Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

If you pay peanuts, you'll get a monkey!...

There''s an old saying , ''if you pay peanuts, you''ll get a monkey''. Unfortunatley, this seems to be City''s plight at the moment.

To quote Delia (blessings be on her name) ''financial stability is more important then Premiership survival'', or something like that. Well dear, its time to wake up and smell the coffee!.

If you only bid ''peanuts'' for new Premiership standard players, you WILL only get sub standard, no better then we already have. Or worse, lose out compleatly.

Like many fans at the moment, I''m starting to get a little bit edgey about the non arrival of quality players. West Brom, Palace and the likes, are already building for next season, and you know who we''ve got. 1 free, 1 loan and 1 foreign thug (in my opinion!).

Poor bloody Nigel can only do so much with the small budget he surely has. No wonder he keeps missing out to other teams regarding transfers.

Now the wiz can only work so much magic, new players have to have time to settle in, money must, simply must be released to the manager, or its going to be a hard bloody slog ahead. Or can you face another 9 years in the wilderness sweety?.

Permission to panic miss?.

This post seems remarkably similiar to many posted at the start of last season. Why don''t you a little faith in Nigel? He''s said there will be three or four new faces before the start of the season so let''s see how that goes before casting judgement. Also give Safri a break until he''s actually played. He''s a Norwich boy now - you''ve already judged him and found him guilty without even seeing the boy play in yellow and green.

Yeah I fully agree with you Wiz. I dont know if bidding 600.000.00 allegedly for Primus who has just signed a two year deal at Portsmouth is enough. Apparently he is quality admitted by Worthy and Redknap and if that is the case then you have to pay for it. Also with the 1.5 million Sky money surely that could be given as well to Worthy (maybe it is I dont know) because at the end of the day if we were only selected for two live games we would not have had that much money anyway and what we never had we wont miss. Agree with you though Wiz that we need to get our act together pretty sharpish because a lot of other qualtiy players (despite what an earlier posting has said about we have not missed out on any real quality) are being snapped up. I suppose that posting does not rate Hughes and Purse as quality. At the end of the day a million is not a lot of money in todays market and if we have to broach that sort of figure or just above to tet the sort of player of Primus or Marlon Harewood then maybe that is what we will have to do as long as we get them on a contract where if relegated so is the money they are on. If we need another thre players and have to pay a million for each then that is not a lot to come out of our 20 million plus for gettng promoted especially when having saved on Rivers, Easton and Roberts wages.

I think you are right. At the end of the day we have bought just the one player (safri for 500k). We are hearing all the time that Nigel has a small budget (my guess at 2-3mil). It has been reliably stated that we are going to get an extra 15 mil for playing in the premiership (adding tv revenue,ticket sales,merchandise....and taking into account wages). It makes you wander what the hell would have happened if we had not of gone up. There would have been a serious possiblity of administration. Regarding Palace and West Brom, although they have the money, it is apparent that they are having trouble attracting half decent players and therefore I can see us competing with them. The worry I have is that all teams in the premiership last year are much better equipped than us. Our survival hopes will be based on 4 crucial games - Palace h/a and westbrum h/a. It is vital we win the opening fixture

hiya first wiz, sorry if i find your opinions a bit pessimistic, i am just so optimistic about the season ahead and i suppose have never been a total realist

i think we will do okay, i wouldn''t worry about w brom if i were you, most of the ''players'' megson goes for are pretty crap, let''s face it, and if we were to resort to the way they play i would, for one, never enter carrow road again, don''t get me wrong, i love our club passionately, but there are limits to everything

we still have time to buy, i am sure worthy is going to use the far east tour to finally sort things in his mind before finalising his plans. I am more than pleased with bentley and gallagher, and not too sure about safri, but prepared to see what happens there, i see we have made a bid for primus, would be a good buy i reckon

we have no idea how good mckenzie and svensson are going to be with hucks, if just one of them turns out to be really prolific then we have no worries, of course we need to strengthen, and i am sure worthy knows he will have to spend serious money (but we all know, whatever he wants, he always gets .... re hucks eh?) so don''t worry, we''ll be okay

and there is always your magic isn''t there!!!!

I agree with you. I think Worthington should splash out a little bit on players but not too much. I''d say 2m would be the most. Having said that, anyone know that Gary Speed is on a free transfer? He would be a brilliant signing and that would''nt even be for peanuts!

Whilst I''m also a little edgy - I''m keeping the faith. I''ll reserve judgment on Safri until I''ve seen him play a bit more. Whilst Bentley appears a better signing than either Palace or WBA have made yet and to have Gallacher and Green gives us the best combined keepers in the Premiership (in my opinion). I''m sure we''ll all be happier once we see at least one defender brought in. Primus would be a superb buy but can''t see us prising him away - but who knows. Let''s try to keep calm for now. Who would of thought last season would have panned out how it did. I think this season will hold a few similar suprises.

i think we all have faith in worthy and at some point belive he will deliver the goods...wats starting to worry a few pple..including myself is that time is running out to bring the players to club before the start of the season.especially with the malaysia tour coming up.

Appreciate your point ''4eva'' but I''d rather the club takes it''s time and gets the ''right'' players than buys left,right and center just to get names on the sheet. What''s always been evident with ''NCFC - the Worthington Years'', is the team spirit in the club - on and off the pitch. Iwans new book makes this all the more apparant , and it will be a few points if the club can retain this. That means ensuring the players we add are ''right'' for NCFC though.

That said I am eagerly scanning all the sites as much as everyone else and hoping the ''right'' players will sign soon, so they can get used to the set up before the start of the season.

I knew we wouldn''t spend a lot this summer, but I hoped we would have spent a bit more than we have at the moment. In part I do agree with you Wiz. If we want quality we are going to have to pay for it. However, in my opinion it is foolish to spend money which we simply don''t have. I would absolutely love us to go out and spend £5/6M on really good quality players. However, we can''t do that.

I''d like to think we are in a period of transition under Nige, Delia and the board. I hope are moving from a "hopeful for promotion in Div 1" side to an established Premier League side. This isn''t going to happen in one year. Yes, it did for Birmingham, but they had the financial backing. If we are going to model ourselves on Charlton, we need to remember that even they yo-yo''d for a couple of years.

I want to enjoy next year. We''re going to be playing in the best league in the world against some amazing players and clubs. I also want to be safe in the knowledge that if we do go staright back down, which lets face it could very well happen, that we won''t have to sell Hucks, Drury, McKenzie, Greeno etc. If that happened we would have gone forward one year and gone back five!

I don''t believe we''ll get a monkey. Nige is shrewd in his business and will bring in players who help and build on what we have already. We might just have to wait a few years before we buy the likes of Koumas, Earnshaw and Dawson!!

Rooney was a 16yr old earning 80 pounds a week at Everton !! .......... peanuts gets monkeys ?............. the very first move that Worthy should make is to get us a first rate SCOUT ! ..........the talent is out there waiting to be discovered ...... IN THE UK !!!

I have a certain amount of sympathy will just about all of the views on this thread, but I am trying to be as realistic as possible, in other words I don''t think we will see more than a couple more signings in the near future, and possibly not within the next five weeks. Again I may have my green and yellow specs firmly in place when I say that, if we have to run with the nucleus of last season''s squad plus a small number of additions, I will not be dissatisfied as I think that the players who got us up deserve the chance to prove their worth at a higher level and, in terms of effort and spirit, they will not disappoint. Where we may lose out is in the quality stakes, and if there is a need to address certain problem areas with a degree of urgency then Nigel will have been wise to keep back some of his limited funds to do just that. I feel that we must get things in perspective a bit here. We are in the same position as the Baggies were two years ago. If we are careful now we should be the stronger for having been prudent this coming season if we manage to remain in the Prem, and we should hopefully be able to retain most if not all of our key players for the assault on the Fizzy League if we don''t stay up - which someone else pointed out above.

My main worry is if we do get relegated,it could be much much harder to get promoted again,in the seasons ahead,as the premier league is almost certain to fall in line with uefa,in that the total number of clubs is cut down to size in the league.I think this is likely to happen in two seasons time,can you imagine then how many more quality sides will be fighting it out in the 1st division.I hope we grab this chance of premiership football with both hands,and not automaticaly think we will come straight back up if we do go down.

I think that the one thing that would make me sleep more easily in my bed would be to see a younger, quicker centreback brought in to play alongside one of either Malky or Flem. Although both are great defenders Malky in particular has always looked suspect against pace and just about every team we play next season will have that in abundance. This being the case his approach for Primus is welcome although like others above I feel 600K seems to be something of a token gesture (possibly due to the fact that to entice him away we are probably offering decent wages).

This is the one area we MUST stregthen before the season starts. Having said that I would also expect to see a striker and wouldn''t mind seeing some competition for Edworthy brought in as well. I do have faith in Worthy, I just wish he''d hurry up a bit!

So, is Gallacher a monkey then? Was Iwan better than Hux cos we paid more for him? Was Rivers better than Mackenzie and Svensson combined? Its way too simplistic to judge a signing on the size of the fee, because a number of factors are involved. e.g. what the other club paid for the player (crouch), their age (iwan), or the length of their remaining contract (primus).

And, we only have to look back to last year to see that signing players before pre-season isn''t a pre-requisite to their success!!

Ama

It definitely does feel like Worthy is hoarding the cash at the mo but I think he may very well be doing a very wise thing. Maybe he gets one or two more players before the start of the season but he will also have a chunk of money to spend when the next transfer window opens. Let''s not forget how effectively he used that last season. In the next window, we might see better quality players coming in at a better price and it may work out for us at the end of the season.

Crouch went for 2 million. That is an over-payment for an under-achiever. Is he worth twice as much as Hux? Or half of someone as proven as Viduka? I don''t think so.

While Hughes and Purse would have been nice acquisitions, it is also possible that Worthy felt that they may not fit in with the collegial atmosphere the team seems to have.

Have patience. We may get another Hux or two in the next month or in the next transfer window.

With all this being said, the single most important signing before the season is a central defender. Everything else can wait if the cards fall that way.

Canary in New York.

Interesting discussion, but ........

Let''s remember that the premiership transfer window closes on 31 August!
One effect here is that the closer to the deadline, the more the selling club can ''hold the buyer to ransom''

Mr Muzinic cost 300,000 pounds in 1973. Monkeys do not always cost peanuts!

OTBC

It goes without saying that next season will be hard. We all know that. Some of us have rose tinted glasses and some have varying degrees of optimism and pessimism. The only certainties are the budget and the common sence being displayed by Nigel and the board.

Next years income is not guaranteed, but there are some areas that are easy to quantify, full house every week etc. Five televised matches guaranteed in a season, which we already have, therefore there is a chance of more in the second half. How attractive this would be to the viewing audience if we are struggling is open to debate, but suffice to say Wolves were not on the telly much last year. A cup run, nearly every poster I have read says that this would not be in our interest, if the team feel the same it will not generate an income.

Our season ticket prices were set last year, most of us took up our options early. The players were on massive bonuses last year, which have already been paid. The extra Huckerby bonus for promotion has been paid.

We have made an additional commitment, not just for the Jarrold stand, which didn''t increase the capacity much, but also for the infill, both of which are long term debts which have to be budgeted for.

Most people agree this situation has put us in a position to invest 2/3 million on new players. They will demand signing on fees if no transfer payment is paid, probably if one is as well. Taking into account the fact that the whole squad will be on higher wages as well, we do not have much to play with. (money that is!)

Our nucleus is there, we can all see areas that need improvement or could be improved. Our squad, like last year, is not going to be large so don''t expect many more acquisitions and certainly not expensive ones.

Team spirit and togetherness, from us aswell, will be an important factor in our plans this year. Without it our budget will have to be blown which could lead to disastrous consequences.

So have faith in Nigel and the board, they afterall got us here and they may be keeping a little in reserve for the January window.

sheded...good point,but is''nt there a certain distance from the club where your only allowed to get young talent...something about a 90 mile radious??(hope i spelled that correctly!)