Sign in to follow this  
SNAP

Chris Killen - New Zealand International!

A friend of mine in Scotland last night described Chris Killen as living proof that to become a New Zealand football international you simply need to know that the ball is round instead of egg shaped and to be pants at rugby preferring not get your hands dirty. Sounds about right now that we’ve seen him. Wee Gordon Strachen has a lot to answer for in recommending him to us. I wonder if we checked him out before taking him or simply “did a Bryan Hamilton” and watched him on YouTube.

Hang on a minute - didn''t Dean Coney emigrate to New Zealand and start a family?

That did use to be the case and probably is true of players killen''s age. However most schools over there have English coaches now and some of the top private schools have set up academies. So the standard is becoming much higher. 

OTBC

There''s only about 27 people in the whole country and most of them are half wits so wouldn''t be too hard to make the national teamStunning country full of idiots. Showgirls, The Whitehouse and Mermaids.....

IBA - many people in the rest of the UK might think you were talking about Norfolk if you took the r out of country in what you''ve said. Bet you wouldn''t say that with the All Blacks in front of you.How about a little respect?

It was not so long ago we had a Canadian international playing for us, too, Jim Brennan. Those were the glory days of promotion and Prem.

To be a Canadian international, you have to be pants at hockey, not rugby.

Ryan Nelsen is a solid defender but apart from him, I couldnt name another NZ international expect Killen.

[quote user="SNAP"]

A friend of mine in Scotland last night described Chris Killen as living proof that to become a New Zealand football international you simply need to know that the ball is round instead of egg shaped and to be pants at rugby preferring not get your hands dirty. Sounds about right now that we’ve seen him. Wee Gordon Strachen has a lot to answer for in recommending him to us. I wonder if we checked him out before taking him or simply “did a Bryan Hamilton” and watched him on YouTube.

Hang on a minute - didn''t Dean Coney emigrate to New Zealand and start a family?

[/quote]with a sheep

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="SNAP"]

[/quote]with a sheep[/quote]

or maybe it was FOR a sheep

Before my time I''m afraid but wasn''t there a New Zealand striker we were desperate to sign a few decades ago but the Home Office wouldn''t give him a visa? He was quite a player by all accounts

As an Englishman living in New Zealand, I can saftley assure that almost everything IBA said was true.

By the way. Didn''t mermaids freak you out a little bit?

First post! Long time stalker, first time talker.

[quote user="Gravitys Rainbow"]

As an Englishman living in New Zealand, I can saftley assure that almost everything IBA said was true.

By the way. Didn''t mermaids freak you out a little bit?

First post! Long time stalker, first time talker.

[/quote]Thank you Gravity''s Rainbow. I have to say i was so drunk whenever I was in that particular establishment that I probably freaked them more than vice versa (shame)Its a great place to visit but a very frustrating place to work (NZ - not Mermaids!!) but have enjoyed several good trips there nonetheless. Auckland is pretty cool, Christchurch is.... small.... Dunedin was......shut.Whoever mentioned respect - get a life and a sense of humour.Great if vague memories of ending all nighters in Glorias on Anzac Street

I think you summed it up nicley IBA, and if i knew how to quote, i most certaintly would. A great place to visit, a frustrating place to work. I''ve managed to get through self employed but am rather looking to England''s return at the end of this year. Though I am not one to bash the staggering scenery the country has to offer, I do miss the sense of "Culture", which despite the moanings of some, is still very evident in England. Living in NZ for 5 years only solidifies that. I live in Auckland. It ain''t that cool

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]Before my time I''m afraid but wasn''t there a New Zealand striker we were desperate to sign a few decades ago but the Home Office wouldn''t give him a visa? He was quite a player by all accounts[/quote]Wynton Rufer (not a made-up name...)

Gravity''s rainbow,

I was bought up in south Auckland. Used to play for Papatoetoe AFC. I''m not such a fan of Auckland, except Phia and Manurewa for the surf. Were abouts are you based?

OTBC

To be fair most of the "culture" is maori and rightly so. In my opinion its well represented in the arts/music/museums/politics of the country. European white settlers are a recent footnote in the countries history and this combined with the tiny population makes it utterly incomparable to the culture and history of England. In my opinion Australia is far more shallow when it comes to the type of "culture" as we are used to.

Hmmmm, I don''t think the maori culture is as evident as people will make it out to be. That''s just my opinion.

YellaFella, I live on the North Shore, though I am very familiar with Papatoetoe. Used to practise out there. Can''t say I''m a fan of Auckland myself either, though, it is nice to be able to jump in the car for a couple of hours and come across some of the most idealistic views in the world.

At this point I would like to comment that when we signed him, I, being a resident of Glasgow and fan, indeed season ticket holder, of a well known team in Scottish football (Rangers), informed you all that he was rubbish and I was shot down in flames by ignorant people who immediately informed me that I was wrong despite them (unlike me) not having ever seen him play.

Perhaps my views will be considered more intelligently in future rather than dismissed because they differ from your own opinions? [:|]

[quote user="Grando"]We''d have been better off signing Murray from Flight of the Conchords![/quote]Could you imagine that in the dressing room? ''Team Meeting...''

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="Grando"]We''d have been better off signing Murray from Flight of the Conchords![/quote]Could you imagine that in the dressing room? ''Team Meeting...''[/quote]Marshall - present.Doherty - present.Otsemeboor - not presentFotheringham - never presentetc. etc.

"They''re turning kids into slaves just to make cheaper sneakers,But what''s the real cost, cause the sneakers don''t seem that much cheaper?Why are we still paying so much for sneakers when you got little kid slaves making them?What are your overheads?"

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="Grando"]We''d have been better off signing Murray from Flight of the Conchords![/quote]Could you imagine that in the dressing room? ''Team Meeting...''[/quote]You can just imagine the post-transfer-window meeting... Murray: "Item one: New team members..."Cureton: "Whaddaya mean new team members?"

I imagine in terms of geography, scenery, cultural depth, historical development, and overall structure, Aukland is quite similar to Vancouver.

I grew up in Canada and live in Texas, so England is always very impressive to visit, even places that locals would not consider looking at twice because they are so used to them. A modern mall built into the side of a 900 yr old castle is incredible.  The juxtaposition blows my mind. There is nothing like that in N Am. or Oceana. The 4 hoomes across from our (my grandparent''s) old house on Earlham Road that look different because they were bombed in WWII, that is significant, real history right in our front yard. Old churches in the middle of nowhere, built hundreds of years ago but still standing, and in many cases still in operation.  Outstanding, England!  We cannot compete with that.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

I imagine in terms of geography, scenery, cultural depth, historical development, and overall structure, Aukland is quite similar to Vancouver.

[/quote]Auckland is like Vancouver at 6 a.m..... climate is a lot nicer though. In spite of the rain I really enjoyed Vancouver, still a little shocked at the crack being openly traded on that street where the police turn a blind eye. it seemed to work though, city felt very safe, even in that street. Beautiful forests

Coming from the cold, windy Canadian interior, the Vancouver climate always seemed very nice, so I guess Auckland''s is even better.  Yes, it is the left coast, hipster, drug coddling capital of Canada, that''s for sure. 

[quote user="canaryjock"]

At this point I would like to comment that when we signed him, I, being a resident of Glasgow and fan, indeed season ticket holder, of a well known team in Scottish football (Rangers), informed you all that he was rubbish and I was shot down in flames by ignorant people who immediately informed me that I was wrong despite them (unlike me) not having ever seen him play.

Perhaps my views will be considered more intelligently in future rather than dismissed because they differ from your own opinions? [:|]

[/quote]Prehaps because most people aren''t going to believe a Rangers fan who says a Celtic player is rubbish?I wouldn''t expect anyone to believe my opinion on a Ipswich player, especially if it was poor.