Sign in to follow this  
jed exodous

Green off to the gooners

I have it on pretty good authority ( a friend who plays for lynn and is frined with sutchy, whose still close friends with norwich and green) that a deal has already been agreed for him to join. 

I''m afraid i don''t know when or for how much.  Would be gutted if it was under 4 or 5 mil tho.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, however this must give worthy some increased funds somewhere down the line.

Keep it low

I have to say I think this was on the cards from the beginning of the season. Think about it.

1. Green signs new contract to keep him at City ensuring that we will get a transfer fee should he leave.

2. Worthy signs not one backup keeper following the release of Crichton, but two. First he signs the then Scotland #1 Gallacher, then he signs Ward.

I think it was always in his mind that Gallacher would become City''s #1 keeper with Ward in as backup.

That said, where has Gallacher gone?

My mate spoke to Bentley after the Arsenal game and he told him then that he was off either in Jan or at the end of the season.Also heard it from Flecky.

Green isn''t going anywhere.  If he leaves this season I will eat my arm.

He is not yet the finished product, and Arsenal - as they have with Bentley - would want him to establish himself in the Premier for at least a season before gambling on him.  He''s not going to go cheap, so they are going to make sure he is the right choice.

These rumours just need a bit of thought, instead of people jumping on the rumour wagon.

If Greeno stays I''ll eat my arm and leg - but at least thats what it''ll cost Arsenal to get him.

Previous postsa re correct there''s no way Worthy would have signed 2 new keepers (considering our budget) unless he knew Greeno was part of the Bentley deal.

It''ll be sad to see him go, but lets get behind him and him the all the best and hope he gets that England No1 shirt.  We''re a producing club, we get them, train them and make money on them and plenty have done superb since leaving (Bruce, Watson, Bellamy etc) Greeno is just the next one along.

[quote]Green isn''t going anywhere. If he leaves this season I will eat my arm. He is not yet the finished product, and Arsenal - as they have with Bentley - would want him to establish himself in the Premi...[/quote]

Splendid Rush

The rumours are a product of the thought process of this forum, we didn''t invent a rumour and then think of some facts to go with it.

If you have read the forum you will know the thought process behind it and the reasons for the conclusion.

So more than "a bit of thought" has gone into it, high minded of you to suggest otherwise is''nt it ?

Personal perspective - Arsenal will have have negotiated first options come next summer (the basis of the Bentley loan no doubt). If we go down, Green will have free run at the move. If we don''t then the negotiating begins, and Bentley MAY prove part of that equation.

No way will this be 100% done and dusted, but options will be in place.

I have it on good authority that someone down the pub said that his mate knew dave stringers dogs friends owner and that had spoken to Mark River''s dentist who said that he''d heard from a man who was scratching his arse in Tesco''s that Green was going to move clubs sometime in his career - therefore it must be true

[quote]I have it on pretty good authority ( a friend who plays for lynn and is frined with sutchy, whose still close friends with norwich and green) that a deal has already been agreed for him to join. I''...[/quote]

Jed,

You''re not the bearer of bad news as I think the majority of us have known about this for a couple of months and it became pretty obvious when Worthy bought 2 new goalies. My only hope is that we dont accept less than Â£7m for him which we can use to buy a quality striker to give our Hucks some much needed support and perhaps  another quality midfielder.

[quote]Green isn''t going anywhere. If he leaves this season I will eat my arm. He is not yet the finished product, and Arsenal - as they have with Bentley - would want him to establish himself in the Premi...[/quote]

Splendid Rush,

I have booked you an ambulance for January just in case theres enough of your arm left to patch up.

to all of you still living on that pink cloud

green is off to arsenal - you have to accept that, thank god he will get a good home and we have the pleasure of bentley on loan for a season

greeno has done us proud and deserves his chance for the really big time, all i can say is good luck and all the best for the rest of his career

we will survive, we always have before, and in joe lewis, have probably unearthed another excellent young keeper for the far off future

No, I do not think he will go to Arsenal in January, possibly at the end of season but it depends on where we finish in the league.  If we get relegated then he may go, but only then why would he leave mid season?

Put yourself in his boots, here are his CURRENT choices.

1.  Norwich guaranteed No 1 or Arsenal reserves.

So is he good enough to displace Lehmann?  Based on this weeks game yes, but over the last 49 league games Lehmann has proved he is not that easily beaten. He is a class keeper and is better than Green, so he has little chance to be No 1 for Arsenal at this time, stick with City.

2.  England callups or watching on TV.

What chance has he of being called up for England if he is not playing first team games?  Sven could choose Kirkland (Occasional 1st team game) in place of Green, but he does not, he prefers to call up Greeno who has had plenty ofattemptss at goal to stop this season, many chances to impress Ray Clemence etc, stick with City.

3.  Hero worship or new guy trying to prove his worth, winning over a new set of fans.

If you were Wenger would you drop a player who is playing well for someone who has yet tintegratete himself into your record breaking squad.  Someone who needs to learn how his new defence plays in front of him.  Greeno would get plenty of stick from the Gooners if he flaps at a punch from a Pompey forward, here we just forgive him because of his heroics v Spurs and Villa, stick with City.

4.  Medals  or relegation dogfight.

OK I will give you that one!

I really do believe that many of you are just jumping to the wrong conclusions just because we signed Ward and Gallacher.  We signed keepers to replace Crichton, and we signed two because we could afford to sign two, not because one is going to replace Green and the other is sub, we needed to strengthen the squad.

Bentley is the key in your other argument.  No.  Bentley signed because there was no way that a talented young player could break into the Arsenal team and make a big impact.  At Norwich (or the 7 other clubs he could have joined pre season) he has a greatopportunityy to show how good a player he is and still learn the tricks of the trade.

And that is what Greeno is doing, showing that he is a star player, a big fish in a small pond, not someone who cant get a game.  Pulling off great saves every other game because he has more to do here, more chances to impress the watching critics or England coaches.  More chances to score 8 out of 10, to up your Opta index score, to get you noticed in your first season in the prem because you are only 24 with 10 years + to go.  Ultimately Greeno will want to win medals but currently he knows which side his bread is buttered and he knows that the grass is greener this side of the fence!

I agree that Green is off to probably Arsenal and no doubt for a nice fee to boost Nigels'' hand in the January sales.

However if (heaven forbid) we are struggling near the bottom, who, with quality is going to want to come here?

If you are a free scoring forward/dynamic midfielder/classy centre back in a side near the top of the fizzy league, staying there may give you a better chance of playing Premiership football next season.

Likewise a player, with similar credentials but not playing regularly in a prem side, is he going to take the risk of being in the brown sticky fizzy stuff league next season?

Therefore if Greeno goes, it maybe better he goes at the end of the season when we know where we are in terms of level for 2005/06.

However in my opinion, as we wont be near the bottom come January it wont be an issue, will it?

Freddy H, you have made some very good points there that have made me feel a little more positive about the situation.  One thing you haven''t mentioned though is wages.

Green could potentially earn a lot more sitting on the bench at Arsenal than playing 1st team at Norwich.   Now other people have mentioned that Green''s character dictates that money would not be the deciding factor for him, but it all depends how much and what other promises are made about breaking into the 1st team.  The fact he is young means he might not mind playing reserve team football for a season if he is earning a shed load of cash to support his family.  He has plenty of years on his side to become Arsenal''s No.1 and will make lots of money in the process.

I am still a little worried, but am leaning more to the end of the season departure rather than January now.

Greeno will be leaving the club - what we do not know is when he will be leaving, who he will be joining and how much he will go for.

Personally I suspect he will leave next summer which will mean a slightly smaller transfer fee.  I suspect, and hope for him, that he will join the gooners and have a long and successful career there.   Any other club would be selling his talent short; he deserves medals.

As for the fee I do not expect it to exceed £5m - keepers simply do not go for that much in the UK - Robinson went for £1.5m in what could prove to be similar circumstances to our own.  A successful England debut and staying in the squad ahead of Kirkland would enhance the fee, as would sustaining his current form.  

Of course my ramblings have no more insiders knowledge that the milkmans dogs mate - but he will be leaving us during the next 12 months so we should make the most of him while we can.

GREEENO! 

Green is not going to Arsenal in January!  I''m not going to repeat myself, but simply saying "I''m mates with Robert Rosario who still speaks to Dave on the hot dog stand and he told me..." doesn''t mean it will happen.

Look at it from Wenger''s point of view.  He his team is 49 games unbeaten.  He is not going to risk getting a young keeper with 8 games of Premiership experience, for whom he will have to pay over the odds for.  If he buys him in January and sits him on the bench, Green will lose the Premiership experience he needs.

I can see that Greeno will not be with us for ever, and he will probably go in the summer having proven himself Premiership quality, but it makes no sense that he will be going in January. 

Gorleston Jim, you have hit the nail on the head.  The ''rumours'' (your word) have been created by thought processes on the forum.  Not facts, just things like "Worthy bought 2 reserve goalkeepers" and "Green was spoted househunting in Islington".  These things are hearsay and conjecture.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course, it is down to people''s interpretation of the situation, and indeed, it is possible I may look very stupid in January.  But I simply believe that if you weigh up the pros and cons for every party involved, it is fairly clear what the outcome will be.

If he does go I think we have to respect his decision and if he ever comes backs and plays aganist us we should raise the roof for him to acknowledge what he has done to our football club, the bloke has been outstanding and always plays with a smile on his face.

[quote]Green is not going to Arsenal in January! I''m not going to repeat myself, but simply saying "I''m mates with Robert Rosario who still speaks to Dave on the hot dog stand and he told me..." doesn''t mea...[/quote]

Hi splendid rush,

The objected-to piece of your initial post was that you had given a great deal of clever thought to it,  whilst we mere sub intellectuals hadn''t applied even a little bit of same. Hence the high minded bit. Anyway water under the bridge etc.

Your reasoning is good, and as with others'' will be proven right or wrong in time.

Mind, they have not offered de-limbing to enhance their prophesies !

So if wrong in january you will indeed look foolish,(your words), chewing hungrily at your extremities.

Don''t take me too seriously though, ........just ''armless fun.

I hope NW does his best to keep him until the end of the season.. I''d prefer a brilliant keeper that can help us stay up than an improved balance sheet.. (unless we get £5m+ and actually spend it)

its bad news on the greeno front..especially as the gooners have gota right clown in at the moment!

but we should try and get 3/4 mil but have bently thrown into the deal

i could settle with that

I have a feeling that IF Rob goes this season, Carrow Road will recieve a delivery of £3m flood lights...

Investing in the future, of course.

[quote]I have to say I think this was on the cards from the beginning of the season. Think about it. 1. Green signs new contract to keep him at City ensuring that we will get a transfer fee should he leave....[/quote]

No offence Morph but since when has Gallacher been scotland number 1?

Well, Stella Canary, how was your limb breakfast this morning?

Still, I won''t gloat.  There''s a time and a place for fun and enjoyment, and it''s not when we''re 2nd bottom in the league, not kept a clean sheet for nearly 4 months and only aquired a 34-year old midfielder to keep us up.

[quote]Well, Stella Canary, how was your limb breakfast this morning? Still, I won''t gloat. There''s a time and a place for fun and enjoyment, and it''s not when we''re 2nd bottom in the league, not kept a c...[/quote]

Only acquired a 34 year old midfielder?  What about the £3m, 21 year old striker?

[quote]I have it on pretty good authority ( a friend who plays for lynn and is frined with sutchy, whose still close friends with norwich and green) that a deal has already been agreed for him to join. I''...[/quote]

Can we get over the damn transfer window rumour''s first jed?.

Also,, I don''t think its time to discuss the merits of what I consider to be a ''My Mates Dog Type'' rumour.