Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Gary D - can you smell a Libbra?

Tell me if i''m jumping the gun here but...

Ok, so his debut(ish) goal wasn''t quite so spectacular but the similarities are showing and the signs are not good. If he was badly shown up by Shackell, which no-one should be suprised about, against Palace reserves, then i can''t see him being any higher up the pecking order for a central defensive berth than for a striking one.

He''s up against Flem enjoying the time of his life and his fellow yorkie Charlton, showing he''s still got the qualities that were so lauded at Bolton, and a young hungry and talented Shackell pushing hard in the reserves.

At the other end of the pitch, he may have a bit more chance (eventhough he doesn''t really want it), esp from the bench if Leon or Matty aren''t doing it but otherwise, with a new striker iminent, his future looks to involve a meeting with that big dustbin marked Emblen, Walsh, Cottee and Libbra...

And 750k, if that''s what he cost, is starting to look like a rash and hasty piece of business at best. 

I think it''s a bit early to be closing the door on the Doc already.  He was brought to the club, primarily, as a central defender.  He''s had the bad luck (Norwich''s good luck!) of coming to a club who''s two current central defenders are playing out of their skin.  Lets also not forget that he''s only 24.  Fleming is 33.  Someone will have to fill the gap in a year or two.  Ok, I know Shacks is coming through but I don''t think we can write off the Doc yet

Can''t put him out in the bin just yet... got to see what he is like at defending....But could it just be that ..Flem could be in his last season...before Nige lets him go the way of Iwan and Malky  ..especially if we stay up...

I''m with DD on this one. the doc needs time, just like others such as Helveg, Jonson, Mckenzie, Holt etc to settle in and i''m sure he''ll start to play a more important role for city. i can''t see him shunting flem or charlton cos they are absolutely superb and give 110% in every game. he will get his chance though, and with both of them being 33 you can''t really see them being there at the heart of the defence for too many more seasons to come. i don''t think he should play up front, watching him in his appearances you could tell that he''s not comfortable up there as a target man, and forgive me if it sounds like i''m being harsh on the lad, but in my opinion he''s not much better up there than Svensson.and if he really was brought here primarily as a defender, then why not give him a chance there?

Libbra???? You''re joking I hope. Libbra''s problem was that mostly he didn''t give a monkey''s,  and there''s no way you can say that about Docherty. Let''s play Flem as a striker and see how long it takes for posters to rubbish him.

Forgive me, but everyone is saying how great Flem, Charlton and Greeno are playing, but we have still conceded 14 goals!!  Okay its not the worst in the prem, but its not great either.  People say Edworthy is keeping Helveg out of the side too.  So basically 4 of our back 5 are so good that no one else can get in, yet they have conceded 14!!

Okay, its a team game and they have probably kept out double that, but Spurs should have been 3 up at time against us and only bad luck on their part stopped that happening.

Idividually they do all look like they are playing well, but Doc and Helveg must be wondering how many goals we have to concede before they get a chance.  Don''t get me wrong I am not saying I think our defence is bad I just think to write off the Docs chances in there so early is not fair on him.

Bit confusing opinions I have expressed there, but hopefully you get what I mean.

Stevenage fan, the key to a team keeping clean sheets is based on all 11 players, not just 5, it''s like saying the goalkeeper is poor after conceding a hat full of goals when the defenders have off days. I think the defence has looked pretty good so far. It is a simple fact that many of the teams we play this year will be better than us too, so apart from the Arsenal and Liverpool games we have looked fairly solid and only conceded 7 goals. The same logic can be applied to strikers too, they can''t score loads of goals when there is no service to them. I think Charlton has been our best signing so far by a mile.

As for Doherty, give him a chance, he hasn''t even played in defence yet! I also agree with the comment above about contrasting the work rate and effort of the two players, no contest really.

Fair enough gang, seems i was jumping the gun with GD. And also i read NW telling us all that his fitness levels need improving so hopefully there''s plenty more to come from the man.

And spot on Morty, people need to realise that it''s not just the defenders who defend. As many goals are conceded by a poor pass or mistake in midfield as by a mistake in defence. If they are too exposed, top premiership strikers will get through them every time whether they are Paulo Maldini or Drissa Diallo!

[quote]Stevenage fan, the key to a team keeping clean sheets is based on all 11 players, not just 5, it''s like saying the goalkeeper is poor after conceding a hat full of goals when the defenders have off da...[/quote]

Yes I agree with that and did try to say that somewhere in my post, just not as well as you did

Now you mention only 7 goals coming from teams outside the very top flight it isn''t such a bad result.   Also I have only seen the games on SKY and listened on Canaries World to the others, so I am not in the best position to comment....   My main point was don''t write off the Doc just yet as we will need him, especially if one of Flem or Charlton get injured.  From what I have seen from Charlton he is one of the best signings we have made for a long time.

Kind of contradicting myself now aren''t I?  haha.

Flem 33 and the Doc 24 - place them next to each other who would you say was 9 years older

I think a new topic is needed:

"Did The Doc Mum lie on his birth certificate!!"

[quote]Can''t put him out in the bin just yet... got to see what he is like at defending....But could it just be that ..Flem could be in his last season...before Nige lets him go the way of Iwan and Malky .....[/quote]

KennyWere you at the reserves game this week. Doc got his chance in defence and he was simply dreadful. He did not seem to have the pace to keep up with their strikers so he constantly resorted to pushing or shirt pulling. If he gets fit then maybe he will impress. I suppose we have to give him time. But on wednesday nights performance I dont think he even deserves a place on the subs bench.

Good to c u back Stevenenage Fan.  You''ve gone from oblivity to being top poster on here over last couple of weeks.  There is a however a house in Norwich in need of some serious decoration so maybe less time on here and a swift visit may help the situation.  Let me know when you back and if not working will try and jack up a visit.  

Jet heeled

Kenny
Were you at the reserves game this week. Doc got his chance in defence and he was simply dreadful. He did not seem to have the pace to keep up with their strikers so he constantly resorted to pushing or shirt pulling. If he gets fit then maybe he will impress. I suppose we have to give him time. But on wednesday nights performance I dont think he even deserves a place on the subs bench.

No mate couldn''t get in to game,  had a stinker in the RESERVES, I was worried when we bought him as a spurs webmaster and some mates said he was absolutely terrible.. prone to mistakes and giving away needless free kicks by doing what you have said he did.

Now whether the get fit regime he will be under will do anything to enhance his perfomances only time will tell...personally I think young Jason should be given some experience if only on the bench.....but still feel we can''t put Donkerty out in the bin y

Sorry, couldn''t resist resurrecting this one - seems more pertinent than ever at the moment. Jack of two trades, master of none, good idea in theory but a costly mistake in practice. We need masters in every position in this league.