Sign in to follow this  
No Quarter

Forget who the manager is....we need a leader on the pitch

Come on guys, we''ve slagged off  (and sacked)  all of our last however many managers.  Hasn''t the penny dropped that it''s on the field where the problems are??  We need a leader, someone who leads by example, someone who will keep the likes of Hoolahan etc on a bit of a leash on the field.  The manager selects the team, but once they cross that white line, it''s down to them.  Yes, you guessed it, we need a Malky type figure.  In the season we got into the play off''s, who "really" got us to the play off''s???  It was Malky.  He commanded the field, gave the supporters a clenched fist before kick off''s (who remembers Barnsley away that season), had players like McVeigh play the best football of their career as they looked upto him. And indeed scored the all importatnt goals.  Leading by example.   Same with the promotion season, with him and Iwan.  That is what we lack.  A big "man" on the pitch.  We can''t go on blaming and sacking managers.  Their voice cant be heard at the other end of the pitch anyway.  Come on, lets get a leader (who is ideally married with a couple of kids) in the team.  An adult.  A non chav.  Someone who actually cares about their livlehood.  The list goes on, Steve Bruce, Dave Watson, Andy Townsend etc.  Thats when we''ve been most successful.  Or we could sack YET another manager.....

Although I haven''t agreed with all of Gunns decisions ( no manager will get everything right!) I won''t critiscise him cause I don''t think any manager would be able to do much better in our situation thanks to Roeder ripping the guts out of the club immediately previously which included getting rid of leaders!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

Although I haven''t agreed with all of Gunns decisions ( no manager will get everything right!) I won''t critiscise him cause I don''t think any manager would be able to do much better in our situation thanks to Roeder ripping the guts out of the club immediately previously which included getting rid of leaders!

[/quote]

And Worthington before him....

we have needed leadership and the last three managers have failed to fill that gap.  When promoted we had malk, iwan and holt pushing the team on with flem also playing a part in keeping the team going.  Thats a third of the team with a driving force. 

Today we have fozzy as the only player in the squad who was vocal and offers team support.....

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

we have needed leadership and the last three managers have failed to fill that gap.  When promoted we had malk, iwan and holt pushing the team on with flem also playing a part in keeping the team going.  Thats a third of the team with a driving force. 

Today we have fozzy as the only player in the squad who was vocal and offers team support.....

[/quote]

Sorry  Zippy but I can''t for once agree with you.  I think Stefanovic was signed for this role and began to guide the team as Dion had.  His injury is significant for that reason alone

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

Sorry  Zippy but I can''t for once agree with you.  I think Stefanovic was signed for this role and began to guide the team as Dion had.  His injury is significant for that reason alone

[/quote]

Fair point cambs,  had forgotten stef,  although he did not shout leader too much to me.   However my real point was that strong teams need and benefit from more than one leader (england world cup rugby team was full of big leaders,  not just M Johnson);  that our club has had but one or two over 4 years is a fundamental flaw for me.  

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Fair point cambs,  had forgotten stef,  although he did not shout leader too much to me.   However my real point was that strong teams need and benefit from more than one leader (england world cup rugby team was full of big leaders,  not just M Johnson);  that our club has had but one or two over 4 years is a fundamental flaw for me.