Sign in to follow this  
pennywise

its 9-0 stop the game

[quote user="ITFC or NCFC......NCFC"]In my sons league there is a team who has lost every game this season and one team beat them 27-0 when the rubbish team only had 6 players - I am afraid that is not on.[/quote]

too bloody right thats not on! i thought the rules dictated a full team had to be played? id of just sepn the whole game telling the 6 players to camp in their own half and jusst pass it between them for the entire match and not attempt to attack at all... 0-0 draw if you keep it tight.... you''ll wear the other team out and it will be as boring as hell but it would make a point to the ref and the league.

jas :)

I can''t relate to playing schoolboy football obviously, but I did play at school and county level at hockey (specializing in tackling those from Ipswich supporting schools in red card fashion). We lost plenty of games 10-0, but we also won by the same margins as well.

My son was a very handy junior footballer (he was even watched by Ipswich Town - a fate I would never have agreed to by the way had a serious offer come about). He played in many positions, including in goal when the first choice keeper was injured, he was in goal for a 8-0 defeat and took it on the chin. Yes, he was set on by various people standing near the goal, other parents from the opposing side, plus various brothers, friends etc, but he had to block that out. His team mates and the coaches stood by him and he chalked it all up to experience.

Contrast that though when his side won a cup game in a competition and he saved two penalties to win them the match. Highs and lows of sport. He also had the pleasure of making many lifetime friends from that side he played with for over 9 years. His little collection of cups and newspaper cuttings may be stored away now, but the memories are not. He took pride in playing for a team and got a lot out of it, which I am sure has helped him in becoming a successful team player at work and with his mates. His football club was actually formed way back to keep kids off the streets and out of trouble, and do you know, it worked!

Jas - I am afraid they are really bad & a 12-2 result would probably have been a terrific result.

When my sons team played them we won 13-3 after taking 3 players off, I was so pleased when they scored there goals because they looked so happy. I was supporting them more than my sons team! :p

There best result this season has been a 4-2 defeat - I just cannot see why they want to carry on playing?!

[quote user="ITFC or NCFC......NCFC"]

There best result this season has been a 4-2 defeat - I just cannot see why they want to carry on playing?![/quote]Maybe at that age they can understand what so many adults obviously cannot?Football is a sport and it''s fun, the result is not the most important part of the game at that level.

Surley, if they do stop the game at 9-0, the aim would then be to see how quickly the winning team could get the ganme stopped. I know I would. If a previous team had the game stopped at 54 minutes, I would have been aiming for our team ti get it in less than that. It is, in short, pathetic. So, you get a 14-0 drumming. You go home, have a think about it and work out what went on. Let''s face it, if you''re sh*t, there''s little point in hiding it. It''s how we learn. No point in burying weeknesses under the carpet. Bunch of flippin'' lefties never helped anyone. Yes, I''ve been last a efw times in sports I''ve taken part in. I''ve even had to drop out once or twice (asthma or something else) but I''d gone away and thought hard about how to overcome these issues and tried again. That''s what makes people stronger. 

and to quote the Mail article:

"A women''s team I know lost 42-0 one Saturday, and within three weeks they''d disbanded. "

Well, it''s perhaps just as well. Sometimes your efforts don''t even register on the graph. Quit, try something very different.

Whilst I''m still here. Perhaps the PC would like to ban death and severe illness. I mean, how difficult is that to deal with?

I am outraged at the possibilty of ref''s stopping games. High scoring games is what youth football is all about, and a large defeat can really show you a lot about a team. It is essential character building stuff. When I was playing at u-13 level we entered the u-14 cup as there was no u-14 team at my club at the time. At that time we were just a mid table average B league side and the older team we came up against were full of county standard players (I think). We lost the game 27-0 to Dereham Town yet we wern''t to downbeat about it as we lost as a team. The next season at u-14 level we won the B league giving out drubbings to other teams, with our biggest victory beating Red Rose 15-1. After that we remained a respectable A league team untill youth football leagues ended after u-16 level. Children must learn how to lose and it''s the way we react to these things which makes a player and the person who we are.

[quote user="Aviva Lemur"]I am outraged at the possibilty of ref''s stopping games. High scoring games is what youth football is all about, and a large defeat can really show you a lot about a team. It is essential character building stuff. When I was playing at u-13 level we entered the u-14 cup as there was no u-14 team at my club at the time. At that time we were just a mid table average B league side and the older team we came up against were full of county standard players (I think). We lost the game 27-0 to Dereham Town yet we wern''t to downbeat about it as we lost as a team. The next season at u-14 level we won the B league giving out drubbings to other teams, with our biggest victory beating Red Rose 15-1. After that we remained a respectable A league team untill youth football leagues ended after u-16 level. Children must learn how to lose and it''s the way we react to these things which makes a player and the person who we are.[/quote]

Great Post! But the team I am talking about have lost by 10+ goals (other than that 4-2 result) in every game this season, and I am afraid that is just taking it a bit to far - Dont you think?

OTBC!

[quote user="Shack Attack"]Whilst I think the idea of abandoning a game at 9-0 is ridiculous, surely the act of having a referee call the game off would be way more humiliating that conceding a couple of extra goals, I do think that kids football focuses to much on results. Kids under the age of fourteen should be focusing on technique and skills rather than worrying where they are in the league. Maybe that way we wouldn''t witness professional footballers in this country who can trap the ball further than I can kick it.

Many of the problems which have blighted the English game for years are caused by youngsters being taught that ''if in doubt kick it out'' or to ''hit the channels'' which is caused by a fear of defeat from an early age. We need to allow them to play without fear and take risks without worrying about getting a bollocking from some ''coach'' who''s living his footballing life vicariously through his son.

Unfortunately any attempt to focus on technique ahead of results is automatically branded ''politically correct''* by people who labour under the delusion that grit, heart, passion and determination are more important than technique.

* In the news this week we''ve seen the words ''quantative easing'' used over and over again without once being described as being politically correct. Surely the very definition of ''PC'' is changing the name of a certain thing to make it more palatable politically. So ''printing money'' becomes ''quantative easing'' and ''kidnapping someone, flying them to a random hellhole, simulating drowning and then hacking at their genitals with a razor blade'' becomes ''extraordinary rendition''. Woe betide anyone who changes the lyrics to ''What Shall We Do With The Drunken Sailor'' though. Clearly that is much, much more important [:|]
[/quote]

Your just being silly Shack.  The definition of PC is "anything the Daily Mail thinks is stupid or any counter arguement it can''t defeat in logical or rational debate" (so every counter arguement).

I do agree this is silly though.  However, the "It never did me any harm" argument misses the point - The England team is woeful, so something should be done.

In my view they should give the ref the power to inforce the 2-touch rule, like my old PE teacher used to.  If one side were clearly winning (rather than at some pre-determined score) then they would be banned from taking more then 2 touches, more than 3 becoming a foul.   This was much more beneficial for both sides - the losing side had a chance to intercept the passes and the winning side were forced to address their ball control skills - much more useful than walking it into the goal another 20 times of so.

Having six players is not on.....surely it is down to the team to arrange getting their players, so if they cant do that..they will have to live with it.

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="book end"]

[quote user="Buckethead"]We used to regularly hammer out scores like 25-0 and 26-1 at 8,9 and 10 years old in the Norfolk Cubs football league back in the mid 70''s. Don''t think the County is full of mid 40''s psychologically depraved loonies who can all trace it back to a 22-2 drubbing on the pitch at Earlham 30 years ago, might be wrong but I think it was probably called ''character building'' back then.
Mind you the boys of a generation and more ago were hard, I mean they got mud on their trousers, climbed trees, swam in the river, could eat without washing their hands after fishing and playing with frogs and didn''t know what an antibiotic was until they had children of their own.

Still I guess nannying your children is probably the best preparation you can possibly give them for adult life in this bloody Country these days.
[/quote]

Our cub scout team lost 31-1 (perhaps it was 26?) about 30 years ago  plus a couple of other scores in the 20''s. We were the 17th Norwich and played in dark blue shirts. I couldn''t remember who we were playing but it may have been your lot! We also had the son of a famous Norwich striker up front, all to no avail. Strangely we actually had half a team of decent players. Perhaps we just lacked ''belief''. Unfortunately, the ''coach'' was one of the lads fathers who used to employ an interesting and ahead of its time rotation policy and I remember our keeper might as well not have been there but no-one else wanted to go in goal. We managed to keep our heads up somehow because I think we loved playing and despite the results we had a good team spirit so in the end it was great character building stuff. There was no major sulking or stropping off at all. We accepted defeat with handshakes. We played a team on the heartsease and only lost 11-0 which we saw as a really positive result. I don''t think we won any in that particular season but there was definitely a narrow 3-2 defeat and a 1-1 draw in the last game where we gave it in spades and ended the season on a massive high! Those were happy days.

Definitely they learn to play to the final whistle whatever the score. It''s a valuable life lesson for them.

[/quote]

It was possibly us  (1st Taverham ) the team was formed and entered into the League in about 1974. We started in the bottom league and won promotion three years in a row. Home ground was at Earlham for some reason and I think we played in red. Seem to remember Brundall cubs must have done the same as us starting at the same time because we played them every year and they were the only team where regular scores like 2-1 were common. We didn''t win every match by any means and suffered some heavy defeats along the way but the defeats only made us bolster down and train and try harder.
 Unless they give you internet access in gaol nowadays I can only assume that a heavy defeat in cub football 30 years ago didn''t traumatise you sufficiently that you harboured a grudge against society for 30 years before gaining revenge in a series of homicidal axe wielding maniacal serial killings or let''s be honest any harm whatsoever. I just don''t know where these psychological nannies are coming from or more worryingly what evidence they have to support their absurd theories, seems to me to be the only branch of science where a theory does not need proven empirically prior to acceptance.

Cub football was great, a lot of fun something to look forward to at the weekend win, lose or draw and quite sociable too. Several lads we''d met from the football around the County ''turned up'' when we started secondary school, a couple of whom I''m still loosely in touch with over 30 years later.
[/quote]

Rings a bell, could well have been Taverham who tonked us. We had Terry Allcock''s son Paul playing up front for us. Come to think of it, we never did any training at all and that may have been why we took some hidings but take nothing away from your performance on the day, we were simply steamrollered. I just remember us taking the kick off after every goal, losing possession after a couple of passes and seconds later it was in the net again, and so it went on and on for 90 minutes. I think our goal came when we were already about 15 down but it was a huge relief to not get 0. That goal meant a lot to us and I''m pretty sure it was Paul who scored it. Still in good contact with 1 of my team mates from cubs. Incidentally, I''m usually quite a balanced individual so no grudges against society for me, only happy memories - even the tonkings make me smile now, it''s all part of it. Keep these nannies out of footy!