Sign in to follow this  
SNAP

So who DID pay for the Blackpool flights?

So exactly who did pay for the players to fly to an inept and gutless performance in Blackpool? Step forward Brian Gunn. It was the players idea. They put their hands in their pockets and stumped up the £200 each. Interestingly based on a 35 hour week most of them would have earned that in the time they were in the air. However, as Brian will tell us it’s part of the new loved up togetherness at Carrow Road.

But wait, here comes Delia after a good meal and a splash on The Golden Mile no doubt. She meets up with Stuart Hall, he of the incontinence inducing laughter on It’s a Knockout (how ironic is that!). Delia, one suspects, can’t bear the thought of her club appearing to be skint so she tells Stuart that THE CLUB paid for the flights! An hour later Stuart in on Radio 5 Live telling the world and making our club a laughing stock again.

So, what’s it to be? Back Page EDP headlines that tell us we are all in his together and our players are spending the money that they are earning while flying up to Blackpool, or the Delia version? Delia speaks for the first time since The Norfolk Show and proves she still has Foot in Mouth Disease!

I caught the tail end of their pre-match round up so 2:30-2:45 ish. SH thought it amusing and said he had been speaking with Delia at lunch and the guy in the studio said something about "that clears that one up then".

Either Delia didn''t like the idea that the media thought her club couldn''t afford the flights or, more likely, the whole story was spun in case supporters objected to these wasters flying up there while the fans had the road journey. Either Archant/Gunn or Delia/Stuart Hall are not telling the truth. Simple as that.

[quote user="MonkeyTrousers"]Was this actually on Radio 5?If it was, it leaves questions that need to be answered:Or is the spin machine totally out of control now?[/quote]Yep, Stuart Hall was covering the game and they mentioned about the players paying for the flight and supposedly Delia flat out denied it.

Bryan mentioned that the players had suggested paying for a Flybe flight to Manchester, where the club coach would pick them up and take them to Blackpool. This was to prevent them having to endure a long coach journey. I have no reason to not believe Bryan and think it''s not that way out a suggestion. Flybe flights to Manchester are well within the budgets of our players. I didn''t hear what Stuart Hall said on Five Live but can imagine him thinking it amusing.

So who DID pay for the Blackpool flights?If you break the question down, Jeremy Vyle style.  The Ultimate answer is, The Fans paid for them.

Can''t help agreeing with the earlier Poster who suggested Archant stick their head above the parapet and ask Delia to explain herself. Not going to hold my breath though.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Bryan mentioned that the players had suggested paying for a Flybe flight to Manchester, where the club coach would pick them up and take them to Blackpool. This was to prevent them having to endure a long coach journey. I have no reason to not believe Bryan and think it''s not that way out a suggestion. Flybe flights to Manchester are well within the budgets of our players. I didn''t hear what Stuart Hall said on Five Live but can imagine him thinking it amusing.[/quote]So then why would Delia Smith say it wasn''t true? - that''s interesting.  I think she needs to put up and shut up.

At the NCISA meeting on Thursday Bryan Gunn said that the players were paying out of their own pockets to fly to Manchester. There they would be picked up by the team coach which would presumably would have on board the rest of the City entourage who would have travelled up on Friday. According to Bryan the players felt a six hour coach journey would not have been the best preparation for such a vital match. Bryan stressed how impressed he was by their '' togetherness '', how they were happy to pay this themselves, how they cared, etc, etc.

In the event all this '' talking up '' exploded back in Bryan''s face. They may as well have crawled to Bloomfield Road pushing a pea along with their nose for all the good it did. That said I doubt if Bryan would have said what he did in front of so many witnesses if it wasn''t true.

If there is any confusion surrounding all this then I suspect the problem lies at Delia''s door. She does, after all, have a bit of previous when it comes to putting her foot in it.....