Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

At what point does Gunn become accountable?

[quote user=" Baldrick"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[quote user=" Baldrick"]Gunn was only ever there to feed the bullshi* on behalf of the board to sell  season tickets and most people have fallen for it.[/quote]

So what do you suggest?  That people should stop paying into the club, you can slate the fans who have or don''t have season tickets, but ST holders and those who buy tickets on the day might be the difference between keeping the club afloat and not.

So for example we all stop going, how long do you think the club would remain?

[/quote]

At the current rate about as long as if we all continue to go. The brick wall  is fast approaching. If you haven''t noticed.

[/quote]

You haven''t really answered the question, maybe that''s because not you nor no one else has the answers.

The brick wall has been approaching for years, I''m braced for the inpact are you?

[quote user="Superflash"]I refuse to blame Gunn. We''re not just talking about any club legend here, we are talking about Mr.Norwich himself. If anything, good on him for taking on the job.

The appointments of Grant and Roeder by the board are what has caused the club to decline. Their laughable tactics and rubbish signings combined with the board spunking our money into the abyss have taken us from a B+/A- type Championship team into one staring division 3 in the face. Gunn''s tactics have been questionable at times and some of his loanees thus far have not hit their potential or anywhere close to it. But I find it appalling that the likes of Wizard who previously backed him are now turning their back on him. I have no hint of doubt in my mind that Gunn has gotten better results for us than what Roeder could have. That pillock has obliterated this club and on the night of the Charlton game there was clearly no other option other than to send him and his shoddy coaching staff packing.

And what of the other options we may have had, cash permitting?

Boothroyd: May perhaps have gotten a couple more points on the board. But with money needed just to get him to sign a contract (And for Malky, which would''ve likely involved a compensation package being paid to our rivals in the table) that would mean he had even LESS money to spend on players than Gunn. Lest we also forget that despite having more quality in their squad, he still struggled towards the end of his Watford tenure.

Ince: Roeder mk II. His short temper following the drivel that the players experienced under Roeder would probably see relegated right NOW. Does have good experience in the lower leagues, but he seemingly buckled under the pressure in the Premier League and I don''t think he''d cope too well with a similarly high pressure situation here as he''d have even less quality to pick from than he had at Blackburn. Actually, even the Dons players would''ve probably had more about them than some of our squad.

Dowie: I don''t care much for the fact he''s managed rival teams, but his recent record is poor. I don''t think he''d be able to arrest our slump with the lack of quality in our team. By lack of quality, I don''t mean they are totally useless as every now and then they CAN deliver, but they don''t do it consistently enough.

In short? There is no other option. There were other names discussed who either weren''t interested or those who were simply too far fetched. Despite this, I''d still have picked Gunn over the names above. Even if we''re looking at possible relegation, I will not suddenly change my opinion of a great, great man just because things are tough. Actually, I''d be overjoyed for the man if he proved all the doubters wrong and kept us up. Which I''m sure we''d all be pleased with anyway, but it''d be particularly sweet to see those who backed him at first, only to doubt him now suddenly change their opinion once again.
[/quote]

Agree 100% with your post. I have no doubt Gunny is and will prove to be a much better manager (given the chance) than Roeder, Ince and Dowie ever could be.  No decent manager in their right mind, looking at our feeble dispirited and doomed squad of miscreants and loan signings would''ve wanted to come here for a pitence and have relegation stamped on their CV into the bargain, Bothroyd included (having failed ultimately at watford and then taking us down would''ve finished his career. Considering the incredibly steep learning curve he''s had, only Blackpool stands out as a shambles. Tomorrow is a huge test but if we fail then there is only one place to look for accountability, that is so obviously at boardroom level.

[quote user="Saint Canary"]I think he is already accountable to be honest.  He has signed 7 players and not one of them have had any impact.

I do however feel that even Jose Mourinho, Arsene Wenger and Alex Ferguson would have all struggled to turn our situation around from the position that Gunn got the job.  At the time he was given the job there was just 10 days left of the transfer window, we had massive holes in the squad, no striker who can score goals and a defence that ships goals for fun.  Lets be frank we were desperate just for numbers let alone  qaulity and if only having 10 days to sort it all out wasn''t enough of a problem, he had no money with which to do it.  I can''t think that his hands could possibly have been more tied.  Were shopping in the bargain bin, it''s no suprise we got some dented tins.

Even if we get relegated I would stick with this management team for at least another.  The club is in desperate need of some continuity and stability and you can''t expect City''s deep rooted problems to be sorted out by anyone in just a few months.  The chronic neglect that the footballing side has received in recent seasons is going to take a season or more to start to put right.

In some ways the prospect of just staying in this league scares me more than relegation.  If we just somehow manage to stay up, I just see more of the same to come next season.  At least if we go down, we can almost start again, give some youngsters a chance and hopefully start to build a team than can grow over a few seasons.  To be honest, I find that far more appealing than the prospect of seeing more short-term fixes, papering over the cracks and another relegation battle. 
[/quote]

Once again, I’ll remind you that as head of player recruitment Gunn shares some responsibility for the team he inherited.

Quite so , Killen and Gow both linked in the summer but neither ended up here , as soon as Gunn gets the job they are here.

[quote user="coops"]As soon as he accepted the job. If he was a real fan he wouldn''t have taken the job. He is massively out of his depth and just like the losers who managed the team before just simply cannot motivate the team. I think he thought he would be the saviour but its looking not one iota different than it was under Roeder. More loans, more scottish players who we know can''t play football and it took all that time to figure out Fozzy was no good. Please someone rescue us![/quote]

Swings and roundabouts of football!  It took Crooky no time at all to decide that Fozzy was a waste of space.  Lee Clark thought Jamie "had gone" within a matter of weeks but The Monster gave him more chances than his Assistant. Just before you shipped the lad out to Barnsley he made overtures to the hapless U''s.[+o(]

Talking about Scots, as you are, there is a Manager in the current Championship playoffs who had a look at your goalkeeper and who declared: "Typical bleedin'' Scottish goalkeeper.  You''ve no idea what is going to happen next.  They frighten you to death....is he going to get the ball or............

[:D]

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user=" Baldrick"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[quote user=" Baldrick"]Gunn was only ever there to feed the bullshi* on behalf of the board to sell  season tickets and most people have fallen for it.[/quote]

So what do you suggest?  That people should stop paying into the club, you can slate the fans who have or don''t have season tickets, but ST holders and those who buy tickets on the day might be the difference between keeping the club afloat and not.

[/quote]

At the current rate about as long as if we all continue to go. The brick wall  is fast approaching. If you haven''t noticed.

[/quote]

You haven''t really answered the question, maybe that''s because not you nor no one else has the answers.

The brick wall has been approaching for years, I''m braced for the inpact are you?

[/quote]

It is either a slow death or fast and painful cure. The slow death is continue as it is or have in equivalent, a revolution, and clear out the dead wood. What do you want?. The time for change has come I want change but it may come with relegation.   

[quote user="First Wizard"]End of this season, next November? when?[/quote]

He was shoved into the limelight in a cynical ploy by the Board. It''s sad for him and sad for the club but says so much about the desperation being shown by Smith and her cronies.

No doubt if there had been a frail old lady available they would have eased her into the dugout out instead.

They clearly have no shame whatsoever.

[quote user="Neil Cluckcaster"]

He was shoved into the limelight in a cynical ploy by the Board. It''s sad for him and sad for the club but says so much about the desperation being shown by Smith and her cronies.

No doubt if there had been a frail old lady available they would have eased her into the dugout out instead.

[/quote]

That is utter crap even by your awesome standard.  He ASKED for the job, rang Crook and Co in a 12 hours ahead continent to make a "package" for your club, and then presented it.

At NO TIME did the Board ask him to do the job.  He Applied to Them.  No call from them, not one. 

YOUR front man on a successor to Roeder was to get Munby to ask if Worthington was available on a part time basis (a story Archant appeared to have totally missed).  Unsurprisingly, Worthy nearly wet himself.  Revenge is a dish best served cold?

It may turn out that Gunny was a **** for applying for it.  But he did and will stand or fall by that.

You did NOT approach either Boothroyd or Malkey.  Malkey told us that if you had he would not have taken the job but in any event you didn''t which saved him telling you that.  Boothroyd was out of the country when Roeder went and on a golf course in Spain with the Watford payoff money.

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="Neil Cluckcaster"]

[/quote]

That is utter crap even by your awesome standard.  He ASKED for the job, rang Crook and Co in a 12 hours ahead continent to make a "package" for your club, and then presented it.

At NO TIME did the Board ask him to do the job.  He Applied to Them.  No call from them, not one. 

YOUR front man on a successor to Roeder was to get Munby to ask if Worthington was available on a part time basis (a story Archant appeared to have totally missed).  Unsurprisingly, Worthy nearly wet himself.  Revenge is a dish best served cold?

It may turn out that Gunny was a **** for applying for it.  But he did and will stand or fall by that.

You did NOT approach either Boothroyd or Malkey.  Malkey told us that if you had he would not have taken the job but in any event you didn''t which saved him telling you that.  Boothroyd was out of the country when Roeder went and on a golf course in Spain with the Watford payoff money.

[/quote]

What the hell do you know? Why do you come on here with all this crap? The club aren''t honest to their own fans, do you really expect them to tell everything to "the girl upstairs"?

Absolute bollocks, of course the club asked Gunn to do the job.

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]

What the hell do you know? Why do you come on here with all this crap? The club aren''t honest to their own fans, do you really expect them to tell everything to "the girl upstairs"?

[/quote]

What does Cam know? He''s a locally based journalist with excellent contacts - as opposed to you, some clown on a messageboard. Come on Cam! You must know how this place works by now! Alex, Cluck and others will make up all kinds of nonsense based entirely on their prejudices; if you don''t agree with them, you''re a head in the sand Percy Positive who''s brought this all on yourself.

Gunn talked with his family at some length after the Barnsley game; then went to the trouble of contacting Crook and Deehan, in order to present a proper application to the board. The board didn''t expect it to happen, they didn''t ask for it - but were delighted when it did. I don''t think this present board could run a bath, and the responsibility for what is now pretty much inevitable lies entirely with them; but it is shameful, absolutely shameful, when trollers and idiots use Gunn''s appointment to smear and defame them just for the hell of it, and so they can get a little bit of attention in their sad little lives.

[quote user="First Wizard"][ its now getting ruddy hard to still back him[/quote]

Translation: "I''ll back him as long as he wins games; if he doesn''t, then despite his total lack of experience and the utter rabble he has to work with, I''ll perform my 5734th sensational about turn this month".

Is self-parody your forte, Wizard? Or is there no beginning to your talents?

[quote user="cityangel"]He''s accountable for the results since he took the job.[/quote]And the players? By all accounts Saturdays attitude was dire. The current selection  isn''t working and has to radically change4-3-1-2 tonight. Attack attack attack

[quote user="Chunky Canary"]

[quote user="Saint Canary"]I think he is already accountable to be honest.  He has signed 7 players and not one of them have had any impact.I do however feel that even Jose Mourinho, Arsene Wenger and Alex Ferguson would have all struggled to turn our situation around from the position that Gunn got the job.  At the time he was given the job there was just 10 days left of the transfer window, we had massive holes in the squad, no striker who can score goals and a defence that ships goals for fun.  Lets be frank we were desperate just for numbers let alone  qaulity and if only having 10 days to sort it all out wasn''t enough of a problem, he had no money with which to do it.  I can''t think that his hands could possibly have been more tied.  Were shopping in the bargain bin, it''s no suprise we got some dented tins.Even if we get relegated I would stick with this management team for at least another.  The club is in desperate need of some continuity and stability and you can''t expect City''s deep rooted problems to be sorted out by anyone in just a few months.  The chronic neglect that the footballing side has received in recent seasons is going to take a season or more to start to put right.In some ways the prospect of just staying in this league scares me more than relegation.  If we just somehow manage to stay up, I just see more of the same to come next season.  At least if we go down, we can almost start again, give some youngsters a chance and hopefully start to build a team than can grow over a few seasons.  To be honest, I find that far more appealing than the prospect of seeing more short-term fixes, papering over the cracks and another relegation battle.  [/quote]

Once again, I’ll remind you that as head of player recruitment Gunn shares some responsibility for the team he inherited.

[/quote]And you honestly think that a man like Roeder with his arrogant personality would allow himself to be dictated to about who to sign by Gunn?  Let''s face it, Gunn was head of player recruitment, he was not a scout.  All Gunn was doing was a trumpted up admin role, phoning around clubs asking who was available and then relaying that information.  He had no power or influence over who signed.

[quote user="thebigfeller"][quote user="alex_ncfc"]

[/quote]

What does Cam know? He''s a locally based journalist with excellent contacts - as opposed to you, some clown on a messageboard. Come on Cam! You must know how this place works by now! Alex, Cluck and others will make up all kinds of nonsense based entirely on their prejudices; if you don''t agree with them, you''re a head in the sand Percy Positive who''s brought this all on yourself.

Gunn talked with his family at some length after the Barnsley game; then went to the trouble of contacting Crook and Deehan, in order to present a proper application to the board. The board didn''t expect it to happen, they didn''t ask for it - but were delighted when it did. I don''t think this present board could run a bath, and the responsibility for what is now pretty much inevitable lies entirely with them; but it is shameful, absolutely shameful, when trollers and idiots use Gunn''s appointment to smear and defame them just for the hell of it, and so they can get a little bit of attention in their sad little lives.

[/quote]

Mmmmmmmmm................ !? You seem very sure about that. I have my doubts. I have to say that he is very nimble at copying links and articles from elsewhere and pasting them on this MB (almost like a dog bringing a bone to his master with tail wagging in anticipation of praise which of course he duly recives from some of the regulars) but "good old Cam" spends so much time on here (who knows why) you have to wonder how he has the time and why he does it because, after all, he isn''t a Norwich fan and, of course,  he has all those contacts to cutivate and nurture. No need to be insulting just because you don''t agree with another poster.

[quote user="MonkeyTrousers"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

He''s always been accountable mate, ever since the took the reigns, along with the players, and the board.

But starting anti Gunn threads won''t change our position.

[/quote]

Whoa mate, it isn''t anti anything, it was a serious question, I asked, as someone who didn''t want him as manager, and although I''ve said he has my support, its now getting ruddy hard to still back him, I still do but.....................

[/quote]

Interesting.  Only a month ago, you claimed you''d back him even if he lost every single game.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

He''s transformed the atmosphere around the club, an atmosphere that makes City unique amongst clubs. If we''re relegated, my gaze would be directed at Smith, the board and Roeder.

Bryan is just trying to repair their damage...........and it might take some time to fix!

[/quote]

Typical nonsense from you, Wizzy.

You''re honestly saying if we lost every remaining league game this season, you would still support Gunn as the manager?

[/quote]

Yes, because he started his job with the damage already done!

[/quote]

[/quote]

You''re 100% correct Monkey, but this thread isn''t about backing him or not is it?

Its soley about his accountability.

And I never said I''d back him if he lost every single game, I''ve highlighted in blue what I actually said..........read it!

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="Neil Cluckcaster"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You seem to know the lot sunshine... so dwell in your pseudo journalistic dreamworld.

Some of us have alternative information which begs to differ. He was prompted to make his move and then sought those who could help him deflect the negativity heading the clubs'' way. Bring in some popular names from the past and the plebs will sit quietly.

Perhaps having so many other clubs to support you are getting a little ahead of yourself. Or perhaps you are a little miffed that you weren''t offered the job? You certainly come across as stupid enough.

[quote user="Neil Cluckcaster"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="Neil Cluckcaster"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You seem to know the lot sunshine... so dwell in your pseudo journalistic dreamworld.

Some of us have alternative information which begs to differ. He was prompted to make his move and then sought those who could help him deflect the negativity heading the clubs'' way. Bring in some popular names from the past and the plebs will sit quietly.

Perhaps having so many other clubs to support you are getting a little ahead of yourself. Or perhaps you are a little miffed that you weren''t offered the job? You certainly come across as stupid enough.

[/quote]

Ain ''t that the truth!

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user=" Baldrick"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Your ruddy ant is doing my head in 49, can you stamp on him please?[;)]

[quote user="First Wizard"]Your ruddy ant is doing my head in 49, can you stamp on him please?[;)][/quote]As you are "anti" everything else wiz, why not "anti-ant"? [;)]

Back on Topic

I don''t think Gunn would become accountable in my eyes until he has had a chance to put together his own team of kids and hasbeens for the League one season, probably October November and to be honest even then I find it very hard to look beyond the incompetence of the board / lack of funding. I honestly cant imagine a better candidate prepared to take the job currently.