Sign in to follow this  
Chewbacca

Will we get our club back in League 1?

I''m more or less resigned to League 1 football next season now so am clutching at positives to draw from our pathetic demise.

One thing that has really struck me this season is the apathy I feel towards the players, I''ve never felt like that before watching Norwich, and feel that there is no rapport between the players and supporters. The high turnover of players over the last 2 seasons and reliance upon the loan system have contributed massively to this but also the total lack of leadership and influencial personalities within the squad. There is nobody within the squad to inspire players or supporters, and I believe this is as much to blame for our failure as a lack of talent.

Last season was poor, and despite not wanting or liking Roeder''s appointment the presence of Dublin and Huckerby within the squad were enough to keep the connection with the fans alive. Not only were they players capable of pulling something special out of the bag, but they wore their hearts on their sleeves and represented the lifeblood of our club on the pitch. I felt both had a strong rapport with the fans, and influence within the dressing room. I don''t think we can put any of the current squad within the the same bracket.

I don''t doubt that we have some decent ''club men'' within the squad but none that have either played regularly enough, or the posess the personalites, that would bond players and supporters. I imagine the dressing room to be a quiet place most of the time with nobody within the squad to keep it ''in check'' if heads dropped or conviction wained. A player that embodies this at present is David Marshall, a relatively talented player (despite his recent errors), but so quiet and timid, I can''t think of a goalkeeper I''ve seen interact less with supporters and his team mates.

If we should drop to League 1 we''d once again see several players come and go, but I would welcome seeing a handful of Norwich youth players among some seasoned campaigners at that level playing for our club and building something we can at least connect with, even if we don''t get promoted, I just want to feel something more than apathetic towards them all! Now simply asking for that really is scraping the bottom of the bottom of the ''ambition barrell'' but if a club like ours can''t at least engage players and supporters then we can''t fall any further from grace.  

Good shout. The supporters now have no-one to look on as a hero. Because he works hard Crofty gets most supporter''s vote these days but he is sadly lacking in guile, panache and flair to be a real hero.

What has happened to the thousands and thousands of pounds spent on youth development? Those are players that we really can identify with - Sutton, Gordon, Fox, Goss, Mendham, Eadie to name just a few off the top of my head. Who is you favoured ''local'' lad?

I am hopeful that whether we stay up or not, the management team will have the opportunity to bring in players that in theory complement what they were supposed to be bringing to the club - passion.

I am also sick of seeing players paid a ridiculous amount of money turn up and look as though they could not care less how well they play or the outcome of the game.  I know that all professionals are competitive and want to win etc but want to see them show this more. 

Cannot remember a less vocal captain either....

Can you remember how Dion used to march around to nearly every team member individually, or create a huddle before kick of? Who can you see doing that now?