Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Patience or Turbulence?

I know everyone is feeling extremely flat and disappointed after our missed opportunity against Blackburn. Obviously, there will be increased receptiveness to the idea of getting rid of Worthy, soul searching going on as to what action can we take ASAP to at least give us the best opportunity of surviving, who to play/who to drop, determination to put added pressure on the Norwich Board to spend money etc etc etc.

I believe the club and fans need to be honest with themselves and recognise the realities we are dealing with. If those realities are accepted, the club needs to decide whether to go the road of patience and prudence or turbulence and risk.

1. In all likelihood, we probably do not have a good enough squad presently to survive ( only my opinion ). Hope I''m wrong.
  2. We have too many players who are at the wrong end of their playing careers ( eight players over 30 years old ) and where we have youth it is with minimal experience at best. The older ones will have to be replaced within the next couple of years or so, as will the younger ones if they fail to develop. Try and look beyond the present. It’s what any successful organisation needs to do to grow in the right way. The alternative is not pretty.
  3. We have recruited a number of players that, to date, we seem to lack confidence in to play with any degree of continuity. This is a problem, and there needs to be careful scrutiny within the club as to how diligent the pre-signing homework was, and what we need to do to improve in that area lest we repeat the mistake.
  4. We do not have experienced management in dealing with the challenges of Premiership football. They will learn, but do Norwich fans have the patience for that? Charlton fans and ownership did. Fans need to come to grips with that, otherwise you may be instrumental in causing the club to be impatient, not necessarily the wisest course of action.
  5. For Premiership football. we do not have the scale of club to compete with the big boys in respect to large transfer fees/wages etc., but we have many fans that think we must have many millions to spend.
  6. We praise ourselves as being a nice family-oriented club and even try to acquire people who are "nice" and will fit in. Is this truly what we need? Perhaps we need some people who are not particularly likeable, who get in each others faces in training and in the dressing room etc.
  7. Over the past year I have seen much indulgence in self-praise about our Academy setup without applying a realistic assessment of whether we are truly able to generate sufficient talent through that system. The 19 year olds at Crystal Palace, for example, seem to be making solid contributions on the first team.
  8. We need to effectively benchmark whether our training facilities and methods are yielding the level of fitness required to compete at this level. As a matter of fact, we have frequently claimed, naively IMO, that an advantage we hold versus many others teams is our level of fitness. Really? How does one measure/benchmark that to prove it as a fact?
  9. We frequently see claims that Norwich has the best supporters in the country but clearly, at the moment, fail to match the quality of Portmouth fans when they faced similar pressures. We obviously have some great fans so please don’t jump on me for this comment but we can do better.
  10. If this message board is a barometer, we also have fans who have difficulty in being realistic about the abo

[quote]I know everyone is feeling extremely flat and disappointed after our missed opportunity against Blackburn. Obviously, there will be increased receptiveness to the idea of getting rid of Worthy, soul s...[/quote]

Thought I''d bring this back to the first page of the board because it''s a really really good post.  Well said YC.  It stopped me and made me think

Excellent posting with many valid points.  At the end of the day we were never going to be championship contenders this season and as long as we can keep in amongst the running with the rest of the bottom six clubs at least until Jan then I believe we still have a good chance of beating the drop.  I purposely did not post straight after the match as my response would have been much different to this as it is surprising what you write when you are totally pi**ed off, but give it a couple of days and let the disappointment fade away a bit and it is surprising how you look at things a little more clearly. 

yes indeed yankee - several of your points are relevant, but you seem to forget, we have been in the prem before, and as for worthy bringing in someone who isn''t nice

oh please, please do!

but you know it won''t happen! 

[quote]yes indeed yankee - several of your points are relevant, but you seem to forget, we have been in the prem before, and as for worthy bringing in someone who isn''t nice oh please, please do! but you k...[/quote]

Pretty good post YC, I agreed I''m afraid, with most of what you said, damn it!.

but this bloody board, would never bring anyone in, who ''rocked the boat''.

IMO Mike Walker (blessings be upon his name) tried this in his second term, and we all know what happened then (Bellers?).

I cannot, and will not, forgive them (yes, they''re still all there) for that.

IMO they betrayed the best damn manager this club ever had. And just at a time when his magic was starting to work again.

Had it not been for him, Iwan would not have come to the club.

Sorry for going off track as usual.

An excellent post YC I agree with the majority of your points.  I hope it does keep coming back to the top of the board, if nothing else but to remind those with very short memories.  Those that don''t seem to remember where we have come from and who has got us to where we are now.  Before anyone else says it no I don''t want to go back there again but if we do then I will still be there supporting and not booing.

Would be happy with 17th and said that at the beginning of the season.

Reality Strikes

After looking at one or two old posts I couldn''t resist bringing this one back up which was posted following our home game against Blackburn in early November. It''s still applicable after our away game against Blackburn this weekend as patience on one or two fronts begins to wear thin.

[quote]I know everyone is feeling extremely flat and disappointed after our missed opportunity against Blackburn. Obviously, there will be increased receptiveness to the idea of getting rid of Worthy, soul s...[/quote]

Oh joy, paragraphs!!.

As you take the micky out of my spelling, I couldn''t resist it.        

Nice one, Y C, in another post I saw fit to agree with many of the points on this thread, but I needed a little more time to digest the points made here before I could really feel satisfied that I had the stomach for implications there-in.

1: I remain optomistic to the score of 8 and have faith to the score of 2. If the coaching is not more productive on the defensive front.

2: I agree that we have too many over the hill age wise, I feel that we are not ruthless enough in the blooding of  19 year + players and we ought to give them some more short outings. pressure and responsibility are food for those with great potential.

3+4: Will learn.yes! we cannot afford the mistakes of poor evaluation , they are too costly.

5+6: The idea that a few players of the practical, no nonsense hard type, might get us somewhere appeals to me!!

7: Were to easy on youth! Yes! In other teams they are put into battle earlier. Unfortunately I''ve found the work ethic in modern youth to be very questionable.

8: I''ve said many times we are fit, but not strong.

More stamina and endurance tests hill climbing etc, will sort the men from the boys. This stamina thing must be done after the morning training sessions.

9+10: Great Fans, but too many are unwilling to face the negative aspect of disjointed play emerging of late. We seem to have trouble with team balance and truth, coupled with an over-use of rose coloured spec''s. However we must always as you say, encourage the team on the field however disappointing the display.

Summing up: My final expectation was on entry to the Prem that we would beat C Palace and that we would occupy 16-17 place as long as we continued to have the defensive luck that gained Prem Status!!!