Sign in to follow this  
Beauseant

David Bell

To me, getting rid of Bell was a huge mistake, given his significant number of assists. A lot of people compared him to Crofty and found him wanting because he doesn''t run around all game or have great pace, but he proved a point yesterday. Not only did he produce a superb turn and cross for their first goal, but he hardly gave the ball away all game. Like Lupoli he has something which we lack, but sadly Gunny''s obsession with players who bleed yellow and green has cost us two players who could just have made the difference. Bell putting pinpoint balls onto Cort''s head with Lupoli picking up the pieces would have been something to see, but still, Curo loves the club doesn''t he?

[quote user="Beauseant"]

To me, getting rid of Bell was a huge mistake, given his significant number of assists. A lot of people compared him to Crofty and found him wanting because he doesn''t run around all game or have great pace, but he proved a point yesterday. Not only did he produce a superb turn and cross for their first goal, but he hardly gave the ball away all game. Like Lupoli he has something which we lack, but sadly Gunny''s obsession with players who bleed yellow and green has cost us two players who could just have made the difference. Bell putting pinpoint balls onto Cort''s head with Lupoli picking up the pieces would have been something to see, but still, Curo loves the club doesn''t he?

[/quote]
Lee Croft this season:

GamesGoalsAssists
David Bell (for Norwich):Games    Goals   Assists19               0           7

Bell created 7 goals in 19 appearances (including only 12 starts).Croft has created 3 goals and scored 4 in 33 appearances.Stats don''t lie, and neither did the facts yesterday:Bell - 1 assistCroft - jack

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]Completely, I said at the time it was possibly one of the stupidest things we''ve done.  Bell might not seem to put the "effort" in that Croft does, but he actually made far more of an impact.  Selling your leading assist maker when you are struggling at the bottom of the table is tantamount to footballing suicide, and couple that with getting rid of Lupoli and you''ve quite simply shot yourself in the foot.  Cureton is past it, but luckily he probably has a chance to prove himself in a league which is probably more his level next season [:''(]

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

Bell, Carney,Lupoli are just three that could have changed things.

Gunn has admited publicly that Clingan will go in the summer. Great PR and incentive for the guy. Anyone notice how his performance has dropped since?

A tactically naive manager with a basicaly inept,unmotivated, squad.

A board who are not only lost but don''t even know how or what they need to do. Other than get some money out and go (stuck like us supporters)

50 years ago I was happy to watch 3rd division football and look to the prospect of a brighter future. We have had that and some of us haven''t got the time or patience to wait again!! Depressed I am through that and out the other side into cold rational thought that might for the first time that I can remember NOT include my club!!

I think the reasons Bell left were apparent yesterday. Put simply, he didnt have the stones to be part of a relegation battle so went to a team where he doesnt really have a stick-out responsibility and will finish somewhere in midtable, with the occasional chance to get a playoff spot. 

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

Bell, Carney,Lupoli are just three that could have changed things.

Gunn has admited publicly that Clingan will go in the summer. Great PR and incentive for the guy. Anyone notice how his performance has dropped since?

A tactically naive manager with a basicaly inept,unmotivated, squad.

A board who are not only lost but don''t even know how or what they need to do. Other than get some money out and go (stuck like us supporters)

50 years ago I was happy to watch 3rd division football and look to the prospect of a brighter future. We have had that and some of us haven''t got the time or patience to wait again!! Depressed I am through that and out the other side into cold rational thought that might for the first time that I can remember NOT include my club!!

[/quote]

Ah yes, Carney. That would be the David Carney who was sensational in the second half at Wolves and has hardly featured since? I couldn''t believe Gunny''s appointment when it happened, but his gaffes become more bizarre each week. Why bring in Gow, who did really well at Blackpool and then not play him? Why persist with the worst fullback in the division? I could go on, but I''m too depressed.

[quote user="Fabregas- Poor Mans Ian Crook"]Bell wanted to leave and seriously looked like he couldn''t be bothered in his last few games here.
[/quote]

Could it possibly have to do with the treatment he got under Roeder and Gunn?

He clearly wanted to leave, so why force him to stay? You won''t get the best out of a player who doesn''t want to be here...

And bear in mind he was up against probably the worst right-back in the division yesterday. I''d probably look good against Semi.

Spot on Beau. There is one word that describes Bell and Lupoli - Class.

It seems you have to run around like a headless chicken to impress some.

As for those saying these players wanted to leave the club, this is nonsense. Both wanted regular first team football at their stage of their career and were treated disgracefully by this club.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Spot on Beau. There is one word that describes Bell and Lupoli - Class.

It seems you have to run around like a headless chicken to impress some.

As for those saying these players wanted to leave the club, this is nonsense. Both wanted regular first team football at their stage of their career and were treated disgracefully by this club.[/quote]Good post and agree with Beau. Bell is a better footballer than Croft - and achieves more too. IMO we have to use either Carney or Lappin now to provide the assists - I don''t see anyone else capable. Bell looks like ending the season as provider of the most assists  - even without his "contribution" yesterday.

[quote user="Fabregas- Poor Mans Ian Crook"] I think even cureton would look good against Jono[/quote]But JC would still lose out in the one on one with an empty goal though.[;)]

Mr ''i can only go fowards about 3 times a game, and that only cos Semmy let me'' Bell, such as shame he left, at least Croft and Hoolahan go fowards

I don''t think the club wanted to get rid of Bell - he wanted to go. In our position we could not afford to have a player who didn''t want to be there and the money was needed. Sad but true. Think he showed yesterday what he is capable of...shame he didn''t want to produce it in a Norwich shirt!!

Problem with David Bell was that he was a luxury player for us. More so than some other supposed luxury players we''ve had.

All he was there for was crossing and set pieces. He gave the ball away a lot with his short passing, he didn''t want to run into space (ball to feet or nothing), he didn''t look particularly likely to score goals and he definitely didn''t like tracking back or recovering the ball if he gave it away cheaply.

And when he started to lose interest his deliveries became poor - too short or too deep etc

If we were strong all over the pitch and we were playing well and getting results then David Bell would probably have continued to do well for us but we were struggling and we couldn''t afford to carry him just for a few assists, especially when his lack of team work was often leading to dangerous situations on our left hand side.

[quote user="GJP"]

Problem with David Bell was that he was a luxury player for us. More so than some other supposed luxury players we''ve had.

All he was there for was crossing and set pieces. He gave the ball away a lot with his short passing, he didn''t want to run into space (ball to feet or nothing), he didn''t look particularly likely to score goals and he definitely didn''t like tracking back or recovering the ball if he gave it away cheaply.

And when he started to lose interest his deliveries became poor - too short or too deep etc

If we were strong all over the pitch and we were playing well and getting results then David Bell would probably have continued to do well for us but we were struggling and we couldn''t afford to carry him just for a few assists, especially when his lack of team work was often leading to dangerous situations on our left hand side.

[/quote]

I think that''s a fair summation. For every advantage that Bell has over Croft in terms of delivery, he loses out in other catagories like pace and work ethic. For my money, neither are capable of playing at the highest level because they have fatal flaws in their games which are unlikely to ever be ironed out.

[quote user="Canary02 III"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

I think that''s a fair summation. For every advantage that Bell has over Croft in terms of delivery, he loses out in other catagories like pace and work ethic. For my money, neither are capable of playing at the highest level because they have fatal flaws in their games which are unlikely to ever be ironed out.

[/quote]Disagree strongly. What good is work ethic (or pace) if the ball isn''t delivered? Our strike force is so weak we need many more good deliveries in the hope they can latch onto one of them. Russell, Pattison and even Fotheringham will run and run on a good day. So what? As the man on the radio says - we need quality into the box. GJP - I''d pay Bell or ANO double "just for a few assists" - on the basis that assists are defined as a pass before a goal is scored. And if we don''t score goals....

[quote user="Binky"][quote user="Canary02 III"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Disagree strongly. What good is work ethic (or pace) if the ball isn''t delivered? Our strike force is so weak we need many more good deliveries in the hope they can latch onto one of them. Russell, Pattison and even Fotheringham will run and run on a good day. So what? As the man on the radio says - we need quality into the box. GJP - I''d pay Bell or ANO double "just for a few assists" - on the basis that assists are defined as a pass before a goal is scored. And if we don''t score goals....
[/quote]

Spot on. Bell''s stats are inarguable,with an assist in over 50% of his games for us, but there is still a widespread belief that workrate is the only thing that matters.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Binky"][quote user="Canary02 III"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Disagree strongly. What good is work ethic (or pace) if the ball isn''t delivered? Our strike force is so weak we need many more good deliveries in the hope they can latch onto one of them. Russell, Pattison and even Fotheringham will run and run on a good day. So what? As the man on the radio says - we need quality into the box. GJP - I''d pay Bell or ANO double "just for a few assists" - on the basis that assists are defined as a pass before a goal is scored. And if we don''t score goals....[/quote]

Spot on. Bell''s stats are inarguable,with an assist in over 50% of his games for us, but there is still a widespread belief that workrate is the only thing that matters.

[/quote]yep - and he delivered again yesterday - our goal came from a loose ball didn''t it???but what peed me off - was especially first 15 mins - we had some good crosses go in - especially from the left side - and i looked up to see 2 yella shirts surrounded by 6 black ones...clearly no good - why didn''t fozzy make a late run into the box - and crofty lurk at the far post just in case...

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Binky"][quote user="Canary02 III"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Disagree strongly. What good is work ethic (or pace) if the ball isn''t delivered? Our strike force is so weak we need many more good deliveries in the hope they can latch onto one of them. Russell, Pattison and even Fotheringham will run and run on a good day. So what? As the man on the radio says - we need quality into the box. GJP - I''d pay Bell or ANO double "just for a few assists" - on the basis that assists are defined as a pass before a goal is scored. And if we don''t score goals....
[/quote]

[/quote]

Likewise there''s a real underestimation of how important work rate is.

As Worthy would have said "you have to earn the right to play your football"