Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

Style or Results?

With all the discussions about strikers, it appears that some people want to see a “Target Man” and others don’t. Personally I would like to see us play good football on the deck but I want us to stay up.  So the question is:  Would you rather us stay up playing long balls or go down playing good football?

I would like to see us stay up playing good football but at the end of the day I would take playing ugly and avoiding relegation.  Who would care if that’s how we survived as long as we could improve next season?  Do you think the Greeks will care who their team played in Euro 2004?  They won and at the end of the day that’s all that matters.

Totally agree saint - all this talk about we play decent football is B*ll*cks if we can''t win a game, do what we must to get it in the back of the net and get 3 points is what I say!

I want style every time. You have got to have some pride in your work, because if you haven''t got that, you haven''t got anything.

I cannot stand this "win at any cost" mentality that some teams adopt. I would obviously be disappointed if relegation happens, but I would like to think that if we are relegated we go down in style.

We are Norwich and we have a proud tradition to uphold.

Kick and rush merchants we are not and I hope we never are.

SSC, It''s easy to feel pride in your work in you have success and success for us this year will be finishing 17th.  I''m not saying I want us to play a long ball game but if next season we are in the PL I don''t think I''ll care how we stayed there.

We do have a tradition of playing nice football but I would like to see a tradition carried on from last season that see''s us being successful. 

For me it has to be results this season - all our wins can be 1-0 from own goals or Jenas type scambles with woodwork saving us at the moment and I would be very very happy. Although at the moment I think we are playing too much long ball play AND sitting in a relagtion spot- the worst of all combinations.

We look much better with 2 mobile strikers and the quicker be stick with that and find 8 other players who can actually pass to them & move into space, the quicker we will get our first win.

OTBC

I have to say that I''m with Super Shaun on this one. Give me a team that plays with style. Sure you can build in the grit and determination but I think you''ve got to still have that panache and style when you play the game.

On a slight tangent......I was sorely disappointed after the home draw with West Brom last season, not cause City got a point but because they showed a lack of creativity when it came to breaking down a dogged boring defense. A question to those who want results, would you be happy to see all City''s games played like that one against West Brom last season if they all ended up 1-0?

Worthy goes on and on about work rate and it seems to be the only thing he cares about. Whilst you''ve got to have that there is more to football than that.

Tell me all, would you prefer the side to play as they are this season or to be playing like the side that had such success under Mike Walker in 92/93/94? Or would you prefer the "West Brom huff, puff, hump" style that got us 1-0 results from now until season''s end?

i am sure my response to this is going to be fairly predictable

for a start i don''t think we will go down if we address our main problems, ie possession and playing proper football as does most of this division.  Yes, WBA survived playing hoof and hope, but they are not to be copied.

And if i really have to answer this question, going down playing the proper way is going to be my option.  I am sorry, but we have played hoof and hope for long enough, it is time to re-educate some of the staff - the players largely play to orders, we are convinced most of them can in fact play properly

sorry, survival is not always the answer, and i don''t think we will survive (at all costs) adopting megson''s negative, bullyboy tactics.  In fact those of you who advocate playing to stay up at all costs, how do we do it?  And who would you improve the team with?

All we need to do is address the coaching problem, i really cannot believe we need multi million pound players to pass the ball from one side of the park to the other, to make basic moves across the 18 yd box, we must not sink into the backs against the wall siege mentality, cos if we do, all is lost.  We won the right to play in this division, and we should remember that.  We can play proper footie, so why not start doing it more often. 

Good football!!! passes made accurately to the person their meant for, opening up the opposing defence so that any striker can get a shot on target. Getting behind the opposition demands intelligent off the ball running.  We often go forward by playing square in front of the opposition with no one making good diagonal front runs, so reducing our speed of attack, at the same time watching for the offside, we should vary our approach play by using both the long and short ball approach, at the present we are too predictable.

Can you imagine playing chess and using the same approach at every move. Sure way to be defeated me-thinks.  Ken Browns interview with Waller prior to Saturdays'' game, was right when he said we could get a good result if we upped the tempo a little. We all know what happened.  We will only be able to dictate games if we get to the ball first then keep it, then use it intelligently, pass move,pass move. 

These habits  are produced on the training ground. When I see our lads play in a match it looks to me as if the training tempo we use during the week is much too slow, because it spills into the real games on the pitch and no way do they seem to be able to get it out of their system until they get an awakening call at half time. To win the games we need imagination and invention and speed, and goals, however they are produced.

First of all, Bananaman – I am not saying playing well and succeeding are mutually exclusive, I would love that to be the case for us.  I don’t see where Arsenal come into though, money doesn’t buy success but having a mutli-million pound squad full of World Cup winners and world-class players does help.  We have played Gary Doherty as a striker not quite the same as having Henry, Bergkamp or Reyes and it kind of limits your options.

I still maintain I would rather stay up but I am hoping that if NW picks what he believes is his best team and sticks with it we could stay up.  Continuity and players given a long run in the team will help as much as spending lots of money and we can play some good football.

Just to make it clear, I am no way advocating playing ugly football, I don’t think I will ever forget being subjected to endless “down field missiles” from our back four in the last few seasons.  I just think that with everybody taking about securing our long-term financial future, it occurs to me that staying in the PL is the best way to do it.

Yes, but one of the things that enabled Arsenal to bring in these players was Nic Anelka.

Bought for 975,000 and sold for £23.5m - surely there is someone out there that we can bring in for small money who has big talent?

Arsenal spent big money before Anelka though, Bergkamp for £7m was still a big fee at the time.  The money Arsenal spent on Anelka is nothing for them and they could afford to lose the money and wait for him to develop.  They didn’t buy him to go straight in the starting 11, even though he pretty much did due to Wrights injury.  We need someone to come straight in and score.

I agree though, a buy like that would be fantastic and we are going to have to hope that we can find one.

Anyone''s choice changed now we are bottom of the league and adrift?

A few games of playing ugly could have saved us, anyone still happy to go down playing "nice" football?

Saint, it''s hard to argue against anything other than results at present, although I still sit in the camp that wants his side to play with flair and style. At least with that you could believe our side capable of the right results.

Any positive result would be good at the moment regardless of how dirty. Truth is it''s not happening though is it?

beelsie made teh best point. We aren''t good enough at the moment and we haven''t got the training right to support the good football. So we get stuffed most weeks. Too late now to change and we need muscular midfielders to get up and support Ashton in a long ball game rather than dandies and pimms drinkers.

This nice football we play includes intercepted passes and no tackles along with the rest of it.
It hasnt been nice football to me seeing as we have lost all the time

Style is to play fluent football like Arsenal play. We should adopt the Wimbledon FC of old (the crazy gang)! A team who didn''t respect or care, about the quality or style of the opposition, but they certainly got the required results!

They were feared by all the teams in the old top-flight, and won an FA Cup against a Liverpool side that was consistently winning the league. Respect? Henry showboating against us at Highbury.....WHACK! Safri lets him have one: "Boo Hoo! that nasty man in Yellow has just hurt me Referee"! He weren''t so cocky after that was he! Arrogance and petulance need to be taught a lesson, and I admire Youssef for addressing the situation.  Yeah! Henry is a quality player, but in the last World Cup and Euro Championships- he and the French side, couldn''t hack the the aggressive opposition they faced, and therefore bowed out with a whimper.

I don''t condone career threatening tackles or sheer brutality,  but if Henry had known that Safri was going to stalk him around the pitch for 90+ minutes, he wouldn''t have been extracting the urine and playing to the crowd or ''Va Va Vooming''! Sheff Utd played the right way against them in the Cup and were desperately unlucky.   Vinnie Jones was not the stylish and quality player that graced the hallowed turfs of the ''big clubs'', but he certainly sorted out their "Prima donnas" and their so called ''Hardmen''.

Fair play league for the remainder of our games? "My Hearse!".....Let''s go down all guns blazing! Where are our players that can impose themselves in the game?

As Cpl Jones of ''Dads Army'' fame said to Captain Mainwaring: "They don''t like it up ''em!" OTBC ;~) 

[quote]No, my opinion remain the same. You can still have style and get results, you just need the players/management/coaching to do so.[/quote]

We don''t have the right players to play like Man U, Arsenal etc though, which is why we should have made ourselves hard to beat.  Arsenal must have been licking there lips before last Saturday''s game.  The knew they we would sit deep and they could pass the ball around at will, with plenty of time and space while we backed off them.

We allow teams to play good football against us and we should be making it harder for them to do so.  I''m not advocating playing like Wimbledon or Jack Charlton''s Ireland but we have been very naïve in our tactics this year.  You do whats necessary to get the job done. Ask any Man U fan if they care that against Bayern in Champions League Final, they finished the game by bringing on Sheringham and launching the ball upfield.  I bet they are disgusted.

It is highly unlikely that any team will come into the Premier League and "out-play" the established teams.  You need to be organised, strong and hard working, then you can start to think about playing attractive football.

Points on the board are all that count in my mind,

style or results

sorry, but style wins everytime, sadly though we are getting neither - and won''t until someone radically oversees the coaching and tactics at colney

this especially applies to the prem - we are being found out and paying for it in losses and inadequate tactics

rather than buying any new players in i would dearly love to see those remaining with us learning the basics

and worthy, please practice what you preach and start to play football the way it was meant to be played, ie - on the floor

I do agree Gazza and I would love to see City play in style but I would rather be in the Premier League than not.  I just find it hard to beleive that some of you guys would rather be in the Fizzy League than grind out some results. 

Getting results breeds the confidence to play better football.