Sign in to follow this  
Mr Carrow in the City Stand

The Pathetic Grovelling Waller Interview

It is clear from this message board that feelings are running high after the Blackburn game and rightly so. Like many others I left the ground very disappointed and almost in disbelief at the complete naivety of the tactics and substitutions. it was like men against boys as far as the two managers were concerned. Hughes is very streetwise tactically, Worthy isn''t and muddles through.

On the car radio caller after caller raised important  points about tactics and substitutions on the Neil Adams phone in. But then I could not believe what I heard when the feebleness that is Roy Waller finally got to interview Worthy.

- No questioning of the substitutions at all.

- No questioning of tactics or why we were under the cosh for the last half hour without them being changed.

- No question as to why Helveg or Mulryne didn''t figure at all in the game to maybe help us keep the ball better.

- No question as to why most of the players signed in the summer don''t now get a game.

Instead all Waller could offer was ''a bit disappointing in the second half Nigel eh ?''. ''you must have thought you''d won it ?''.  

Get a grip Waller. There were about 23000 home fans spitting blood after that game and you are supposed to ask the questions everybody else wanted answering afterwards. As it is the manager knows interviews with Radio Norfolk are a complete joke and he is never held accountable for his decisions on team selection or tactics on the field. Why not ?  If Waller can''t do it in case he upsets his pal ''Nigel''  can''t Radio Norfolk try  handing the microphone on to somebody who has got a spine. Somehow the club needs to get asked whats going on ......and fast.

[quote]It is clear from this message board that feelings are running high after the Blackburn game and rightly so. Like many others I left the ground very disappointed and almost in disbelief at the complete...[/quote]

mr carrow

i haven''t had the pleasure of listening to roy since last xmas - luckily i can attend all home games, so my need for him is less than many, but i guess the powers that be at the club don''t really care who does the interviews - be it radio, tv, press

the only local journalist that fills me with any hope (or one i have any respect for) is rick waghorn as he is not a city supporter first and foremost and secondly will tell you straight if the game is crap

we all know saturday marked a turning point - if we ever do as badly again (and again) we are down - the confidence levels must be low, we are now witnessing the team openly losing it with each other, no cohesive leadership on the pitch and according to worthy, a team that doesn''t follow his instructions (not too sure on that one though), we are hearing and seeing players saying they cannot see a win in the near future

do they really want this league next season?  if so it is back up to colney for a good long look at the whole squad (and that means all of them), some decent coaching (maybe even how to pass a ball to someone in the same colour shirt) and most of all

HOW TO PLAY YOUR ELEVEN BEST PLAYERS IN THEIR OWN POSITIONS

I don''t expect roy touched on any of that, but who can blame him, he is after all just a norwich fan, who must have been pig sick on saturday at five o''clock.  Wonder what went on in the press room at FCR though? 

I think the thing about the boy Roy is that he (and Radio Norfolk as a whole) are worried about p***ing Norwich off.  I can see why because he does see Norwich players and management every week and it could be a bit embarrassing for him if he''s just slagged off a player.  However, I don''t think this makes it right.  At the end of the day this is journalism.  It''s all about opinions

While we are talking about criticising the media, did anyone think that the MotD coverage of the Blackburn game was poor? The editing showed the referee in a decisive light and not in the one we all saw him having to get BOTH linesmen over. That had to be one of the simplest red cards to give which somebody sitting at the back of the Upper Barclay would have given without hesitation! Some of the other decisions were quite poor - missed fouls and corners - but then what can we do? Hope that Neale Barry refs a bit more often and gets in the way to gift the boys with golden opportunities!
These so-called professional referees are nowhere near as good as some of the ones we had last year.

Someone I know who sits on the front row of the City Stand actually told the lino on our side that he''d better go and speak to the ref about what he''d seen or else he would look very stupid when it was reviewed on the television later that night!!!  Unbelievable, hey?!

Susie,

Without that ''assistant referee'' Bothroyd would have stayed on the pitch as both the referee and the Jarrold Stand ''assistant referee'' were looking in the wrong direction towards us in the Barclay. So a pat on the back for your friend!

I''m glad this has been raised because I was sitting in the South Stand very near where it happened and of course saw it clearly. Unlike the referee and the linesman.

You only have to look at the incredulous reaction of Marc Edworthy when the ref initially did nothing to realise that the ref wasn''t going to send him off. In fact Steve Dunn put both his arms out to Eddie as if to say "what happened, I didn''t see anything".

I honestly think that if hadn''t been for the reaction of the crowd in the South Stand (yes I did just say that) and that of the Norwich players Bothroyd wouldn''t have gone.

As if to prove how totally useless he was Dunn then gave us a ludicrous corner near the end of the game when McVeigh fell over his own feet and kicked the ball straight out. The outraged reaction of the Blackburn defender was brilliant to see.

Perhaps McVeigh felt so guilty about this decision that he thought he should even it up by going to sleep when Blackburn got their free kick and not going anywhere near their right back who had all the time and space he could have ever need to put in his cross for the goal.

Why do so many postings get away from the original point that has been raised in the first place.  We start off with a posting about Roy Waller which by the way I believe is an excellent posting as so many times I am listening to the radio and am willing for Waller to ask certain questions only to get "played well Nigel but threw it away".  Then half way down the posts we start a completely different topic about the sending off of their player and the MOTD coverage of it.  Yes OK is has some bearing on media coverage but why can''t we stick to coverage of the original posting which sometimes ends up completely and utterly different from the original posting.

If you followed your own logic NavMan you wouldn''t have added that post at the end of this thread, but started a new one. Come on, stick to the point!  (Come to think of it, with all these draws our team has stuck pretty well to one point so far this season - Can''t Delia start doing the pools. Put us down for a draw and you''ve got a certain three points - thats points on the pools not points for winning. Oh sorry...I''m getting off the point).

[quote]Why do so many postings get away from the original point that has been raised in the first place. We start off with a posting about Roy Waller which by the way I believe is an excellent posting as so...[/quote]

blimey navman

how many conversations do you have with your mates which stick to the original subject matter for more than ten minutes?

Several different conversations at once - isn''t that like listening to Waller commentate on a game?

“For goodness sake! Oh referee! Jonsson looking for the run of Huckerby. Bakelite hatstands, wibble, wickerman, nancyboy, Tuesday.”

Courtesy of the excellent Karl Minns.

Can I say that I listened to Roys supposed commentary of the Norwich game last Saturday and he was useless

Neil ( Shoes) was superb professional and critical when needed!

Mr Waller (The Wally) went mad when Blackburn scored? I cannot believe that he did this again! His understanding of the game or should I say the little understanding he has is ridiculous.

Every week he repeats the same questions to Neil?

Why is Huckerby offside again?

Who will they sign in January?

Will Leon score?

The list is endless he is absolutely rubbish so much so that I personally sent over 400 emails to Radio Norfolk asking that they take him off air and replace him with someone who knows what they are talking about!

To date I have not received a reply I may have to send a few more emails

I agree - Sadly being exiled in South America I, and many others like me, have to put up with Roy''s efforts. He''s a nightmare to listen to as half of the time he doesn''t mention the player''s names, but says things like "... and he''s whipped the ball across the face of the goal", or "a shot''s been fired in..." etc. etc. All a bit frustrating and nervewracking if you don''t know who the hell has got the ball. As for the post-match interview, well, after having listened to Neil Adams'' intelligent and measured comments and criticism, Roy just went ahead and asked the questions a 10 year old fan would have asked - "Disappointed Nigel?" and so on.
Disappointed? yes Roy, we''re all disappointed, but in the quality of your commentating. We were all waiting for the questions we wanted to ask ourselves, and yet Roy comes up with that. You could have predicted exactly what Worthy would say. What kind of journalism is that? I should know because I''m one myself. Neil Adams - great, Roy Waller - crap.

Is anyone really suprised that Roy Waller is frightened to offend anyone at Carrow Road, after all Gary Megson refused to speak to him after he asked a stupid question. What would Radio Norfolk do if their resident ''comedian'' couldn''t interview at Carrow Road or Colney.

I personally prefer listening to a Chris Goreham commentary without the stupid quips.

I''m not certain we would get sensible answers from Worthington anyway didn''t he say Saturday that he had always admired Dickov and wasn''t Dickov available before the season began. No if the question didn''t involve the words ''work and ethic'' i''m not certain the interview would go ahead anyway.   

[quote]It is clear from this message board that feelings are running high after the Blackburn game and rightly so. Like many others I left the ground very disappointed and almost in disbelief at the complete...[/quote]

I couldnt believe Roy Wallers interview either, it made me even angrier than I was. I listened to the calls on the way home and then turned the radio on when I got in especially to hear how Worthy was going to explain those substitutions etc. Sorry Roy you''re just not up to the job, retire and let me have a go.

Yes Roy''s interview could of been more questioning towards Nigel, but what about Neil Adams too - what''s the point in having ''Canary Call'' as he always sticks up for the players, and is never criticial of them or the management. I hear many calls from frustrated fans, but he never agrees.

And just while I''m here, does it annoy anyone else how Waller gets a little too excited when the opposition score? Argh

I''ll second that - many a time wwhen I''ve been working during a game and I''ve heard a scream from the radio on the other side of the office I''ll put a goal to Norwich on the site, only to find that it''s either the opposition that have scored or Roy''s been handed another sandwich.

I remember a classic Waller incident from a few years ago when we lost 3-2 at Blackburn.  Adrian Coote was the side kick at the time and Waller was banging on about potatoes and how the half time sandwiches weren''t as good as at other grounds, you know the usual rubbish when all of sudden Adrian Coote shouts out "ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh!".  Waller turns to him "are you alright Adrian?" he asks.  Coote replies all excitedly "Darel Russell nearly scored from 30 yards Roy!".  A couple of seconds pause and then Roy continued "anyway, these sandwiches.....".

The bloke is a hopeless comentator, struts around like he''s a celebrity and yet has a job that any of us could only dream about.

[quote]Can I say that I listened to Roys supposed commentary of the Norwich game last Saturday and he was useless Neil ( Shoes) was superb professional and critical when needed! Mr Waller (The Wally) went ...[/quote]

400 emails? Do you not think thats a little...errr...obsessive?

After the 10th one they probably added your email address to the spam blocking list anyway.

[quote]400 emails? Do you not think thats a little...errr...obsessive? After the 10th one they probably added your email address to the spam blocking list anyway.[/quote]

come on herb

aren''t these the best ones to read at work anyway, like all those nigerian begging mails? 

what else do they do at radio norfolk anyway? anyone work there?  anyone listen to it apart from uncle roy?