Sign in to follow this  
Tim Allman

Postcard from Blackpool

We are all in Blackpool this weekend, my two daughters and Lucy who is seriously starting to doubt my sanity in following Norwich. This is the second game this season that Lucy has been to (the other was MK away), so she’s got a 100% record this season, no wins and no goals.

Soon after the game, I posted on Wrath of the Barclay from the hotel pc that at all our efforts on target had been from defenders which summed up our game perfectly. Three quarters of the back four had decent games – they had to be on their best as the ball was passed through the midfield with embarrassing ease on a number of occasions. Both Russell and Clingan didn’t have much idea how to combat this, and with Bertrand having a quiet game and Croft covering for the quarter of our defence that didn’t turn up again we were over-run in the middle.

Up front Cort looked lost, disinterested and jaded, and Wes was trying too hard to impress, twisting and turning and trying his tricks, but they were all too far from the Blackpool goal, and he kept losing the ball much to the delight of the Blackpool crowd who booed him mercilessly all afternoon.

We had a couple of decent shots blocked, Crofty had a long range effort which went wide, but apart from a couple of passages of all too brief possession City didn’t look like scoring and rarely threatened.

Given the chances, the number of times the ball had bounced around the Norwich goal and somehow stayed out, I was pleased to get to half time level, but realised that the second half, against the wind was going to be a hard slog which required balls, determination and a will to win, none of which were remotely in evidence in the first half. We could have replaced some of our players with a few of the waxworks from the Madame Tussards on the sea-front and they would have shown more application.

Although Blackpool’s opening goal was a fluke it had been coming, and the five minutes or so leading up to the goal, we were starting to look disorganised, jittery and panicky at the back. The second goal was well taken and fully deserved by Blackpool.

As regards the players at least we have Fotheringham back, but he was wearing Clingan’s shirt and spoke with a Northern Irish accent and not a Scottish one. Shackell had another decent game, and was the best of a very mediocre bunch. We could have done with Matty P out there, but for whatever reason he is completely out of favour. Our subs ran around a bit, looking interested enough to earn their money but not interested enough to want to keep us in the Championship, but in truth they were not better or worse than the players they replaced.

I promised Lucy that whatever the result I would not sulk for the rest of the weekend, and just as the effect of my pre-match Stellas at the Swift Hound were wearing off and my mood was starting to turn nasty, we went back for a couple of pre-nosh liveners before a very convivial evening at Frankie & Benny’s and the football was forgotten. Sunday was spent at the Pleasure Beach which was virtually empty and we got to go on each of the roller coasters about five times each.

We have no chance of getting out of the mess we are in playing the way we did on Saturday. League 1 awaits.

disappointed by the blackpool no-show to say the least,,,we made them look like worldbeaters - but they hadn''t scored in 3 their previous 3 games,,,gotta be changes for tomoz night re cardiff...else it will be a stroll in the park for the bluebirds,,,

At least you drank in the favourite pub of The Hooligan, Swift Hound in Rigby Road before he and Chubs moved on to the Ex Servicemen''s Club in Lytham.

That was then, of course.

Difficult not to work out how we go off-topic so easily....Wes Hoolahan''s favourite watering hole in Blackpool and Rollorcoasters all in the same thread.

The Big One was closed due to the high winds which was a shame but understandable so my favourite ride would have been the Big Dipper - it''s an old wooden bone-shaker rollercoaster, not the best one of its type I''ve been to though - that would be "The Incredible" in Lightwater Valley in Yorkshire, through "Zeus" in Parc Asterix (north east of Paris) runs it a close second.

Yeah we did get off topic a little didn''t we, but then again the players forgot why they were there on Sat, so why cant we :)

OTBC

[quote user="Yellafella"]

Yeah we did get off topic a little didn''t we, but then again the players forgot why they were there on Sat, so why cant we :)

OTBC

[/quote]

You want rides, try The Hulk in Islands of Adventure, Duelling dragons, Aerosmiths ride and The Mummy''s Revenge, Universal Studios, or Sheekra in Busch Gardens, make the coasters here look like tiny tots rides lol