Sign in to follow this  
Michael Bates

Ostemobor.. Opinions please....

From what i can see, he is absolutely shocking. The guy has no football brain whatsoever. It is so frustrating to see this absolutely lightning pace and then what he delivers to the team is abismal... They guy very rarely overlaps Croft and when he does he can pose a real threat but he simply doesn''t... His defensive awareness is something that really worries me and he is caught out of position alot. He must be one of the worst right backs in this league surely?? Such a shame because i was actually fooled into thinking that he was potentially a premiership full back when he firstly signed for us as he lightning pace and seemed to at the time know what he was doing. If anything funnily enough id shove the guy upfront with ten minutes to go if you are 1-0 down or something as he really could be a handful with his pace. But then again he would no doubt miss every chance he created himself with his lack of technical ability!! I know this sounds as if i a properly slating the guy but i just cannot understand why not Managers have picked up on this and seen that he is a massive weak link in our starting 11....

[quote user="Michael Bates"]From what i can see, he is absolutely shocking. The guy has no football brain whatsoever. It is so frustrating to see this absolutely lightning pace and then what he delivers to the team is abismal... They guy very rarely overlaps Croft and when he does he can pose a real threat but he simply doesn''t... His defensive awareness is something that really worries me and he is caught out of position alot. He must be one of the worst right backs in this league surely?? Such a shame because i was actually fooled into thinking that he was potentially a premiership full back when he firstly signed for us as he lightning pace and seemed to at the time know what he was doing. If anything funnily enough id shove the guy upfront with ten minutes to go if you are 1-0 down or something as he really could be a handful with his pace. But then again he would no doubt miss every chance he created himself with his lack of technical ability!! I know this sounds as if i a properly slating the guy but i just cannot understand why not Managers have picked up on this and seen that he is a massive weak link in our starting 11....[/quote]

Roeder clearly didnt rate him

Yet he happily played him a fair amount?? Being a weak point i would have thought that it would have been an area that he would have tried to adress with a permanent signing maybe. I know funds are low but anything of a experienced full back would be better than Jon

Jon has always baffled me, he has been a right back all his career right? Yet his defensive ability is poor, and the one strength he has is his pace, and his low crosses which can cause mayhem for defender if he overlaps frequently and knocks it into the box.

I totally agree, whenever he gets forward more often than not he is involved in a goal situation or a shot on target, DO IT MORE OFTEN PLEASE JON!

Ill probably get flamed for this but I dont think he''s as bad as he recently appears.

I think its mainly down to confidence in himself. From what I can see he''s very, very nervous to make a mistake and is doing his best to stay in the safety zone- behind the halfway line, making simple passes and really just trying to get by. Obviously this isnt the Jon we saw when he first arrived, bombing forwards, defending well and had a general better all-round game.

I think this because Ive been through the same thing, and at right back there isnt much you can do for confidence (like we hoped Cureton would get from his goals). Watch him next time we''re at Carrow when he gets the ball at right back and advancing- we all know he has the potential to outpace the players in front of him, but he will look to pass it off before even contemplating anything that risky.

Whilst I do realise that its not just his forward runs that have suffered, and that maybe it isnt just a lack of confidence that has dented his EDP ratings, I still hold that the old Otsemobor is in there somewhere and that like all players that step out in the Y+G needs to be supported fully until we''re out of this mess.

Can it also be noted that he gets quite a bit of stick when he''s having a bad game, but hasnt reacted the same as our former captain Mr Fotheringham apparently did.

he is a very strange player with his pace yes he should be overlapping croft more,he did this once last season and scored a cracking goal.i read jamie carra and he said that he is the best right back in the championship?

Great pace, no brain, headless chicken, doesn''t make the most of his attacking potential and is defensively suspect.  Surprised nobody''s tried him at right wing where he would seem better suited.And it''s Otsemobor.

He''s been reminded he''s a defender first, wing back second.Dont blindly blame players for the way they play - sometimes they''re ''doing a job'' Roeder took great exception to players not doing a very specific task, sometimes outside of their natural comfort sphere and they failed to stick to instructions and suffered the consequences (Hoolahan, Huckerby).

Bags of pace but doesn''t have a good enough brain to know how and when to use it. Not good enough.

Is a defender who is weak at that.  His strength - as others have pointed out - is his pace going forward,  however like croft he may look good but the quality of his passing / crossing is poor.

Defensively he is positionally poor and indecisive. He is weak in the air and regularly exposed to a far post cross.  He gives players too much space because he thinks his pace will enable him to prevent a dangerous situation,  but his speed of thought does not seem to be quick enough.   His committment is an odd one,  occassionally we see a firm tackle, but too frequently we see him avoiding a tackle. 

My biggest criticism of him is that while his body may be on the pitch,  his mind rarely is,  and it is that lack of ability to focus on his job for 95 mins that is so frustrating. 

Described by Stephen Hunt at Reading as the worst right back in the Championship, apparently, and I''d struggle to disagree. Electric pace but couldn''t read the game if it was written in braille.

[quote user="Beauseant"]Described by Stephen Hunt at Reading as the worst right back in the Championship, apparently, and I''d struggle to disagree. Electric pace but couldn''t read the game if it was written in braille.[/quote]

I''ve not doubt, he wouldn''t figure too high, in the best right-backs in league one either

Jon is a complete conundrum...lethargy or lack of confidence are at the forefront of the reasons why he is disappointing us at the moment...but I do feel and fear another scapegoat and hate campaign coming on...Fotheringham style. It might be helpful to focus on his strengths...as he is an awsomely fit and fast lad. Just dont know where else he''d play...or who else who would play right back.

I''ve always tried to see the best in Semmy but over recent times it has become increasingly hard to do so.

I think his confidence took a big knock under Roeder and I''m not sure if he''s recovered from that. You''d hope that someone saying the right things to Semmy would be able to get the best out of him and he could definitely become a really good player for us.

As I''ve said before when he is in the mood for it and he combines with Croft there isn''t a better right side in the league. Unfortunately too often Croft has to do most of the right sided work (defensive and attacking) by himself.

[quote user="GJP"]

I''ve always tried to see the best in Semmy but over recent times it has become increasingly hard to do so.

I think his confidence took a big knock under Roeder and I''m not sure if he''s recovered from that. You''d hope that someone saying the right things to Semmy would be able to get the best out of him and he could definitely become a really good player for us.

As I''ve said before when he is in the mood for it and he combines with Croft there isn''t a better right side in the league. Unfortunately too often Croft has to do most of the right sided work (defensive and attacking) by himself.

[/quote]Great points.  A lot of the teams that play against us get a lot of chances down that right side, and without croft it would be worse.  Semmy has got so much ability when it comes to attacking, but his defending has really taken a big knock.  He''s got so many attributes, but I think his confidence is shot!

its clear for all to see that Jon Otsemobor is a winger being played badly out of position.. he has the pace and skill to terrorize full backs all over the country but due to the form of "golden boy" Croft has been reduced to being a full back himself, he has little, if any, defensive idear at all...

I want to see him on the wing where he can run at people, use his pace and take them on, he could score a few too i reckon.... its like a dog on a leash watching him, let the lead off and away he goes.

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

its clear for all to see that Jon Otsemobor is a winger being played badly out of position.. he has the pace and skill to terrorize full backs all over the country but due to the form of "golden boy" Croft has been reduced to being a full back himself, he has little, if any, defensive idear at all...

I want to see him on the wing where he can run at people, use his pace and take them on, he could score a few too i reckon.... its like a dog on a leash watching him, let the lead off and away he goes.

[/quote] Is it? He has played as a full back all his career.

[quote user="Fabregas- Poor Mans Ian Crook"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote] Is it? He has played as a full back all his career.
[/quote]

has he? I dunno anything about his career before he arrived at us, other than he was at Crewe...

100%  useless.....crap, what else do you need to know,responsible for a lot of the goals we concede....quick yes but if that is all it takes then go and fill the defence up with guys from the local atheletics club......hopeless

[quote user="Beauseant"]Described by Stephen Hunt at Reading as the worst right back in the Championship, apparently, and I''d struggle to disagree. Electric pace but couldn''t read the game if it was written in braille.[/quote]

I''d go as far as to say, the worst right back here in living memory.

Have we got no cover at right back ?