Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

The root cause of all our problems

Cream rises to the top. So why blame the players when - over the course of a season- they are simply performing at their level? If you offered me a contract and then wondered why I never scored - it would not be my fault as a fat vicar- but yours for hiring me!

The simple truth is that we sold our true champ quality players- Etuhu- Safri- Francis- Johnson- Earnshaw- Dublin- Huckerby- Green etc

and decided, in our infinite stupidity which I still struggle to understand- to replace with cheaper models. That being - Hughes, Lapin, Fatty Patty, Curo, Fozzy, Otsemebor, Hoolahan (sorry but despite tech ability this man is far too lightweight to be a good champ player), etc

Ultimately we downgraded from champ quality players to league 1/2 quality with one or two exceptions. Not only does it show on the pitch but it is now resulting in almost certain relegation. Even if we DO survive- without massive investment- expect a similar level of performance next year.

THAT my friends is the root of the problem. The team are actually sitting where they should and would sit 9 times out of 10. Man for man they are just not good enough and lack the consistency to put wins together. Even QPR was luck not skill. The team who played Blackpool are a League 1 outfit in all but name (soon to change) and not a top league 1 side at that. Neither Crooky, Gunny, Alex Ferguson or Jose Mourinho would altar that sorry fact. And that is why my heart goes out to the legends now running our club...they have nothing in the bag to pull out. Doomed to failure and hoping on ''spirit, grit and luck'' alone.

So why was this criminal downsizing of playing staff allowed? Because Worthy was sacked without a proper vision in place for once he left..things had become far too comfortable with him here and nobody had put a plan in place for the worst case scenario. Then it came. This led to a board acting in confusion and with heart instead of head. They started panicking and hiring/firing at whim. Suddenly the whole club was running on a ''let us see how things go'' basis and it shows. The chop and change and panic mindset also led to a ludicrous merry- go - round of transfers; the champ quality being sold to finance two or three of the new managers yes men. (when one is sold and two or three come in you obviously get lesser quality.) Tragically a load of cashy also went on loans....and  led to an emptying of the coffers and we are now skint.

If Worthy had been sacked WITH A VISION and a GOOD manager lined up - we would still have a lot of our old players (Earny, Safri etc got fed up and left the minute Grant arrived) and would still be near the top. Instead we are staring down the barrell with little quality to do anything but fall.....sad

Agree to a certain degree but the players we do have are more than capable of being a mid-table side. There are teams above us with weaker squads who are still competitive. The truth is although we sold a lot of quality the current squad should be doing better. Perhaps the main reason for that is that the recent managers we have had failed to get the best out of each player. If you lack in the ability department you can make up for that in the championship with sodding hard work, something the current squad has failed to do in nearly every game. Norfolk has always been a nice place for players to come to and its this laid back style/attitude which has cost us dear.