Sign in to follow this  
WestMidlandCanary

A time for new heroes?

Unlike a lot of posters on here, I haven''t been a lifelong City fan. I had no allegiance to any football team before coming to work in Norfolk between 97 and 99 and watched them pretty much every home game in that period before returning to the midlands. Consequently I can''t comment on the City teams of old but I do know that some of the players I''ve seen between the late nineties and now would be stunned at what our team has become. Even the sides playing in front of 13,000 had their own heroes, despite them maybe leaving under a cloud later.

It''s obvious now that the majority of this side bear no loyalty to the club whatsoever and will be off to either their home club or another side as soon as we are confirmed as down - whether they are good enough or not is irrelevant: in theirs and their agents minds, they believe they have what it takes to play Championship football and I would strongly beg to differ. I think this trend started for the most part on relegation from the Prem in 05, where players that would more than likely have seen us straight back up either decided to go or were sold off. Fulham, as bad as it was, would maybe have been largely forgiven if the side had stayed together and done the business for us.

Roeder was right in that we would identify with a new breed of heroes following Huck''s exit but - unfortunately - we simply don''t have any. The likes of (to my mind) Iwan, Malky, Edworthy, McVeigh, Hucks, Svensson who on their day simply didn''t know when to give up, no longer exist in the club. Only Doc really does show that kind of attitude but I fear even he may decide to go elsewhere. Now is as good a time as any to play anything different to what we have - kids, whatever - because I''d rather go down with a side playing with no fear than see 9 more Fulham-esque performances before the end of the season. The time for new heroes is now.

OTBC

Let''s hope Gunn has figured out the right ingredients for the team, and that these 2 new strikers prove to be something more than flashes in the pan.  We have the midfield talent, it just has to be arranged properly, it seems.  We genuinely need a striker or 2 to replace Lita and Lupoli, both of whom seemed to score often enough when on the pitch. I don''t know why our defense is so consistently bad season ofter season, but maybe if there was some help further up the field their weaknesses would not be exposed as often.  

As an optimist, I prefer to think Gunn has been trying to figure out the best formula, and what he came up with on Tuesday is it.  If the team looks like crap on Saturday they way they did at Blackpool following the win at QPR, then you know there is something wrong with the way Gunn is motivating the players.  That he is willing to make changes and call players out makes me think Gunn is not going to make pointless, stupid moves the way Roeder and Grant seemed to do on a regular basis. Cureton scored 3?  Tell him he''s not good enough. The team won?  Tell them it doesn''t matter because they all suck.  Yah, that oughtta clear their heads and get them to work even harder. Fricking morons, Roeder and Grant. We just got hammered, but that was MY lineup, so I have to give them another chance to show everybody I know what I''m doing. UGH!

I have this feeling that you may well of seen someone who has the makings of the "New Hero" on Tuesday night Cody MacDonald.

He has all the makings of a Roy of the Rovers type character, rags to riches etc

Only time will tell, but I think he is your man