Sign in to follow this  
CambridgeCanary

We Pay For Our Tickets and Have the Right To Say What We Like!!

I posted some of this on a Fozzy thread but think it warrants a more general discussion.  The abuse of players on here is appalling and it is at the ground.  Now cheering and barracking have been with sport since gladiators in the Colisseum but why is the abuse so vicious and personal?  When challenged the response is usually something like the title that paying for a ticket buys the right to abuse players however we wish.  Is that really right?

This is unique to football and stand up comedy though.  If I get shoddy service in Tescos I don''t stand by the bacon counter singing "You''re Crap and you know You are"  or "Who are you?" to the girl trying to find my shoes in the stockroom.  I don''t racially abuse the Poles who valet my car whilst they are washing it.

No one goes to see the Berlin Symphony Orchestra chanting that Simon Rattle really lost it since he left the Birmingham Philarmonic.  Or shouting W#nker if a note is missed.

Try standing up in the theatre and shouting at David Tennant "Call your self a Hamlet you lanky Scots streak of piss.  Get back to Dr Who you talentless lump of sh#t" and see how long you keep your seat?

If the new Tom Cruise film is crap try a slow handclap and see how long before you are thrown out.

Why as paying customers of football do we buy the right to abuse those we watch?   Why do the normal rules of civilised behaviour not apply.  If someone visited you at work and started singing that you take it up the a##e you might feel a bit put out but it is normal behaviour at a football match.

Is it only me who wonders about this.  (And yes I have got a sense of humour.  Not a relevant consideration in this discussion though in my view)

I think the point is as a paying customer we have a right to state our opinion.

Also I think in football we are a small number of people compared to the other examples you state. Movies and shops are financed by millions. However, at Norwich there are the regular fans and season ticket holders and then all the money that comes in from Merchandising.

My point is football is quite different and fans are still king and the most important thing. Yes, I do agree we should be able to state our opinion and criticise players if we wish.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]Criticise yes but abuse in the foulest terms?[/quote]

A fair point, people probably take it a bit too far!

I sit in the Lower Barclay and Fozzy doesn''t get booed every time he touches the ball, but yes he is appualed or sometimes booed when subbed.

Yes. I know people don''t like him, but I don''t think there is hatred either.

I always find the opposition boo our players enough that they do not need my help.

There is a line however and personal abuse unrelated to current performance is never warranted.

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

I''ll take personal abuse for £300k - £400k per year.[/quote]I''ll give you plenty for that sort of money! [:D]

I think it can get out of hand, or too personal. A little bit of banter is to be expected, but some take it too far.

I don''t think the amount of money they make justifiable it either, it is just down to respect and common decency.

I feel more sorry for the linesmen, they get a torrent of abuse and probably get paid a meagre sum compared to the players, yet they have to put up with some vile stuff.

This debate should have no relation to monetary transactions, either as ticket payments or wages. Surely this is a moral debate and as such the money side of things is being used as an excuse for behaviour.

The situation seems to be that as a society we are increasingly intolerant of abusive, threating and foul language. Football and sport iat large remain bastions of emotional outpouring, and just because it happens, it doesn''t make it morally right.

I cannot see any argument that says it is ok to abuse and verbally assault a person for sporting mistakes, and over time it will become socially unnacceptable. For now though it happens and will continue to happen, but it is wrong.

Unlike Tescos, the shoeshop, the Berlin Philharmonic, Tom Cruise films and David Tennent in Hamlet, football generates a passionate atmosphere.  In fact, that is surely one of it''s main appeals - the fact that the crowd actually feel an involvement with what''s going on on the pitch.  Needless to say, if everyone simply sat there in silence and just applauded politely at the interval, sorry, I mean half-time, then the whole thing would become totally sterile and, frankly, unenjoyable. Problem is, if we expect passion from the crowd (and we do, don''t we?) then we have to accept that they will show both approval and disapproval. 

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

Try standing up in the theatre and shouting at David Tennant "Call your self a Hamlet you lanky Scots streak of piss.  Get back to Dr Who you talentless lump of sh#t" and see how long you keep your seat?

[/quote]

im going to the theater tonight to see "an inspector calls" i might give this a try if it really is shocking!

jas :)

[quote user="The Anonymous One"]Unlike Tescos, the shoeshop, the Berlin Philharmonic, Tom Cruise films and David Tennent in Hamlet, football generates a passionate atmosphere.  In fact, that is surely one of it''s main appeals - the fact that the crowd actually feel an involvement with what''s going on on the pitch.  Needless to say, if everyone simply sat there in silence and just applauded politely at the interval, sorry, I mean half-time, then the whole thing would become totally sterile and, frankly, unenjoyable. Problem is, if we expect passion from the crowd (and we do, don''t we?) then we have to accept that they will show both approval and disapproval. [/quote]

I get quite passionate in tescos! I often feel like abusing people, both shoppers and staff, but I normally bottle it up and keep quiet. 

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[/quote]

im going to the theater tonight to see "an inspector calls" i might give this a try if it really is shocking!

[/quote]You won''t need to Jas… its top stuff!

Tend to agree with OP here some of what I hear in the upper Barclay is way over the top for the situation. But thankfully it is coming from a minority of supporters who believe that if any player makes a single mistake he should then be called a  useless C**T whenever he goes near the ball for the remainder of the match.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Watched it in London few years back jas, enjoy the show, its brilliant

Cambridge Canary makes a good point. Moreover, it almost inevitably leads to the players playing worse, because they lose confidence. The other thing that irritates me is that the players are largely friends with the other players and I can''t believe that seeing one of their mates bullied (and that''s what it is) by the crowd makes them feel any more loyal to NCFC!

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

.  If I get shoddy service in Tescos I don''t stand by the bacon counter singing "You''re Crap and you know You are"  or "Who are you?" to the girl trying to find my shoes in the stockroom. relevant consideration in this discussion though in my view)

[/quote]

But I bet you dont sing "tescos barmy army" when you get a bargain on some food, or if some shoes fit you dont sing " shop girl give us a wave"? Different scenes altogether, you cant compare them.