Sign in to follow this  
Berks canary

after 49 years - it's goodnight from me

Very sad, but true.

I''m not renewing this year. Many reasons, but still sad.

Thanks for your post, was sad but good to read.

Cheers

I can understand the frustration of supporters, but at the end of the day I have been supporting Norwich since 1959 and I will be there next season be it Championship or League 1.  Everyone has to make their own mind up whether to continue supporting Norwich next season.  I always go to the game expecting to see us win, and sometimes I do, and at present often I don''t.  I use to get upset about it, and was best left alone, but nowadays I realise it is after all just a game of football.  Norwich City is, and will always be, a part of my life and I enjoy my day out with like minded friends and therefore I will continue to do so for a few years yet.  Being a supporter is watching your club through the bad times as well as the good times.

[quote user="Sir Digby Chicken Ceasar"]

Your post has struck a cord with me reference your dad taking you to your first game.

I''ve been supporting Norwich for 31 years, my first match was when i was ten. I''ve had a season ticket since 91 and have had some great times home and away. I''ve been taking my son for the last two years and this renewal was the first time i have considered jacking it in for all the points mentioned above. However, my boy (who is seven) loves it, all he''s seen is c**p football and not many wins, he''s dissapointed, but still asks me on a saturday, is it football this afternoon dad?  So he''s the one who is keeping me going. He''ll probably blame me later in life for starting all the misery, but i admire his loyalty to the team and at seven he doesn''t understand the poor management of our club and the way it''s being run into the ground, which i''m extremely sad about,  he just enjoys going with his dad on a saturday afternoon. I hope for his sake the good times return, i doubt it, but i hope it does................         

[/quote]

I know the way you meant it Sir Digby but you and I both know that, for your son these are the good times. You and I both know that thirty years from now  (when he''s taking his young ones ) he will be telling them about the memories he had with his Dad. Delia Smith and Glenn Roeder won''t be top of his mind in those stories, but you will.

"Old Shuck" Hold on ''fella, BC has a choice what to do with his time and money, it doesn''t mean that the club aren''t in his blood, or he doesn''t care.

I wouldn''t say being "in your blood" translates as to listening to the radio on a Saturday for the last twenty years.

Of course it''s a matter of personal choice.  But I havn''t supported Norwich over the years purely on the proviso that they stay in the top two tiers of the game.  In fact, when I stood on the terraces as a boy they were far from that level.

As for quoting Shankly''s "life or death."  Of course it isn''t. Never has been. 

That bit comes tommorow morning when I have to decide whether to take a driver or a 5 wood off the first tee. 

[quote user="Mind the gap"]

It''s goodnight to you........and good riddance!!!!!!!

Don''t agree with your emotional waffle at all. You say you have been glued to your radio for years. Big deal!!!!!!!!!

I live just 15 miles from you,am ten years older,have held a season ticket for over forty years,and also go to most away matches.

I will be doing the same next season.......and the next.  I could have had a nice villa in the sun ,on the money I have spent following Norwich over the years.

Every game is an eight hour experience from west London.  And quite expensive,with the petrol,food and drink.  But it''s been worth it.

Yes it is a shambles at the moment,and the situation has been in decline for some years now. We know the faults,and there are many. Doesn''t need an Einstein to tell us.

But it''s either in your blood or it isn''t.  I will go on watching my team no matter what division they are in. This is not just blind faith. Just what I enjoy doing despite the

ups and (mainly) downs.

So suggest you go shopping on a Sat afternoon,have a latte and a blueberry muffin,and listen for the Man Utd result on your   ipod.

[/quote]

Hear hear!

[quote user="Nuff Said"]BC, I admire your devotion to the cause, and respect your decision, but starting a thread that encourages Cluck back on this board? Unforgiveable! [:(]

[/quote]

Cluck made his point when it was necessary.... now it isn''t needed or warranted.

However...I still have an issue about Londoners, women in football and students so there''ll be plenty to keep me going I''m sure.

[quote user="Berks canary"]

My father took me to see my first game at Carrow Road 49 years ago for my 5th birthday - I was 54 yesterday and it was in effect the day that for the first time in all these years we condemned ourselves to the third tier of the football league . Although i have lived in Reading for the past 20 years , i have remained an avid City fan . EVERY Saturday afternoon is spent from 2pm to 6pm listening to the match via the internet and Canary call . Well no more - From today i will be filling my Saturdays doing other things - golf , walking the dog , even shopping with my wife ! I can simply no longer put myself through the miserydepression i have felt most Saturday nights for the past 4 years . Although NCFC will be forever in my blood they simply do not deserve my or any of our long suffering supporters support . What has happened this year should have been avoided - I blame almost in full Glen Roeder for his arrogance and complete mismanagement.

It was Roeder who decided that our best player Huckerby should be booted out of the club for no apparent reason other than his arrogance - it was Roeder who despite knowing that Dion was leaving in April , also kicked out any other striker we had at the club ( Strivaka , Martin, Chris Brown ) and didn''t replace any of them - He left us with the embarrassment of fielding a midfielder Russell as our main striker for much of the season.In fact we did not have any recognised goalscorer until Lita came and without him we would already be adrift . It was Roeder who sold Shackell to Wolves and didn''t replace - so much so that we were left playing midfielders as Centre Backs for much of the season .It was Roeder who filled our ranks with loan players who would not have the stomach for a relegation fight . HOW ON EARTH DID HE EXPECT TO WIN FOOTBALL GAMES !!!

I do not think Gunny is up to it but the die was already cast - the fact he got the job on the back of one win was typical of the shallow cost cutting thinking of the board. It is frankly a disgrace that with 25000 crowds each week we seem to be outsmarted by the likes of Donacaster , Preston and Blackpool and many other clubs with far less resources!

So i am not happy to say the club have lost my support - i cannot support Reading or any other club - but Saturday''s at least will be a lot less painful from now on . After 49 years i''m hanging up my boots !

[/quote]Fully understand how you are feeling BC. You have summed up the deep damage that Roeder did perfectly. And the senior management and Board allowed it under the guise of not interfering with team matters. What about efficient use of precious assets? "How on earth did he expect to win games?" There is a view that given the payoff he knew he would get, he didn''t care whether he did or he didn''t. (Nevermind. I suspect you and I are not real fans at all are we? As the likes of Mind the Gap have pointed out, the fact we haven''t been able to afford the time, money or been able to abandon family commitments to commute to every home game shows that you know).

when such a long standing supporter decides enough is enough then it really indicates to younger supporters just how bad it must be!

Certainly in my time supporting the club (almost 20 years) we''ve seen some rubbish but even im wondering if it can get any worse than now.

jas :)

Agree with this post 100% - I saw my first game 20 years ago and am feeling pretty dispondent with the way our club has fallen - the fight has slowly drained away over the years and from the games I have seen this season the players look like they couldn''t care less which division we are in next term.

Whilst I used to go to 15+ away games and 8+ home games each season I have got to the point now where I can''t face spending over £100 per game to go and watch the rubbish which has been presented over the last couple of seasons. 

Goodbye season ticket, been a supporter since 1989 going regularly season ticket holder for the last five years. Just totally gutted with the way things have been delt with The only way that I feel that I can make a stand is not to renew next year.

i have tried to not renew but unfortnately norwich city is in my blood and i cant let go! i am not happy that we are heading for league one but have accepted it. it is wholey unbelievable that we are now where we are - only 4 years ago we were on cloud 9 and now we are all on prozac!!

[quote user="VAUX"]

Goodbye season ticket, been a supporter since 1989 going regularly season ticket holder for the last five years. Just totally gutted with the way things have been delt with The only way that I feel that I can make a stand is not to renew next year.

[/quote]

I totally understand that and your reasons, after all it''s your choice not to renew, or to renew and no one should question that.

We have renewed after much heart searching and only done this to keep money flowing into the club, without ST money from the fans there will be no club, it''s a simple as that, however we will boycott matches again, and make sure that no one sits in our seats and the board see empty seats, but two alone won''t have much impact, so more need to do the same thing if they so choose.

It''s a sad time for us fans that''s for sure.  Never seen such lack of hope in fans eyes, such heartache from fans who have been going 10, 20, & 30+ years saying they can''t face going anymore, and such apathetic and passionless players on the pitch who 90% of the time don''t deserve to wear our colours.

These really are sad times for Norwich supporters. I totally understand where you are coming from Berks as i know other people who feel exactly the same. I have renewed my season ticket, call me what you want but i have been going since 1980 and just cant drop my passion for following my team whether its the premiership or 3rd tier of football. Ive seen the good times and the bad times, its just such a shame it has come to this.

Following city is part of my life and will only stop attending matches when i physically cant make it i.e ill health.

[quote user="Berks canary"]

My father took me to see my first game at Carrow Road 49 years ago for my 5th birthday - I was 54 yesterday and it was in effect the day that for the first time in all these years we condemned ourselves to the third tier of the football league . Although i have lived in Reading for the past 20 years , i have remained an avid City fan . EVERY Saturday afternoon is spent from 2pm to 6pm listening to the match via the internet and Canary call . Well no more - From today i will be filling my Saturdays doing other things - golf , walking the dog , even shopping with my wife ! I can simply no longer put myself through the miserydepression i have felt most Saturday nights for the past 4 years . Although NCFC will be forever in my blood they simply do not deserve my or any of our long suffering supporters support . What has happened this year should have been avoided - I blame almost in full Glen Roeder for his arrogance and complete mismanagement.

It was Roeder who decided that our best player Huckerby should be booted out of the club for no apparent reason other than his arrogance - it was Roeder who despite knowing that Dion was leaving in April , also kicked out any other striker we had at the club ( Strivaka , Martin, Chris Brown ) and didn''t replace any of them - He left us with the embarrassment of fielding a midfielder Russell as our main striker for much of the season.In fact we did not have any recognised goalscorer until Lita came and without him we would already be adrift . It was Roeder who sold Shackell to Wolves and didn''t replace - so much so that we were left playing midfielders as Centre Backs for much of the season .It was Roeder who filled our ranks with loan players who would not have the stomach for a relegation fight . HOW ON EARTH DID HE EXPECT TO WIN FOOTBALL GAMES !!!

I do not think Gunny is up to it but the die was already cast - the fact he got the job on the back of one win was typical of the shallow cost cutting thinking of the board. It is frankly a disgrace that with 25000 crowds each week we seem to be outsmarted by the likes of Donacaster , Preston and Blackpool and many other clubs with far less resources!

So i am not happy to say the club have lost my support - i cannot support Reading or any other club - but Saturday''s at least will be a lot less painful from now on . After 49 years i''m hanging up my boots !

[/quote]

What a good post, right on the pulse. Trouble is BC you know, don''t you (of course you do !), that stopping being a Norwich fan is not an option open to you. Supporting Norwich from boyhood to manhood is akin to alcoholism, once you''re hooked you''re damned for ever, doen''t matter whether or not you touch another drop.

[quote user="Neil Cluckcaster"]

[quote user="Nuff Said"]BC, I admire your devotion to the cause, and respect your decision, but starting a thread that encourages Cluck back on this board? Unforgiveable! [:(][/quote]

Cluck made his point when it was necessary.... now it isn''t needed or warranted.

However...I still have an issue about Londoners, women in football and students so there''ll be plenty to keep me going I''m sure.

[/quote]Had to laugh - are you finally not taking yourself too seriously? [;)]Humour is about all we have left!

I''ve just sat and read through this thread and I''ve got to admit it, tears welled up in my eyes.   Those tears were for the memories of walking over Trowse bridge with my dear old Dad to watch City play.   I too have followed City through thick and thin for nearly 40yrs and I too have almost lost all hope.   But my Dad lit a fire that burns within in me for Norwich.   I could''ve ended up being a plastic Manc, a mockney or worse still, a proper Plastic Scouser....but no I''ve been schooled in the love of Norwich and despite what''s happening I''ll always support the team in yellow & green.However, if he were alive today, my Dad would be in exactly the same situation as Berks Canary.  He''d have cancelled his season ticket for the umpteenth time but then sure as night follows day, he''d be creeping back to Carra Rud tail between his legs because he too had a fire burning in his heart, one that, try as they might, the likes of Delia & Co can''t extinguish. I''m as miserable as hell at the moment & yes, I''ve pretty well lost all hope that we''ll avoid the drop BUT that won''t stop me following them in the LDV/Johnstone Paints trophy or the early rounds of the FA Cup.      I''ve seen the promised land and I know we can go back there, one day...[U]

[quote user="Plastic Scouser"]I''ve just sat and read through this thread and I''ve got to admit it, tears welled up in my eyes.   Those tears were for the memories of walking over Trowse bridge with my dear old Dad to watch City play.   I too have followed City through thick and thin for nearly 40yrs and I too have almost lost all hope.   But my Dad lit a fire that burns within in me for Norwich.   I could''ve ended up being a plastic Manc, a mockney or worse still, a proper Plastic Scouser....but no I''ve been schooled in the love of Norwich and despite what''s happening I''ll always support the team in yellow & green.

However, if he were alive today, my Dad would be in exactly the same situation as Berks Canary.  He''d have cancelled his season ticket for the umpteenth time but then sure as night follows day, he''d be creeping back to Carra Rud tail between his legs because he too had a fire burning in his heart, one that, try as they might, the likes of Delia & Co can''t extinguish.

I''m as miserable as hell at the moment & yes, I''ve pretty well lost all hope that we''ll avoid the drop BUT that won''t stop me following them in the LDV/Johnstone Paints trophy or the early rounds of the FA Cup.      I''ve seen the promised land and I know we can go back there, one day...[U]
[/quote]

Well said Plastic, it brought a tear to my eye too.

It may be a dark night now but I am confident there will be a dawn