Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Wal

SIGNINGS!

Blame has been aimed at the board, the manager and the players. The board are responsible for appointing the managers, the managers for aquiring the players. But how good is your memory? Who was the last GOOD player we signed - not LOANED, not AVERAGE but GOOD, truly a player to be proud of.

I must be losing my memory because I find it difficult to think of one since Hucks!

[quote user="Barclayman"]Er?

Carl Cort?
[/quote]

Case rested [:|].

Surely after yesterday you can see Carl Cort is not good enough either? Surely?

[quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]

[quote user="Barclayman"]Er?Carl Cort?[/quote]

[/quote]Carl looks decent enough to me. Not exactly ever going to set the division alight, but good enough to do a job. Would definitely want him in my squad, at least.

[quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]

[quote user="Barclayman"]Er?Carl Cort?[/quote]

[/quote] Cort has played well since his arrival and has given us a new option. 1 average game doesn''t make him a bad signing.

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"][quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]

Carl Cort?
[/quote]

[/quote]

Carl looks decent enough to me. Not exactly ever going to set the division alight, but good enough to do a job. Would definitely want him in my squad, at least.
[/quote]

Strange. Everybody around me in the ground thinks he''s absolutely useless. Yet everybody on here seems to love him ...

I don''t think he puts himself about enough. He can lay off a few, neat, simple passes and hold up the ball but apart from that, he doesn''t bring much to the team. He''s not going to jump for it very often, as he showed yesterday on a number of occasions. The most clear being when he could have really gone for one ball which forced the keeper to rush out and grab it in mid air. Cort should have jumped and hoped he got a head to it before the keeper, or at least make the keeper spill it. However, he just stood their and watched the keeper grab it.

He is not good enough for championship standard. Him and Cureton upfront is the least-talented forwardline I have ever seen at Carrow Road. And that is why we are losing the battle against relegation when everybody else is making a good effort of it.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]

Blame has been aimed at the board, the manager and the players. The board are responsible for appointing the managers, the managers for aquiring the players. But how good is your memory? Who was the last GOOD player we signed - not LOANED, not AVERAGE but GOOD, truly a player to be proud of.

I must be losing my memory because I find it difficult to think of one since Hucks!

[/quote]

David Bell, but Gunny soon rectified that. What a great turn and cross to set up their first.

As they are all inconsistent I think they can only be classed as average players,  they are better than average in this squad as they are in a poor team.  

Clingan appears too infrequently, is in a poor run at the moment and is living on his early season potential reputation,  Hoola continues to improve but like croft needs to be far better with his final ball to be truly good (says a big hoola fan) and Cort has to start scoring too...

Agreed Clingan is not a bad player, probably the best we have ....... but the question was GOOD ..... not the best of a poor bunch or average players.

Carl Cort looks like a good player. He''s only just reached full match fitness. The trouble is a target man was required since Iwan left. We have never replaced him apart from Ashton who we all knew would move on as quick as he could.

I think the problem is that in thinking back to Hucks you really are thinking of a different team entirely, one where we had a reasonably solid core that then allowed Hucks to have the high level of impact that he did.

Since Huckerby we have signed good players, but they have failed to have the same impact largely because the squad as a whole has been allowed to degenerate to such a poor standard.

Under Worthington, Ashton, Earnshaw and Dublin for me would all be classed as good players, and although he never really showed his capability until Roeder arrived Croft has proven himself at this level.

As for Grant - really he was a failure in the transfer market as virtually all of his purchases were a waste of money. I would however defend Marshall - while he makes mistakes he is a talented goalkeeper who is still improving.

Roeder - frankly I can''t criticise his permanent signings (his loan signings were more baffling, but more because he wasn''t using them). There is no doubt to my mind that Hoolahan, Bell, Clingan, and Stefanovic (before being injured) all added quality to the squad.

The wider problem is that none of these players added to an already solid team, but were basically part of a wider rebuilding effort that we didn''t complete, whether this was because Roeder was unable to convince players to sign or if the Board were unable/unwilling to put in the necessary funds is not something I know.

I do think perhaps on considering player signings you could ask yourself the question of ''would this player have added to our squad the year we won promotion?''. I think there''s a fair few who could have done.

The problem really in my view is that we have allowed the squad as a whole to seriously degenerate since relegation from the top flight.

Carl Cort?
[/quote]

[/quote]

Carl looks decent enough to me. Not exactly ever going to set the division alight, but good enough to do a job. Would definitely want him in my squad, at least.
[/quote]

Squad, yes. First team, however, no.

Most of our first team is made up of average squad players at best

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Yellow Wall"]

[/quote]

David Bell, but Gunny soon rectified that. What a great turn and cross to set up their first.

[/quote]

Ah, but was it Gunny, or did the Board pick up the scent of some more cash to be had, to put towards those splendid off the pitch assets?

[quote user="Tickers"]I think the problem is that in thinking back to Hucks you really are thinking of a different team entirely, one where we had a reasonably solid core that then allowed Hucks to have the high level of impact that he did. Since Huckerby we have signed good players, but they have failed to have the same impact largely because the squad as a whole has been allowed to degenerate to such a poor standard. Under Worthington, Ashton, Earnshaw and Dublin for me would all be classed as good players, and although he never really showed his capability until Roeder arrived Croft has proven himself at this level. As for Grant - really he was a failure in the transfer market as virtually all of his purchases were a waste of money. I would however defend Marshall - while he makes mistakes he is a talented goalkeeper who is still improving. Roeder - frankly I can''t criticise his permanent signings (his loan signings were more baffling, but more because he wasn''t using them). There is no doubt to my mind that Hoolahan, Bell, Clingan, and Stefanovic (before being injured) all added quality to the squad. The wider problem is that none of these players added to an already solid team, but were basically part of a wider rebuilding effort that we didn''t complete, whether this was because Roeder was unable to convince players to sign or if the Board were unable/unwilling to put in the necessary funds is not something I know. I do think perhaps on considering player signings you could ask yourself the question of ''would this player have added to our squad the year we won promotion?''. I think there''s a fair few who could have done. The problem really in my view is that we have allowed the squad as a whole to seriously degenerate since relegation from the top flight.[/quote]

would have to agree with that, and if had been given a little bit more cash and could have added Martin Taylor and a striker like Patterson or Iverson to those names, would we still be going down?

The problem is we don''t have a decent striker to play up alongside Cort. He is a decent target man but needs a poacher to play off him. Lupoli would have been fantastic...Martin wouldn''t have been too bad.. I think Cureton is making Cort look poor to be honest!

Carl Cort?
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

an average player in a p*ss poor squad is going to look good isn''t he? same with Clinkers.

jas :)