Sign in to follow this  
Mouse

Simon Charlton

I''m suprised that no-one has stated a thread on this subject yet. What do you think of him? Is he a good buy and better than what we already have?

Not really sure, don''t know much about him really, though one of my mates told me he had a really good season for Bolton, I''d put him down as "good squad player"

What the hell is going on? Simon Charlton? I must say, Worthy has proved me wrong before but this time i really do worry. Yet another ''honest, hardworking, journeyman'' This for me, signals our intentions compared to West Brom. It looks like we''re preparing for the start of the 2005-6 season in Div 1 already. 250K for a 32 year old on a 2 year contract. No better than we already have and likely to be nothing more than a squad man. Don''t we want to see competition?! Only Bentley in my view of all our signings will improve our first XI. Gutted. Everyone at work is laughing at us. Come on Worthy, sign someone who excites us and can actually draw a headline or two.

I see some peoples point that he is not a signing to excite but he does have cosiderable experience of the prem which could be cricial in the coming months. Bolton fans are gutted that he has left and are saying he will prove a good signing for us. Hopefully the striker whoever he may be will excite us a bit more than Charlton has as long as its not Scowcroft.

I have seen Charlton a few times on the TV this year and he has always performed pretty well. Dont worry too much about his age, with a good attitude and hard training he has a few miles on the clock yet. I disagree with the posts criticising the last couple of signings, I believe they are players who see the coming season as a great challenge and are not just freeloading. I hope that those who are against us signing Scowcroft are doing it for footballing reasons and not just because he has played for Ipswich - that would be a bit pathetic.

Judging by reaction of the Bolton fans Charlton is a top signing. He seems an excellent addition and for only £250k. BARGAIN- Worthy is proving a dab hand at finding hard working and loyal grafters. IMO just what we need to surprise the prima donna''s of the premiership. We have to play as a solid and balanced team and one big name could easily upset that balance.

All those who were waiting for big exciting names are being a bit optimistic/fanciful I reckon! We are not yet ready to sign big names- consolidation was always the name of the game and we would have jumped at being in the prem with these signings twelve months ago! Personally I would rather see a hard working 32 yr old defender than a jumped up egotistical striker who is only thinking of money......

Well done Worthy - I am ready to believe that Safri, Charlton et al will surprise a good many people. Now we just need a couple more- the problem is not lack of big name players but the number of players able to play at this level.

If you can still but the quality of Charlton for 250K we could even push for a defender, midfielder and striker...or am I now dreaming!!

Don''t know a great deal about him myself, other than what I''m reading with the rest of you, solid,professional, hard-working,left back that did a good job in the centre when needed for Bolton. Coped well with Henry and Shearer, has been there and done it , just what we need in my book. Bolton fans generally seem to think we have a bargain with this one, and are reluctant to see him go. Agree with the Vicar here, are best chance of staying up is with a good hard-working team and that''s what Worthy has and is building upon. WOuld love to see Primus added too, and I''ve feeling we''ll get him. I also think there might be a surprise in store with our new no.9 and that it will give us the ''exciting'' buy that seems required.

I think there''s still a presumption at the moment that Worthy knows what he''s doing. I''m willing to accept this until there''s any significant evidence to the contrary.

In my opinion, a very average Premiership player. But then, we are only aiming to be a very average Premiership club (this year at least), so he kind of fits in with our current level.

I''m sure he''s very hardworking, and professional, which is all well and good, but there are hundreds of hardworking players - it''s quality that we need, and I hope he has it.

I''m not having a go at the lad, I will support anyone who plays in the green and yellow, and I think he can certainly do a job in our squad, but it''s not the most inspiring signing now is it? I''m sure given the choice we''d all have rather had Purse.

I think Worthington has made some good transfer acquisitions, but people shouldn''t forget Briggs, Easton, Heckingbottom, Rivers - all of whom have been underwhelming or not even played. This whole ''trust Worthy'' thing is a bit of a falsehood. He has made as many bad buys as he has good. The one thing he has got in his favour though, is that when he realises someone isn''t up to scratch, he''ll get shot of them.

Here''s hoping Charlton will prove to be one of the good ones!

OTBC

Is it really a presumption ''Fool on the Hill'' ? Did you think the 03/04 season would see us Division 1 champions (by a long way) with Huckerby playing for us? What does Worthy have to do? Let''s all enjoy it.

Sure MG7 there have been some ''underwhelming'' buys but most managers make a few of those. You have to focus on the good buys and more importantly the team perfromances of which we can hardly complain. We won the division last year by the way - that''s why people ''trust Worthy''. Things are good at Norwich !!!

keep talking joe

re the people that laugh at you

ignore them, forget them, you support our club and maybe they don''t - that is their loss, forget it, it is all part of being a football fan, we are not chelsea, and won''t buy people for millions, i think simon charlton is a great signing, we have to survive the first season, and he has played for a smaller club who have survived - so he knows what it takes, so does worthy - i am sure we are due a few more surprises yet re transfers

as for someone who excites us, the feeling you will get when our team walk out at places like old trafford, highbury will be excitement enough - laugh at the killjoys and thank god you don''t support those down the road! In other words, count your blessings, you are a city fan, and that is excitement enough!!

No better than what we have already?

And yet he played in 38 league and cup games last season for a side that finished 8th in the Prem.

So if he''s no better than, say, Malky - does that mean Malky is good enough to play that many games and with that kind of success?

And he''s younger than Malky (a bit!).

I''d say he''s exactly what we need, a proven Prem player with a good few years left in him yet.

Ama

The quote of an average premier play is spot on - he will not set the world alight but we have Hux to do that for us, and if he goes about his job as quietly yet effectively as with Bolton he will be a star for us.

He has many seasons of prem experience to bring with him and every time I have seen him perform he has done very well - you dont play that many games being poor in a team that finished 8th. And there was some competition for defensive positions at Bolton last year. Importantly his distribution is better than Flem or Malks.

IMHO he is better than the players we already have at centre back and will prove to be a sound purchase. My concern is that he is very similar to both Malkay (who will surely be the one to miss out) and Fleming (just better at it), down to the lack of pace - he aint the quickest.

I would still like to see a central defender who has a bit of pace as that is a key difference between the two leagues - the sight of Ricardo Fuller continually turning and leaving a floundering Malky in his wake remains one of the enduring images of that last home game of the season - If Fuller can do that so can Yakubu, Johannsen, Boa Morte, Radzinski, let alone the real star strikers...

OTBC

Good swift, secret, strike by Worthy. Yet again. Noted from the PR he''d been tracking him for some time.
Public talk of Primus too who maybe, just maybe, the mobile CH we need, all bodes well.

With young Shackell on the fringe and old warhorses like Malky available, one more good defender makes me feel far more comfortable we''ll have a suitable flexible defensive squad.

Can''t think of many better than Malky for holding players such as Shearer, yes Shearer, Heskey and Fergusen - Rooney, Henry and Owen - NO.

You play the best team you have for the circumstances in front of you.