Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

Very Disappointed....

How many others were disapponited and surprised to see Peter Crouch sign for Southampton. I really thought and felt that he would come back again.

I am gutted and need cheering up!

Perhaps DumbleDelia can do it with one of her fantastic posts? Please...I''m in a right old grumpy slump now.

Agreed Canary boy, I really thought bean pole peter was coming here, well I guess we just have to trust worthy to do the right thing, blimey, how thin is that line wearing??

It is disappointing, but the fee seems to be in the region of 2 million - a bit overpriced, and probably out of our price range.

Thank goodness for that - I for one would have been very disappointed City had wasted that sort of money on decidedly average player. He wasn''t worth the money and the sooner he is forgotten about the better - he did a job for us for a few games and that was that. The end - finished - enough said!

Where''s the surprise?, I mentioned two months ago, that I thought he was not as sincere as he was making out to be. Good riddance to very tall, and two faced rubbish I say, and well done Sir Nigel, for spotting it and not wasting the clubs valuable money on him.

Scouser and Wiz, you both make very good points, I guess I''m just frustrated about the lack of signings, I know we have to be patient but this seems to have been the longest summer ever!!

I thought he did a very good job for us here and would have liked to see him on a permanent basis and would have been chuffed to bits if he had signed. But £2 million was a lot of money and too much I think, especially if you think that Darren Huckerby was less than half of that. Well done Nige top man! Lets spend it wisely............ on a defender.

I still stand by my opinion that Crouch is not worth £2 million. I would have paid no more than £1 million for the bloke.

At the end of the day, we can''t be spending that amount of cash on players without a very good reason - that reason being either they are very very good, or that it''s for more than one player.

I''d like to see us sign Harewood from WHU. He''d be a good signing in my opinion, great pace and a great eye for goal.

I disagree. Peter Crouch has proven he can score goals in the Premiership as he did here, Pompey and Villa. You can bet that Southampton won''t be playing him in the reserves and that he''ll get a lot of goals for them. I think they have a bargain at 2 million.

And 1st Wiz, let''s hope he doesn''t punish us as I will be quoting what you say!

I am dissappointed too!

P.S. Dumbledelia is a young male.

in a way i am disappointed becasue he done really well here in his 3 months and was a really nice bloke, But no way should we spend all that money on just one player maybe, if that player had more experince but lets be hornest he ant got it the most he scored in a season was 14 i think for pompey, apart from that he is no goal machine. And after reading Iwan''s book there is a bit in there where hucks said after crouch went he much prfears playing with iwan becasue when crouch holds the ball and lays it off he likes to take a couple of touches or do a trick in that time hucks has been marked. lets all face it he is a good player but there alot better that we could get with that sort of price. maybe 750k-1m i would should have got him. oh well compare are signings to palace and WBA i think there alot better

Thanks for pointing that out cityangel! I was going to mention it! I too was a bit disappointed that Crouchy went to Southampton. However, £2M is outside our budget. Hopefully Worthy''s got something up his sleeve

Don''t think it would have been worth 2M to get Crouch now that we have Leon and Matt.
At least that spare us another year of speculation !
We need to spend most of what''s left in the kitty on a couple of decent defenders.
I hope Edworthy, Fleming and Mackay get their chance to prove themselves in the Premiership but we really do need some cover (apart from Shackell and Briggs).
I think left back is covered by brennan (although i expect we''ll see more of him in midfield next season when we won''t be so gung-ho with our strikers).

Several people have already said, quite rightly, that 2M was simply too much for us and for him. I''m sure he''ll get a huge welcome here next season, and I truly feel that if we had been able to offer the same as Southampton then he would have chosen us above them for reasons we are pretty well aware of...but it wasn''t to be. Good luck to him anyway, but I hope he saves his goals for teams other than us! Scoring at FCR just wouldn''t be cricket!

Now that Crouch has gone to Southampton, does anybody think that Brett Ormerod might be available? He''s a favourite and former target of Worthy''s, and might just be too similar to Crouch in style of play for Saints to keep. Proven premiership goal-scorer too.

at 2mill he was overpriced. Should link up well with Phillips though considering how good he was with Quinn at Sunderland.

As for bringing in Omeroyd instead? No.