvious.
[/quote]

I remember back in the 1990''s, UK Gold broadcast some old match of the day highlights from the 70''s and early 80''s (a few years before I started going,) and it once featured an away game of ours at Middlesbrough. We lost 6-0 so I''m not so sure of our quality from that time.

Also, didn''t we set a record for the number of games without an away win around 1978/79? Something like 42 was it?
[/quote]

In that season you were the only team in all four Divisions not to win a single away game.  You were also the team with the record number of away draws (13).  You only won seven matches all season.

P42 W7 D23 L12 GF41 GA57

I think the main reason people have renewed is quite a simple one - what the hell else are you going to do in Narridge on a Saturday afternoon? 

[quote user="shyster"][quote user="ron obvious"]Also, having watched some 1979 style football (see my ITV4 thread), it occurs to me that although the success may be lacking the actual quality of the games on offer is comparable to those golden olden days. Just my opinion.[/quote]

You talk a ripe ol'' heap of boll*cks, Ron Obvious. [/quote]No, it''s not based on a single fixture.I find myself laughing out loud anytime I catch one of the league matches  from that era. Going even further back, some of the 1966 World Cup matches were equally dire.Croft''s robbing the defender, his ball to Hoolahan & the cut back to Russell to score ALL AT SPEED were as good as anything I''ve seen in those old timey matches.As Popper would have said, I think you have an essentially Historicist view of the world.And you talk a great steaming pile of equine faeces.And you''re pointlessly aggressive to boot.

Brilliant post Hardhouse! I really think you are the closest thing to the voice of reason on this board sometimes. Actually there are a lot of others but you''ve summed up how i feel exactly here. [Y]

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]Yet again the fans of Norwich City FC have proven what true support is all about. The figure released at the beginning of the week (17000) was truly something that all Canary fans, season ticket holders or not should be very proud of.

Why have so many renewed if the face of such possible bad times for the club. Well I can only guess. Remember that most renewed before the crucial win on Tuesday and only a fool would think that survival is more likely than not even in the wake of that great win.

I myself have been more than critical of the club, the players and the board. As have most. But this is still my club. This is still my love. I love football and I only have eyes for Norwich City. Every other football team and sports team come second even England. First and for mostly I am Norwich City.

I think that in these times of economic uncertainty which has affected all but the most comfortable of us. (I know it has me) It is something that we can still afford to enjoy, sometimes only just. But it is the feelings and emotions that supporting your club through the rough and the smooth that appeals to us fans now more than ever. And some if not many are willing to sacrifice other treats such as holidays to be able to afford this years tickets. So that they can feel part of the unexplainable feeling that it is to support "Your Team". And if any thing people need to feel that more in theses times than ever.

Others will call us sheep. fools and stupid. They will tell us that by attending we do more harm than good. Could it be because it doesn''t effect them really. Most don''t attend and many in my view were only looking for a reason not to. To them I can only say your easy answers don''t stack up to me. Don''t attend next year and we''ll see the back of Smith and Jones. Maybe but maybe not. The same problems will remain. With nobody to buy the club we actually need then to survive.

Do I like what has happened? No. Do I see an alternative. No? Do I think hard time are ahead? Yes. Do I think we can rise again? I hope so. Will I be there to see if will happen. You bet I will.

OTBC
[/quote]

The thing is i can''t imagine life without it.

When i moved to Braintree in 1997 i couldn''t wait for my boys to get old enough to take to matches.

I started taking them regularly the season between play-offs and promotion and ever since.

The promotion season i also started going to a lot more away matches too and although i''ve seen many highs and lows since i started going in 1972, there was nothing like the buzz of sharing the delights of the promotion season with my lads and watchinh Hucks in full flow. The trips to Walsall, Coventry, Reading et al will be forever etched in my memory.

So despite my frustration with the board, one manager out of his depth, followed by the risible Roeder, and some woeful player performances, I still get my kicks, and the the thrill of nights like Tuesday, Notts F away, Wolves home etc keep me coming back for more (in hope that the good times outweigh the bad).

My eldest son is not renewing next year. He''s 16 now, has a girlfriend, will be starting A levels, and doesn''t enjoy it enough to waste(his words) 50% of his weekend travelling up to Norwich to watch the ''occasional'' good match.

Meanwhile, my 13 year old still loves it, so we join his Grandad for the delights that Carrow Rd has to offer!

I might as well milk it while i can (i.e. while finances allow and my son still wants to go).

For me its tribal. I was born and brought up in Norwich therefore the city commands my support through thick and thin. I guess its like family loyalty.

We actually went two years without an away win in the late 70''s. We won our first away game of the season in 77/78 and didn''t win another in the league until the first away game in 79/80. We did draw 23 of those 42 away games though.

I always think it''s totally unfair to compare the standard of football and footballers over different eras. Like with all sports the game has changed beyond recognition and players, like all sportsmen, can only be as good as they are in their own time. Back in the 50''s Roger Bannister was the first man to run a sub 4 minute mile. Is he still a hero now even though his world record time wouldn''t even qualify him today? In my view he is.

I first watched football in the mid sixties and count myself lucky to have seen England win the World Cup. I got caught up watching it on TV with my grandparents and all those players became great heroes of mine. It was only later as I got older that I began to understand that we probably won the World Cup because we had three world class players in our team. Now by world class I don''t mean that phrase the way it''s given out to just about anyone who does something good on MOTD like it is now. My definition of world class is a player who would be in the best eleven in the world in his time. We had Banks, Moore and Charlton and then 8 other good players around them working their socks off for them and the team. To question the quality of those players because the game has moved on now is as ridiculous as to devalue Roger Bannisters 4 minute mile because athletes can run it 20 seconds faster now. Likewise it''s unfair to devalue our present players for not being world class because the competition all over the world is far greater now than it was 43 years ago.

Totally agree NN. I''m sure if those players were playing today they would have still been excellent players - better pitches, lighter footballs, better training, diet & fitness would all have contributed (& roomier shorts!).The ony point I was trying to make is that even though NCFC are patently unsuccessful compared to the glory days, the absolute standard of football being watched is still good. So if you want to watch a decent game of football, it ain''t so bad. But if you want glory ........

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

We actually went two years without an away win in the late 70''s. We won our first away game of the season in 77/78 and didn''t win another in the league until the first away game in 79/80. We did draw 23 of those 42 away games though.

I always think it''s totally unfair to compare the standard of football and footballers over different eras. Like with all sports the game has changed beyond recognition and players, like all sportsmen, can only be as good as they are in their own time. Back in the 50''s Roger Bannister was the first man to run a sub 4 minute mile. Is he still a hero now even though his world record time wouldn''t even qualify him today? In my view he is.

I first watched football in the mid sixties and count myself lucky to have seen England win the World Cup. I got caught up watching it on TV with my grandparents and all those players became great heroes of mine. It was only later as I got older that I began to understand that we probably won the World Cup because we had three world class players in our team. Now by world class I don''t mean that phrase the way it''s given out to just about anyone who does something good on MOTD like it is now. My definition of world class is a player who would be in the best eleven in the world in his time. We had Banks, Moore and Charlton and then 8 other good players around them working their socks off for them and the team. To question the quality of those players because the game has moved on now is as ridiculous as to devalue Roger Bannisters 4 minute mile because athletes can run it 20 seconds faster now. Likewise it''s unfair to devalue our present players for not being world class because the competition all over the world is far greater now than it was 43 years ago.

[/quote]

We must be the same generation because I too became alive to football in 1966.

On world class players, I agree your comments with one reservation based on some one far greater than either of us.  Bill Shankly said that in his entire career, he had only ever managed two player whom he considered to be truly world class.  Denis Law and Ray Wilson.

[quote user="ron obvious"]
Totally agree NN. I''m sure if those players were playing today they would have still been excellent players - better pitches, lighter footballs, better training, diet & fitness would all have contributed (& roomier shorts!).
The ony point I was trying to make is that even though NCFC are patently unsuccessful compared to the glory days, the absolute standard of football being watched is still good. So if you want to watch a decent game of football, it ain''t so bad. But if you want glory ........
[/quote]

I know we''ve gone a bit off topic here, and my memory is a bit hazy, but I can remember as a young kid watching games drift by with offside after offside, endless long balls, and umpteen backpasses (usually by Everton).  I suppose in all eras there are good and bad points, plus there will always be great players, but I think in many ways the general quality has improved.

Doesn''t make me feel any better about the current team though. [:(]

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="shyster"][quote user="ron obvious"]Also, having watched some 1979 style football (see my ITV4 thread), it occurs to me that although the success may be lacking the actual quality of the games on offer is comparable to those golden olden days. Just my opinion.[/quote]

You talk a ripe ol'' heap of boll*cks, Ron Obvious. [/quote]No, it''s not based on a single fixture.I find myself laughing out loud anytime I catch one of the league matches  from that era. Going even further back, some of the 1966 World Cup matches were equally dire.Croft''s robbing the defender, his ball to Hoolahan & the cut back to Russell to score ALL AT SPEED were as good as anything I''ve seen in those old timey matches.As Popper would have said, I think you have an essentially Historicist view of the world.And you talk a great steaming pile of equine faeces.And you''re pointlessly aggressive to boot.[/quote]

Your initial post was derisive of a fantastic era of football; an era that I and many others here were fortunate enough to have witnessed firsthand - how exactly did you expect one to react to your selfish diatribe? Do you think sh*tting on peoples fond memories warrants some kind of commendation? I think you''re terribly envious of people who witnessed that golden era of the game, and so you should be.

Good post Hardhouse, as always, the best explanation for something is usually the most simple - not some conspiracy about wanting to visit Spotland and London Road

Of course a certain percentage of the renewals will have come from those people who have bought 3 year tickets etc. How about the 15-20% cash return to the 17000 season ticket holders if we go down? who would be willing to forego that money if it was guaranteed to be ploughed into squad strengthening to get us up again at the first attempt? if all fans agreed to forego the repayment it would provide a transfer kitty of 750K-1mil.Conerning my decision to renew its pretty much the same reasoning as Chunky Canary.

[quote user="Hardhouse44"][quote user="Canary Wundaboy"]And if next week sees a statement from the club, thanking the fans for their loyalty and their money and using those ST sales to show that the majority of fans are happy with the board''s record at the club and that no changes are needed?

Because that is how THEY are looking at it.

[/quote]What could you, I, Wiz or anybody else do or have done about it. At least I get to have a beer with my mate watch a bit of football. Moan when we lose and cheer when we win.

It''s not something we can change. There is no knight in shining armour waiting to ride in and save the day. Understand that now or later the choice is yours. Out come will always be the same regardless.
[/quote]

Spot on!

While nobody sane will be happy with current postion and most realise that the board have to be held accountable and are over the hill, at the end of the day they have been trying to get out for a year or more now and no one has come forward with an acceptable deal to buy the club that would be in the clubs best interests!

I will never give the board a hard time cause they''ve put their money into keeping the club going and its not as easy a job as some on here seem to think it is and very few people have the finances to buy them out!

Chanting sack the board is ludicrous cause who is goign to sack those at the helm!